JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Digikoto (Offline)
New to JF

Japan ready for Fallout 3? - 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Only two days away... Well, I guess technically 1 day away if you are living there. How well do folks in and out of Japan think that FO3 will be received.

Having played and finished the game and the majority of it's sidequests, I can say that it wasn't what I expected it to be. I was a huge fan of Oblivion. (currently my #2 Favorite RPG of all time) With that in mind, I went into Fallout with high hopes and expectations. Unfortunately, I was let down quite a bit.

Don't miss me though, FO3 is a great game. It just didn't deliver in areas where I thought it should have. If you are considering buying it and want more details, you can check out this Play-By-Play.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-02-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikoto View Post
How well do folks in and out of Japan think that FO3 will be received.
Unfortunately, there aren't many Japanese here on JF, so don't expect to see many replies here.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

12-02-2008, 07:08 PM

I'm still perplexed at heading out to a random place in the map and falling into the main story again (Vault 112)...

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Crani (Offline)
Sillyassauros

Send a message via MSN to Crani
12-02-2008, 07:16 PM

The game hasn't fallen in the good graces of the folks at the japanese censoring comity, they a side mission that involved a nuclear bomb detonation that had something to do with WW2, I believe it was because of the names of the bombs, can't remember it...

Natural Born Headbanger
\m/

TAG Game
Score: Crani:51
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Censorship in Japan
Bethesda Softworks made changes to the Japanese version of the game, changing the side-quest "The Power of the Atom", in which players in the non-Japanese version of the game are given the option of either defusing or detonating a dormant atomic bomb in a certain city. Non-playable-character Mr. Burke has been taken out of this side-quest, rendering it impossible to detonate the bomb and leaving the player with only the choice of defusing or ignoring it. Also, the name of the mini-nuke weapon Fat Man was changed as it was a reference to the bomb dropped on Nagasaki.

Info taken from Wikipedia
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-02-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikoto View Post
Only two days away... Well, I guess technically 1 day away if you are living there. How well do folks in and out of Japan think that FO3 will be received.

Having played and finished the game and the majority of it's sidequests, I can say that it wasn't what I expected it to be. I was a huge fan of Oblivion. (currently my #2 Favorite RPG of all time) With that in mind, I went into Fallout with high hopes and expectations. Unfortunately, I was let down quite a bit.

Don't miss me though, FO3 is a great game. It just didn't deliver in areas where I thought it should have. If you are considering buying it and want more details, you can check out this Play-By-Play.
Well, there's one thing I disagree with. It is similar to Oblivion, but it is NOT Oblivion. It's Fallout. You shouldn't be disappointed when something is not what you should not have been expecting. Fallout and Oblivion are entirely different games. I don't mean to sound pushy, but if you want to recommend a game or just a brief review, relate it solely to the product. Otherwise, bias will become evident and it may mislead people. The reason why I say this is, I've been enticed by countless games because I read reviews that falsely advertise similarities between them and other games that I really love. So I get the game, and lo and behold, I'm quite let down. Either that or they assume "if you like (blank1), you'll love (blank2)." Anyway, there's my rant -.-;;

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Digikoto (Offline)
New to JF

12-02-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikado View Post
Well, there's one thing I disagree with. It is similar to Oblivion, but it is NOT Oblivion. It's Fallout. You shouldn't be disappointed when something is not what you should not have been expecting. Fallout and Oblivion are entirely different games. I don't mean to sound pushy, but if you want to recommend a game or just a brief review, relate it solely to the product. Otherwise, bias will become evident and it may mislead people. The reason why I say this is, I've been enticed by countless games because I read reviews that falsely advertise similarities between them and other games that I really love. So I get the game, and lo and behold, I'm quite let down. Either that or they assume "if you like (blank1), you'll love (blank2)." Anyway, there's my rant -.-;;
Let me clarify my point since I get this response alot.

Number 1, this is not a review. And it is purposely not a review. it was just my personal experience with the game. It is going to be biased. I did summarize it with Objectivity at the end and draw the line between my bias and the game on its own merits.

I did not expect Fallout in anyway to be Oblivion. What frustrated me was the short cuts they took how tedious certain features with the game were.

My disappointment (related to Oblivion) lies solely in the fact that I felt that this game, to me, was not as good as Oblivion. The differences they have don't really bother me too bad. In fact, if you read the Play By Play, you'll probably see that the similarities they have disappointed me more than their differences. (repetition, fetch quests, etc)

I just felt that, all around, Oblivion was more fun to play. And since this game was put together by the same developers, with a similar engine used for that particular game, I felt it should have taken the benchmark set by Oblivion and crushed it with awesome presentation and gamplay. (even if that gameplay was different)

If I had never played Oblivion, my frustrations with Fallout would have been similar. Not quite as severe I'm sure, but similar none-the-less.

So, long story short, I welcome change and difference... The game just didn't live up to my expectations. Oh... and I did not take you as pushy. I welcome feedback. Helps us improve.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-03-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Censorship in Japan
Bethesda Softworks made changes to the Japanese version of the game, changing the side-quest "The Power of the Atom", in which players in the non-Japanese version of the game are given the option of either defusing or detonating a dormant atomic bomb in a certain city. Non-playable-character Mr. Burke has been taken out of this side-quest, rendering it impossible to detonate the bomb and leaving the player with only the choice of defusing or ignoring it. Also, the name of the mini-nuke weapon Fat Man was changed as it was a reference to the bomb dropped on Nagasaki.

Info taken from Wikipedia
That's a shame. I wonder why they just didn't change the name for both versions?

The game is set in a universe entirely different to WW2
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Digikoto (Offline)
New to JF

12-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
That's a shame. I wonder why they just didn't change the name for both versions?

Politics my brotha! They are always unnecessary and usually without reason.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-03-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I'm guess is that changing the names would just cause the unnecessary confusion.

Quote:
And it's one of the main reasons why I love Fallout. Unlike other post-apocalyptic games, it's universe is set after 2077 but the whole artwork and story was influenced by the paranoia and fiction of the 40s and 50s, where it seen that in the world of Fallout, life never really moved to a new perspective, hence, the 50s feel.