JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Video Games & Toys (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-video-games-toys/)
-   -   Xbox NXE (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-video-games-toys/20976-xbox-nxe.html)

MMM 11-19-2008 09:00 PM

Xbox NXE

NXE launches in North America today (I am not sure about the rest of the world).

What do you think? thumbs up? thumbs down?

Crani 11-19-2008 10:00 PM

I'm a bit concerned about the new Dashboard, it looks to childish and does Avatars are just a blunt rip-off the Miis, and the Xbox is target to a more adult public, unlike the Wii, and this may just make the 360 look like a kiddy console, but it may be nothing and you can always use the original dashboard, although they could have made a more mature alternative... As for the rest, I'll just have to wait and actually test it myself, too bad we won't have the movie and tv series on Demand here, that would be a good reason to get some MS Points and spend them.

Sinestra 11-19-2008 10:14 PM

Iv only played around with a little during my lunch break but it seems more user friendly and really just sucks you into the xbox experience. Not to mention the Netflix deal is going to make Microsoft even more cash. Will write more once iv had more time to explore.

MMM 11-19-2008 11:07 PM

I just heard Sony pulled their movies from Netflix on NXE.

Crani 11-19-2008 11:34 PM

Sounds like something Sony would do, and microsoft would do the same thing, if they had a studio... And that may slow Microsoft down, because Sony as a lot of shows and movies that are very popular.

Nyororin 11-19-2008 11:45 PM

It also came out yesterday (11/19) in Japan.
The studio/video/etc content bit has no effect over here as neither 360 nor the PS3 actually offers that sort of service in Japan...

MMM 11-19-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 629954)
The studio/video/etc content bit has no effect over here as neither 360 nor the PS3 actually offers that sort of service in Japan...

I am surprised...I would think that kind of online content would be a hit among the otaku shut-ins.

Nyororin 11-20-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 629959)
I am surprised...I would think that kind of online content would be a hit among the otaku shut-ins.

It`s not an issue of whether it would sell or not - It would be a hit with pretty much anyone, as it would be a lot easier and quicker than going to the store to borrow a DVD and likely in higher quality.

But they don`t bother to offer the service, so no one has the opportunity. It isn`t as if they`ve tried and failed.

kenmei 11-20-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 629954)

Nyororin is a gamer :eek:

(..the more you know)

MMM 11-20-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenmei (Post 629986)
Nyororin is a gamer :eek:

(..the more you know)

Never would have guessed it.

Tyrien 11-20-2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 629929)
I just heard Sony pulled their movies from Netflix on NXE.

Why wouldn't they? Sony has a competing video rental service on PSN. It would be foolish to let Xbox-netflix access to have distribution rights to their movies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crani (Post 629898)
I'm a bit concerned about the new Dashboard, it looks to childish and does Avatars are just a blunt rip-off the Miis, and the Xbox is target to a more adult public, unlike the Wii, and this may just make the 360 look like a kiddy console, but it may be nothing and you can always use the original dashboard, although they could have made a more mature alternative... As for the rest, I'll just have to wait and actually test it myself, too bad we won't have the movie and tv series on Demand here, that would be a good reason to get some MS Points and spend them.

Software sells hardware, not the other way around.

wilsontheterrible 11-20-2008 02:10 AM

From what I've seen its pretty good, no major problems to report, and I actually like the funky little avatar guy. I'm just waiting for them to add more customizability so I can see exactly how the scum of live manage to abuse it :rolleyes: .

All in all, I like it.

Nyororin 11-20-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 630003)
Never would have guessed it.

Really? We have all the consoles. :P
Also, a subscription to Famitsu.

Sinestra 11-20-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 630121)

WOW learn something new everyday never would have guessed.

Well i took sometime last night and messed around with it for a bit. Over all not bad they have cleaned up the interface and made more user friendly its a lot easier to access the Blades that you want with having to flip through bunch of other crap. With so much content on Live it was getting frustrating finding things.

The avatars are neat but not really a big deal to me. I think what makes NXE interesting is how Microsoft tries to draw you in. Instead of just scrolling through a bunch of your friends names it gets interactive lets you see what your friends are playing or watching. I also like that now you scroll horizontally instead of vertically. Each menu serves a purpose and is easy to access and use.

I have not tried the Netflix yet but i might try to stream some movies this weekend and see how i like it. Im sure its going to be compressed all to hell so im not sure how well the HD quality will be like.

The only snag i ran into was when selecting a friend in the new menu to send them a message or read a message. When you go back out to the main friends area it had a little lag when updating all the friends on your list again and while the system in doing that you cant do anything. Other than pretty solid i cant wait to see what other goodies they will throw at us eventually.

MMM 11-20-2008 07:40 PM

I am more happy with it than I expected. The Avatars are no big deal and Netflix worked well, though I wish there were more movies available.

MMM 11-20-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 630121)

What is Famitsu?

Crani 11-20-2008 09:56 PM

I just received an e-mail regarding the Xtival, it looks like Microsoft is taking a page from the "Second Life" book, is it a good strategy? Looks like, they are just gathering other platforms best features and slapping them on the Xbox 360, it sounds like a good idea, but I would like to seem them doing something fresh, instead of just stealing others ideas.

Shiningmonkey 11-20-2008 11:51 PM

I like the NXE but I hate how you can't change clothes colors. -.-

Nyororin 11-21-2008 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 630345)
What is Famitsu?

ใƒ•ใ‚กใƒŸ้€š - The main gaming magazine in Japan.

I find it a bit strange that my life seems to be shrouded in such mystery. :D

Anyway, to go back on topic... I played around with it a bit, and it does seem to be a lot more streamlined and easy to access than the previous menu system. Plus, I really like the in-game menu. It comes up reasonably quickly, instead of taking forever and laggily jumping out at the side.

Yuna7780 11-21-2008 03:48 AM

I've been reading about this in GI. I heard that it's being delayed in America until spring, I think.

It's probably going to be a really good things for the 360, especially with movies.

I don't really like the new avatars because it's a rip off of the Miis. But it'd still be fun to make a person! :D

MMM 11-21-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 630773)
I've been reading about this in GI. I heard that it's being delayed in America until spring, I think.

It's probably going to be a really good things for the 360, especially with movies.

I don't really like the new avatars because it's a rip off of the Miis. But it'd still be fun to make a person! :D

It's out now. The avatars are different enough from Miis that it doesn't feel like a ripoff so much, and they are only really used when dealing with your online friends.

SerApHimJhazz 11-21-2008 04:21 AM

We have the NXe dashboard here.. and it is really good the thing is that the avatars do look childish but I think microsoft did a great job on this one plus the netflix.. I myself have already the avatar in my gamertag... the cool thing is that if yopu log in to xbox.com you will still see a full body shot of your avatar beside your gamertag

Rose 11-21-2008 06:32 AM

I've heard people are having crazy fun customizing their avatars and loving the new look and faster loading times. I haven't tried it myself though.

SerApHimJhazz 11-21-2008 07:41 PM

I have already tried the NXE and it rocks.........

Yuna7780 11-22-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 630783)
It's out now. The avatars are different enough from Miis that it doesn't feel like a ripoff so much, and they are only really used when dealing with your online friends.

ooo.

Anyway, my bff's XboxLive has been acting crazy lately. Her internet connection is fine, and all the devices for the 360 to go online are okay. Do you think maybe the new NXE might be affecting it?

Sinestra 11-25-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 631487)
ooo.

Anyway, my bff's XboxLive has been acting crazy lately. Her internet connection is fine, and all the devices for the 360 to go online are okay. Do you think maybe the new NXE might be affecting it?

what kind of crazy problems is your friend having be specific?

SerApHimJhazz 02-21-2009 05:12 AM

Hmmm.. that depends if she is using a router you need to open some ports on your router if you are having problems...

Kenpachi11 02-21-2009 05:21 AM

mine and my bro started to act up when it was getting the three-red rings of death.