JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

Games that have scared you or permanently scarred you in your youth - 12-23-2008, 02:48 AM

I was cleaning up my TV stand, thinking about some games, and I suddenly had this thought for a thread.

I was wondering what video games have permanently scarred you or have totally made you freak out when you were younger.

Here are my weird stories:

I think Banjo-Kazooie was released for the N64 when I was at least six or seven. My brother and I played the game often, but every time we'd play... I'd cry over the witch. I often had dreams of Gruntilda chasing me with her horrible puns and rhymes, basically scarring me as a child. The weird monsters in the game made me think they would eat me too.

Now that I look back on Banjo-Kazooie, that was probably my favorite N64 game, but scared me shitless when I was real little. But what was worse was Banjoo-Tooie.

I think I was eight at the time Banjo-Tooie was released. I was proudly in second grade and totally excited for it to be in my N64. After I started playing and got to the King Jinjo turning into a Zombie... I was in fear of the King Jinjo-Zombie-Hybrid killing me in my sleep.

I think the old 007 James Bond game for the N64 scarred my relationship with my brother. He's six years older than me, and he always kicked my ass in the meanest way whenever we played. Surprisingly, I was never scared of this game when I was little. Because of his cruel intentions when we played, I think that's why my brother and I now are always on bad terms for silly reasons. Same thing with Mario Kart.

Odd World Munch's Odyssey freaked me out when I first got an Xbox. I have no clue why, but I think it's because everybody in that game is dirty and disgusting. I had weird nightmares from that game when I was a youngin'.

Dr. Mario sometimes scared me when I was little. My dad would play for hours and it would get so intense. Those little fuzzball-evil-things would freak me out.

I have a few other games that scared me when I was little, but I can't remember what some of them were. lol. The irony of this all is that Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and basically any other brutal game doesn't freak me out nowadays.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#2 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

12-23-2008, 02:53 AM

The only game that I can remember I was scared by was Resident Evil. My mum used to play it all the time (she's a zombie fan ;P) and I used to love watching her play it even though it freaked me out. n_n

There was this one scene in the game where it showed a zombie on the floor eating some dead person..then it turned its head around and the camera zoomed right up on it. I was so scared by that I couldnt even look at the screen lol.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

12-23-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
The only game that I can remember I was scared by was Resident Evil. My mum used to play it all the time (she's a zombie fan ;P) and I used to love watching her play it even though it freaked me out. n_n

There was this one scene in the game where it showed a zombie on the floor eating some dead person..then it turned its head around and the camera zoomed right up on it. I was so scared by that I couldnt even look at the screen lol.
lol! Claire, that's so funny. I can imagine a cute little kid of you freaking out.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 02:57 AM

Yuna, you've got great taste in games

Things that scarred me the most were Silent Hill 2 (everything), and Shadows of the Empire when you fought the HUGE dianoga in the sewers under coruscant. The horror...

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-23-2008, 02:59 AM

Uhh...I'll admit I'm easily frightened by anticipation, not necessarily the actual material. Doom 3 scared the living sh*t out of me at times because of that anticipation. Some areas in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl with Oblivion Lost 2.2 sincerely scared me though, like the X18 and X16 labs. Bloodsuckers just freak me out in general. XD

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot Silent Hill 2. Scariest game ever. I couldn't stand watching my brother play. And he couldn't stand playing either, hahaha.

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#6 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

12-23-2008, 03:00 AM

The massage scene in Final Fantasy X-2. DX
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

12-23-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
Yuna, you've got great taste in games

Things that scarred me the most were Silent Hill 2 (everything), and Shadows of the Empire when you fought the HUGE dianoga in the sewers under coruscant. The horror...
Are you serious that SH2 scared you? lol. That's one of my all time FAVORITE games, but I was never seriously scared. hehe. I think it was due to the fact every time my brother used the computer, I was playing it and he'd make fun of Pyramid Head's weirdness. But I did cry in the end.

Plus, SH3 actually made me freak out at moments. lol SH1... It was just amazing. Especially when pterodactyls, midgets with knives in schools, and nurses with rusty pipes in hospitals attacked me. That game was depressing...

Sorry, I'm a HUUUGE SH fanatic since about seventh grade. lol

OMG! Another really scary game is Call of Cthulu (Xbox/PC)!! There are fishmen who want to KEEEL you and it's so freaky. It takes place in the 1930s based after H.P. Lovecraft's really weird/awesome short stories. Sometimes there are bolts on the doors while the fishmen chase you and I totally freak out when I play. Sometimes the bolts are on the bottom of the doors and I forget and spaz, resulting in me dying. I seriously want to cry when I play sometimes. In the end... I never saved Ruth...

Another intense game is Indigo Prophecy. It was never that scary, but the theme is dark and makes you wonder as you play. lol. It's fun taking pills and drinking beer, making you die. The ending was stupid, though.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 03:11 AM

Silent Hill made me jump out of my skin, and I'm still traumatized by the ending I got and the encounters with pyramid head and... basically the whole game! It's just so creepy and haunting, it's a great mystery.

Call of Cthuhlu looked amazing, I love that mythology. Have you ever played Clive Barker's Undying? Now that is a scary game, I couldn't even finish it when i was a kid.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

12-23-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie2590 View Post
The massage scene in Final Fantasy X-2. DX
lol. I second that.

What made me sort of scared in fifth grade was in FFX when they told Tidus that Yuna would "die" if she killed Sin. That makes me cry every time I play. Yuna luff♥♥♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikado View Post
Uhh...I'll admit I'm easily frightened by anticipation, not necessarily the actual material. Doom 3 scared the living sh*t out of me at times because of that anticipation. Some areas in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl with Oblivion Lost 2.2 sincerely scared me though, like the X18 and X16 labs. Bloodsuckers just freak me out in general. XD

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot Silent Hill 2. Scariest game ever. I couldn't stand watching my brother play. And he couldn't stand playing either, hahaha.
I LOVE DOOM3!! I used to play it on my old Xbox and it was sometimes scary. I didn't think it was too bad. But being stuck on Mars makes me get goosebumps.

And I'm also having another," I can't believe it's not butter!" moments about SH2.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#10 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
12-23-2008, 03:12 AM

A really weird game that I don't even remember how I got it.

Creatures 0_0

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question