JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TakedaFanBoy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to TakedaFanBoy
MGS 4: Guns of the Patriots - 02-25-2009, 11:41 PM

Alright, so I bought MGS4 and I have to say I wasn't too impressed with the story.
I mean, Kojima changed so much. What the hell man?
He took out the voice of Liquid with Ocelots regular voice.
And that fit the transformation so well!

Then there were the Beast bosses...that clearly shows off Kojima as a complete and shameless pervert. Bad move Kojima, bad.
The bosses from MGS and MGS2 were pure masterpieces. But THESE were the works of a clear pervert.
And even the game itself is no longer a stealth game as it used to be. It was more along the lines of a shooter. Like Gears of War. Sad.

And many more problems.

On the plus side, we find out a lot about the patriots and the origins of the some of the characters from MGS3.

And then...there was the secret ending. :O
For those who don't know, go buy MGS4 and find out. -points to store-

Scholar
"He is both the Tiger and the Dragon."
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-25-2009, 11:42 PM

Yeah man, i love this movie!

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-26-2009, 12:46 PM

WARNING: This entire post contains spoilers for those that haven't beaten Metal Gear Solid 4!!!

In my opinion, the story was the best simply ebcause the plot twists were at least as big as any other of the games, and the characters were even more real this time. In terms of characterization, MGS4 wins hands down.

The Beast bosses shows that he's a pervert... how? :S just because some boss here or there got molested or whatever doesn't make him a perverted. Shit like that happens in real life, and I for one am glad that Konami didn't shy away from including stuff like that. It happens here, it happens in the game.

The bosses from MGS2 were far from masterpieces. Fortune was VERY generic, aside from her "you can't-shoot-me" madskillz, Fatman was so-so, nothing particularly special about him, and Vamp made a return in MGS4 so equal brilliance there.

The boss fight between Rex and Ray in MGS4 is EPIC. Claim otherwise and you're NUTS. That entire scenario was like a wet dream! The beasts were mostly fun, though some (like Raven) were annoying. That first one, the stealthy one, was quite fun, IMO. Snake VS Liquid was also cool ^_^

The game makes it clear that you can stealth your way through things, and shoot your way through things. I used a combination of both. Another nice point in MGS4 since half of the time, it really was easier to simply sneak by rather than shoot. It's part of the story that warfare is routine, more open, and more controlled. Not stealthing through anything was fine with me

The fourth was the best in my opinion, best story, best gameplay and awesome mecha fight First I was disappointed that Snake didn't kill himself because that would've been a great ending in my opinion (either that, or that he died getting fried up). But, the plot twist at the end (BIG BOSS IS BLEEPING ALIVE!!!) kind of makes up for it =)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sinner (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to Sinner
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM

Still a lovely game.
But in my opinion, not as good as MGS 1-3.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TakedaFanBoy (Offline)
New to JF

Thumbs down 03-05-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
The Beast bosses shows that he's a pervert... how? :S just because some boss here or there got molested or whatever doesn't make him a perverted. Shit like that happens in real life, and I for one am glad that Konami didn't shy away from including stuff like that.
The MGS4 beasts were trite in the sense that when you beat them they all died the same way(crouched on the floor, turned to stone); then when shedding their armor revealing the beaty, and even worst was the way the beauty's attacked. Hugging?
Pervert? YES.
Then Drebin calling you up and telling a pathetic sob story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
The bosses from MGS2 were far from masterpieces. Fortune was VERY generic, aside from her "you can't-shoot-me" madskillz, Fatman was so-so, nothing particularly special about him, and Vamp made a return in MGS4 so equal brilliance there.
Vamps returned was sullied, there was NO BRILLIANCE here.
In MGS2, this flat character was enhanced by Fortunes persona which fit very well.

Scholar
(#6 (permalink))
Old
TakedaFanBoy (Offline)
New to JF

03-05-2009, 03:57 AM

Additional post:
The bosses from MGS1 & 2 died completely different, impacting, poignant deaths. Thats more than enough to say from the beasts.
And even then, when you WERE going to fight a boss, it didn't seem like if you were going to. I was actually surprised when I fought Fortune in MGS2 in Strut A. I was never expecting her to just pop in to say hello.

Not just that, the MGS1 & MGS2 bosses had GREAT persona's.
Each one motivated by something they wished to succeed in, while these beast girls had nothing that was impressive in any sense. They were mindless machines who couldn't think for themselves. All thinking that Snake, SNAKE for crying out loud, would save them somehow.
This is retarded.

In MGS2 Fortune was planning to turncoat on Solidus. It shows she actually thinks.

And another thing Kojima changed were the long and very famous cutscenes Kojima was very well known for. (MGS2 for example: Snakes narrative of the tanker was pure genius.)

Scholar
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-05-2009, 07:58 AM

Well then your opinion simply differs from mine as I didn't let the "boss"-thing bother me, because the bosses from MGS3 were more or less the same thing (the Cobra Unit). It felt you found out more about them in MGS4, and any backstory to me is fine. I found their stories interesting, actually.

As for the great personalities thing, I didn't catch that much from the bosses of MGS2. In my opinion Fortune was as shallow as any other boss, and Fatman and Vamp even more so (before MGS4, I didn't understand Vamp at all, and his supernatural-thing bothered me in a way Psycho Mantis didn't). Also, MGS2 had looong boring codec calls (Raiden and his girlfriend) which I couldn't stand because Raiden was moaning about things all the time... during his mission. Outside the mission, fine. During the mission? No. For what it's worth, MGS2 to me is only fun during the Tanker episode. The bosses from MGS1 are quite awesome, agreed.

But I don't play Metal Gear Solid just for the boss fights. It was perfectly fine with me that the bosses weren't all that great, because that allowed the focus to stay on the things I found more important and interesting: Snake's dilemma, the relationships between the various main characters, Otacon, Naomi, Meryl, Ocelot, etc. And as I mentioned before, characterization was the best so far with this game, and how the story evolved was also awesome. Unlike MGS2 which felt like it ripped off MGS1.

One more thing. Metal Gear Solid is a game. Shorter cutscenes for me was fine, because I actually REALLY enjoyed playing the game this time. I suppose you and I just feel different, and that's fine, but I'm just pointing out that maybe you're looking at just the bad spots of the game, and that you should try to see the whole picture, and try to remember why you're actually playing the game.

PS: Half-naked Meryl, girls in lingerie posters, "make love to me, Snake!", a naked Raiden... that isn't perverted then? I don't know about you, but the fact that the bosses just tried to hug you doesn't seem perverted to me. But the way that they approached and tried to harm you was scary in my opinion, because it's quite different from the erratic, violent method they used earlier.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DigitalFreya (Offline)
New to JF

07-03-2009, 09:34 AM

MGS1 Good video game

MGS2 Half Movie

MGS3 Very good video game

MGS 4 Full Movie
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-22-2009, 05:46 AM

I love the game. Yes, Kojima is a pervert, and thats funny and i love it.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#10 (permalink))
Old
MarkDuff (Offline)
*yawns*

07-25-2009, 07:10 AM

I have to agree with Alastor because MGS4 blew me out of the water i loved the game and still do can't get enough of it, as for mgs2 i found it to be a turn off cuz i didn't care for it cuz in my opinion it sucked lol i prefered the 1 and 3rd over the 2nd the 3rd was awesome cuz there were all kinds of stuff you could do in the game i mean it blew the 2nd out of the water like the 4 did lol to be honest i prefered the 3 the best cuz it was just awesome but the 4th with its awesome grafics and warfare was just amazing and like Alastor said the bosses in the 2nd were kind of shity to be honest...about the best fight was with solidus which even then wasn't so great

My JF family and D.N.A. And Perv Club. Oh and please sign my Guest book. And please no bad comments
FINAL FANTASY CLAN: CODE NAME: AURON