JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
Post Legacy of Japanese Toys/Anime Action Figures - 02-21-2007, 05:35 AM

Yeah… I’ve been wondering why no one’s posted anything about toys in this thread since you know; it’s called the Japanese Toy and Video Games thread.
So yeah, I’ve decided to be one of the first amongst the JF members to post something like that up (forgive me if there’s already a thread on this ^_^)

Here goes then:
Although modern toys are immensely popular in Japan, traditional toys still play a significant role in the lives of most Japanese children. Often these toys are folk toys that reflect the customs, history, and legends of Japan (or a particular region of Japan).Traditional toys are particularly popular among both children and adults during the holiday of the Japanese New Year. These toys reflect the spirit and history of Japan throughout the age.
As is the case in many other countries, handcrafted playthings have amused children for centuries in Japan. Images of common toys such as tops, balls, kites, dolls, and miniature models of various real-life figures and objects illustrate the beautiful skill and artistry of Japanese toy-makers. Many toys can be traced to a religious or supernatural origin, reflecting the beliefs and stories associated with Buddhism and Shintoism ^_^

Below are just a few of the many traditional Japanese toys =P

Most people living in the U.S. can remember the mania surrounding The Power Rangers action figures, Tamagotchi virtual pet, Pokemon trading cards, and Playstation 2 video game console. Before every making their way across the ocean, these toys were also huge hits in Japan. However, there are many more toys in Japan that never see the light of day in the U.S. By taking a glimpse at any of the various Japanese toy retailers online, one quickly realizes that the country is flooded with different types of action figures, electronic toy gizmos, collectibles, and video games. Hopefully the examples provided further on will not only remind you of popular Japan-to-U.S. import toys from the past, but also open your eyes to this inner world of Japanese toys, beyond the Power Rangers and Pokemon

The most popular action figures in Japan are based on anime (Japanese animation) shows and/or movies. Shows like Dragonball Z and Gundam Seed have spawned a slew of collectible figures XD~! From mechanical robots or cyborgs to mystical creatures and mere mortals, the range of Japanese action figures is quite broad. The most popular figures are often those depicting characters from well-known television shows (e.g., Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon), video games (e.g., Final Fantasy), and movies (e.g., The Nightmare Before Christmas, Toy Story, Godzilla). The history of "modern" Japanese action figures extends well back to the 1960's when the immensely recognizable (in Japan, that is) super hero Ultraman appeared on television screens on a show of the same name. Glancing over collector's sites on the web, one can clearly trace the lineage of action figures in Japan throughout the various decades since. There appears to also be a large market for importing these action figures into the United States, as many fans of the various anime shows are also avid collectors of their respective figures.

Japan is without a doubt the world leader in video game production. Anyone familiar with the world of video games knows that almost every technology, every piece of equipment, and every game is built and released in Japan first. Japan is home to video game mega-companies.

And that's what Japan gaming's all about, rock on!!

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 02-21-2007 at 05:43 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

02-21-2007, 05:55 AM

Sweet I have a couple of Japaneses toys lol

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Rikku777 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Rikku777
02-21-2007, 05:58 AM

What a wonderful thread!!!!! The research was well put together!! I would like to add some photos, I don't think I could touch on much more than Coolnard already has!!! The photos are of the ever populay Yu-gi-oh Egyptian God Cards, Kingdom Hearts action figures, and a random picture I found that I thought was cute!!! Enjoy!
dragonballzcentral_1934_41447147.jpg

dragonballzcentral_1934_359207452.jpg

dragonballzcentral_1938_191369087.jpg

toys1.jpg
(#4 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

02-21-2007, 06:01 AM

wow lol, those are better examples of the ones i posted up :P

i wish kanji would come back soon and post the deathnote figurines up

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Rikku777 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Rikku777
02-21-2007, 06:07 AM

AAAHHH!!!! I forgot!!! Special message to L!! PLEASE POST UP YOUR DEATH NOTE FIGURES!!!!!!

Coolnard, yours were fine, I was actually interested in seeing the old school ones anyway!!!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

02-21-2007, 06:07 AM

Here are some Trigun action Figures ^_^

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#7 (permalink))
Old
fuu (Offline)
blargh whatever

02-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Man I have to get a didgital camera. I have so many toys lying everywhere in my house, I could probably start my own toy store. Most of them are the kids but I have a few of my own. My prized Monkey D Luffy action figure.

FEAR ME!!!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

02-21-2007, 01:35 PM

aH..!! i love one piece!! XD i'd love for u to post up one asap, fuu!

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

Figures of Death Note - 02-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Wow Nard-kun, a very impressive thread, I am liking this burst of inspiration you have been having. Keep it up, and I was asked to post these little babies:

Medicome will release two Death Note action figure/dolls in September 2007 with price around 15000Yens (around $124 US!) each. These figurines are highly posable and come with real fabric cloths. They will probably come with interchangeable hands. L drinking tea and Raito holding apple, etc.

Last edited by Kanji_The_Wanderer : 02-21-2007 at 04:07 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM

Those are awesome, Kanji! What size are they?