JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-02-2009, 03:31 AM

Another Halo game was announced. At least it's being handled by Bungie. ODST looked pretty sweet.

That Star Wars The Old Republic trailer definitely has me excited. Maybe it will be a WoW killer.

Hopefully some previews on Bioshock 2 and Assassin's Creed are released soon.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-02-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
Another Halo game was announced. At least it's being handled by Bungie. ODST looked pretty sweet.

That Star Wars The Old Republic trailer definitely has me excited. Maybe it will be a WoW killer.

Hopefully some previews on Bioshock 2 and Assassin's Creed are released soon.
All we've seen is a theatrical trailer. Not even a gameplay trailer. I'll make my judgements when I see some gameplay and try the beta out.

Many things have said to be a wow killer, but hardly anything has lived up to it. LEt's hope this does.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

06-02-2009, 12:05 PM

I was just gonna post a thread about this but you beat me to it, haha.

Well, there are some interesting things going on.

Firstly, with the Xbox, I knew they wouldn't be able to stop the Halo franchise! I kinda saw that coming.

Metal Gear on the Xbox 360 will clearly piss of PS3 fans as that is their main counter arguement for the exclusives discussion, so oh dear. I think that attitude is being bitter though, and real fans of Metal Gear should be pleased that it's expanding to a wider audience.

About the whole EyeToyNintendoWii rip-off, it's too early to tell what the hell that's going to pan out like. It might be crap, it might be amazing, who knows. I just feel like Xbox needs to get some more originality though instead of ripping off other peoples ideas and mixing it up - similar to what people were saying with 'avatars' being strikingly similar to 'Miis.'

Also, since 'you are the controller,' you certainly won't be able to slouch around on your couch playing games - and that was one of peoples main beef about the Wii. That you always had to be waggling stuff around, but at least with the controller they could have games which means you dont have to do that. Hopefully to combat that, they'll make it so if you simply cba, you can hook up a 360 controller and play.

Oh yeah, and with voice recognition, you just KNOW how annoying that s*** is. It finds it hard to differentiate between languages, accents, if there is background noise, if you talk fast, slow etc. I can see that being a bit of a farce.

We've only seen trailers and a bit of gameplay, so it's still early to make judgements. Looks pretty exciting though, I just love the whole gaming innovations, regardless of the console.

Last edited by MissMisa : 06-02-2009 at 12:09 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
06-02-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Firstly, with the Xbox, I knew they wouldn't be able to stop the Halo franchise! I kinda saw that coming.
They never announced it would stop. They only announced the trilogy ends with Halo 3. Halo 3 OSDT is an expansion on its own, part of the trilogy.

Quote:
About the whole EyeToyNintendoWii rip-off, it's too early to tell what the hell that's going to pan out like. It might be crap, it might be amazing, who knows. I just feel like Xbox needs to get some more originality though instead of ripping off other peoples ideas and mixing it up - similar to what people were saying with 'avatars' being strikingly similar to 'Miis.'
How exactly is that a ripoff? EyeToy is 2D and it only uses 1 camera, while Project Natal recognizes 3D movements, facial recogntition, voice recognition. The only similarity they have is the camera. Would you call the first X-Box a ripoff from PS2 because it played same games and had a DVD. No, so why this?

A ripoff is an inferior product. And Nintendo Wii? What's the similarity with it?

Quote:
Oh yeah, and with voice recognition, you just KNOW how annoying that s*** is. It finds it hard to differentiate between languages, accents, if there is background noise, if you talk fast, slow etc. I can see that being a bit of a farce.
With todays technology, voice recognition is not that accurate but tech develops fast and we might see it somewhat with decent accuracy sometimes in the future.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Ryuk999 (Offline)
PC gamer

06-02-2009, 01:10 PM

the things i found most promising are probably the Left 4 Dead 2 as well as teh Star wars old republic and Crysis 2.
those look sooooo good
but w/ the new xbox thing....i dont see it turning out very well >.>; thats jus me though lol

(link to L4D2 YouTube - Left 4 Dead 2 Trailer! E3 2009)

(#16 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

06-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
They never announced it would stop. They only announced the trilogy ends with Halo 3. Halo 3 OSDT is an expansion on its own, part of the trilogy.
I think if it's a trilogy, it's a triology, TRI, 3 GAMES, anything more than it and it's NOT a trilogy, IMO.

Quote:
How exactly is that a ripoff? EyeToy is 2D and it only uses 1 camera, while Project Natal recognizes 3D movements, facial recogntition, voice recognition. The only similarity they have is the camera. Would you call the first X-Box a ripoff from PS2 because it played same games and had a DVD. No, so why this?

A ripoff is an inferior product. And Nintendo Wii? What's the similarity with it?
In the conference they say, 'this isnt the kind of game where you sit on the sofa using preset waggle commands' -dig at Nintedo wii, insinuating that they have taken that concept and expanded on it. Eye Toy requires no controller, has a camera, and you can do things on screen. Nintendo DS has voice recognition. The only thing that is different is 3D space and face recognition, and face recognition isn't new technology. If I remember correctly Eye Toy had an inferior version which recognised your face so you could put it on a character.

Just because it's not exactly the same doesn't mean it's not cashing in on Nintendo's idea of virtual reality and movement. If you look at the demo can't you see how strikingly similar it is to a Nintendo Wii advert? When the family are driving a car, it's the same as the Nintendo Wii advert without the Wii wheel.

That's not to say I'm not excited about it, it does look fantastic if it works, but my point is it's obviously not totally out-of-the-blue original.

Quote:
With todays technology, voice recognition is not that accurate but tech develops fast and we might see it somewhat with decent accuracy sometimes in the future.
If it can recognise my accent I'll give it some credit.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
06-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I think if it's a trilogy, it's a triology, TRI, 3 GAMES, anything more than it and it's NOT a trilogy, IMO.
There are many games who had 2nd trilogies. Ultima had a 2nd trilogy... consisting of Ultima IV, V and VI. Halo 1st trilogy ended. The expansion is not a sequel so it is still part of the trilogy.

Quote:
In the conference they say, 'this isnt the kind of game where you sit on the sofa using preset waggle commands' -dig at Nintedo wii, insinuating that they have taken that concept and expanded on it. Eye Toy requires no controller, has a camera, and you can do things on screen. Nintendo DS has voice recognition. The only thing that is different is 3D space and face recognition, and face recognition isn't new technology. If I remember correctly Eye Toy had an inferior version which recognised your face so you could put it on a character.

Just because it's not exactly the same doesn't mean it's not cashing in on Nintendo's idea of virtual reality and movement. If you look at the demo can't you see how strikingly similar it is to a Nintendo Wii advert? When the family are driving a car, it's the same as the Nintendo Wii advert without the Wii wheel.
According to your logic PlayStation and XBox are ripoffs of early Nintendo consoles because they play games.

When they mention Nintendo, it doesn't mean they based on it... these kind of gaming wasn't an idea of Nintendo nor Sony. Controller free gaming has been an idea years before they did something but we lacked technology. Just because Nintendo or sony started it first, it means nothing. The only idea of Nintendo is that they used a controller. Microsoft is not using it at all. Does not seem as a ripoff to me at all. It's like saying Blu-Ray is a ripoff of DVD o.O

And about EyeToy, it wasn't a new technology either, they just started using movement sensing for gaming too. So you can't say 'face recognition isn't a new technology and call MS's idea as a ripoff'. Project Nolan uses many cameras. Yes EyeToy had face recognition, which wasn't a new technology either, but it didn't use it like Project Nolan's innovative way.

It is quite original. Seems people these days call a ripoff of something anything that comes before a previous product which had little similarities but was an inferior product. A ripoff is supposed to be inferior, not better.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

06-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
There are many games who had 2nd trilogies. Ultima had a 2nd trilogy... consisting of Ultima IV, V and VI. Halo 1st trilogy ended. The expansion is not a sequel so it is still part of the trilogy.

According to your logic PlayStation and XBox are ripoffs of early Nintendo consoles because they play games.

When they mention Nintendo, it doesn't mean they based on it... these kind of gaming wasn't an idea of Nintendo nor Sony. Controller free gaming has been an idea years before they did something but we lacked technology. Just because Nintendo or sony started it first, it means nothing. The only idea of Nintendo is that they used a controller. Microsoft is not using it at all. Does not seem as a ripoff to me at all. It's like saying Blu-Ray is a ripoff of DVD o.O

And about EyeToy, it wasn't a new technology either, they just started using movement sensing for gaming too. So you can't say 'face recognition isn't a new technology and call MS's idea as a ripoff'. Project Nolan uses many cameras. Yes EyeToy had face recognition, which wasn't a new technology either, but it didn't use it like Project Nolan's innovative way.

It is quite original. Seems people these days call a ripoff of something anything that comes before a previous product which had little similarities but was an inferior product. A ripoff is supposed to be inferior, not better.
A trilogy means 3 THINGS. No extras, no expansions, nothing. You can list as many examples as you want, but if it's not 3, it ain't a trilogy.

Rip-off means copying recent ideas. It has nothing to do with being inferior or better, so that is irrelevent. I think they've copied recent ideas - you don't. Fair enough, that is subjective. 'Avatars' were a rip off of 'Miis' but Avatars aren't inferior.

It's not 'using my logic' because you can't apply that whole opinion to everything in the world, that is why my point is specific to gaming.

Quote:
Now that's just silly. That is not according to MY LOGIC that's according to what you are wrongly assuming my logic is. That's a totally different situation, that's why my point is specific and not a broad generalisation of 'my logic.'

You are saying that by making one point, about one instance, my opinion can be applied to everything all across the board. That's assuming things, and you know what the say about assuming.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Okay, let me end this silly thing.

Project Nolan looks interesting, we are agreed on that.

Project Nolan took ideas for gaming from the Eyetoy. No, don't say it didn't, just because Eyetoy was a failure and because this sort of stuff has been around for ages. In GAMING, yes, gaming, eyetoy was the first one who introduced it. All Project Nolan is doing, is taking the idea, and expanding it.

MS and Sony have been doing that for the last 5-10 years now. Microsoft's Xbox just took the PS2, and upgraded it in multiple ways (Including by adding online play) then Sony created the PS3 to keep up with the Xbox 360. It's been done before, so stop arguing about such a small thing. It's sounding like a fanboy rant.

Halo is not a trilogy. Trilogy = three, and only three. Did Pirate's of the Carribean make another instalment? No. Bungie is just milking the Halo cow now. Not the mention the game is total shit anyways.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#20 (permalink))
Old
everybest (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Project Nolan = Project Natal? Or did I miss something?