JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-28-2009, 07:27 PM

By the way, can you all please stop trolling. I didnt make this thread to argue. Its amazing the mods havent done anything.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#22 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 07:53 PM

'Trolling' and 'disagreeing' are two different things entirely sir.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
'Trolling' and 'disagreeing' are two different things entirely sir.
yes they are, but i didnt make this thread for a debate, so I dont see any disagreeing in here, all I see is trolling: I made thread to show this advs, not for a debate, and all of you come and talk shit.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#24 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
08-28-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato289 View Post
Online features, look back at the online features that the ps3 had then, and look at them now. the online has been improving since launch.
The online service would never had gone downhill. Do you eve know anything about these stuff? I mean, there is no way for the online service to NOT improve compared to the start.

Quote:
yes they are, but i didnt make this thread for a debate, so I dont see any disagreeing in here, all I see is trolling: I made thread to show this advs, not for a debate, and all of you come and talk shit.
Bullshit. XBox 360 is the main competitor of Sony so it's more than related to the topic. you judge how well Sony doing based on what? XBox 360. So just stop your trolling and calling real arguments trolls.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?

Last edited by iPhantom : 08-28-2009 at 08:24 PM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-28-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
The online service would never had gone downhill. Do you eve know anything about these stuff? I mean, there is no way for the online service to NOT improve compared to the start.
thats what im trying to say. people always said that the ps3 online will never improve, but they were wrong.

--Jaka

(#26 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post

Bullshit. XBox 360 is the main competitor of Sony so it's more than related to the topic. you judge how well Sony doing based on what? XBox 360. So just stop your trolling and calling real arguments trolls.
OMG wtf are you talking about. i didnt make this thread to compete againts the 360. I havent seen any 360 ads for the price drop, and if they were, i would had put them here. Shut the fuck if you dont what the fuck your talking aout bitch.

--Jaka

(#27 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
very true about 360. the ps3 has an amasing power, but only skill devs know how to use it. Only a few have done it, and they have produce really amazing looking games like KZ2 and Uncharted. Other devs are learning how to work on the ps3 and others are giving up.
Actually no it doesn't. It has potential with the design of the system, but just that.

PS3 is Not More Powerful than Xbox 360, says Ex-Harmonix Dev - Video Game Features, PC Game Features

First and foremost, Booth doesn't think PS3 really has a graphical advantage. Why? "Fill rate is one of the primary ways to measure graphics performance - in essence, it's a number describing how many pixel operations you can perform. The fill rate on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, meaning that games either have to run at lower resolution or use simpler shader effects to achieve the same performance," he says. "Additionally, the shader processing on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, which means that a normal map takes more fill rate to draw on the PS3 than it does on the 360. And I'm not talking about small differences here, we're talking roughly half the pixel pushing power."

He also suggests that Blu-ray is not really an advantage: "[It's] great for watching movies, but not so great for games. Getting data off the Blu-ray drive takes about twice as long as it does to get the same data off the 360's DVD drive. That translates into longer load times, or god forbid if you're streaming from disk, tighter constraints on the amount of data you can stream."

He adds, "For instance, in Resistance: Fall of Man, every art asset is stored on disk once for every level that uses it. So rather than storing one copy of a texture, you're storing it 12 times. If you took that entire game and removed all the duplicate data, it would likely fit on a DVD without any problem."

Ultimately, Booth says "the performance centric research into the PS3 has been around making it easier for developers to get the same level of performance you get out of the 360 naturally... developers must spend significantly more time and resources getting the PS3 to do what the 360 can already do easily and with a lot less code... On top of this, there is shrinking incentive to do this work; the PS3 isn't selling."

More articles to read
Playstation 3 vs. XBOX 360 - A Game Developer's Perspective - hardCOREware.net
Playstation 3 vs. XBOX 360 – One Year Later

Quote:
Online features, look back at the online features that the ps3 had then, and look at them now. the online has been improving since launch.
Even then, does it equal xbox live?

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

08-29-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
Actually no it doesn't. It has potential with the design of the system, but just that.

PS3 is Not More Powerful than Xbox 360, says Ex-Harmonix Dev - Video Game Features, PC Game Features

First and foremost, Booth doesn't think PS3 really has a graphical advantage. Why? "Fill rate is one of the primary ways to measure graphics performance - in essence, it's a number describing how many pixel operations you can perform. The fill rate on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, meaning that games either have to run at lower resolution or use simpler shader effects to achieve the same performance," he says. "Additionally, the shader processing on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, which means that a normal map takes more fill rate to draw on the PS3 than it does on the 360. And I'm not talking about small differences here, we're talking roughly half the pixel pushing power."

He also suggests that Blu-ray is not really an advantage: "[It's] great for watching movies, but not so great for games. Getting data off the Blu-ray drive takes about twice as long as it does to get the same data off the 360's DVD drive. That translates into longer load times, or god forbid if you're streaming from disk, tighter constraints on the amount of data you can stream."

He adds, "For instance, in Resistance: Fall of Man, every art asset is stored on disk once for every level that uses it. So rather than storing one copy of a texture, you're storing it 12 times. If you took that entire game and removed all the duplicate data, it would likely fit on a DVD without any problem."

Ultimately, Booth says "the performance centric research into the PS3 has been around making it easier for developers to get the same level of performance you get out of the 360 naturally... developers must spend significantly more time and resources getting the PS3 to do what the 360 can already do easily and with a lot less code... On top of this, there is shrinking incentive to do this work; the PS3 isn't selling."

More articles to read
Playstation 3 vs. XBOX 360 - A Game Developer's Perspective - hardCOREware.net
Playstation 3 vs. XBOX 360 – One Year Later
These articles are 2 years old and are irrelevant in the current situation, which is different.

Kotaku reported this week that Sony Computer Entertainment have introduced new developer tools this month across all territories. These new core tools will now cost developers to the tune of US $2,000, €1,700 and JPY 200,000 respectively, going some way to help studios in financial difficultly bring games to the market at a lower cost.

Sony claim:

Having the same form factor as the commercially available PS3, the new Reference Tool models allow advanced game programming and more efficient computer graphics rendering. With its more affordable pricing, this new model will appeal to a broader range of developers and publishers, and will help to provide a more streamlined game development environment, further accelerating the game development for PS3.

Kotaku go on to report that Sony are not stopping there with a new developer kit that focuses on productivity and quality called “SNC PPU toolchain for PLAYSTATION 3″, which we’ll just refer to as SNC forever more, also made available. SNC has already been used in AAA titles like Fallout 3, Killzone 2 and Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza) 3, making developers’ lives a little easier during the development process.

These updated (and lower priced) tools go a long way in making the PS3 more attractive to develop on. Don’t forget that Sony’s updated PhyreEngine is also adding new tools to developers’ belts in terms of graphical modes and techniques such as foliage animation.

PS3 getting easier and cheaper to develop for – Sony

Here's another interesting article to read:
Killzone developer says PS3 dev easier than PS2
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
OMG wtf are you talking about. i didnt make this thread to compete againts the 360. I havent seen any 360 ads for the price drop, and if they were, i would had put them here. Shut the fuck if you dont what the fuck your talking aout bitch.
Dude, calm down. Jeez, it seems like you always get all ruffled up whenever someone disagrees with you.

But, I still stand by my previous statement. You sound like you're desperately trying to justify that $600 purchase.

The price drop has been officially announced, but I would assume, as the new PS3 ads center around the price drop, that it would be acceptable to discuss that as well.

Also, I honestly don't think anyone will take you seriously when you type messages like that...
(#30 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-31-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
These articles are 2 years old and are irrelevant in the current situation, which is different.

Kotaku reported this week that Sony Computer Entertainment have introduced new developer tools this month across all territories. These new core tools will now cost developers to the tune of US $2,000, €1,700 and JPY 200,000 respectively, going some way to help studios in financial difficultly bring games to the market at a lower cost.

Sony claim:

Having the same form factor as the commercially available PS3, the new Reference Tool models allow advanced game programming and more efficient computer graphics rendering. With its more affordable pricing, this new model will appeal to a broader range of developers and publishers, and will help to provide a more streamlined game development environment, further accelerating the game development for PS3.

Kotaku go on to report that Sony are not stopping there with a new developer kit that focuses on productivity and quality called “SNC PPU toolchain for PLAYSTATION 3″, which we’ll just refer to as SNC forever more, also made available. SNC has already been used in AAA titles like Fallout 3, Killzone 2 and Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza) 3, making developers’ lives a little easier during the development process.

These updated (and lower priced) tools go a long way in making the PS3 more attractive to develop on. Don’t forget that Sony’s updated PhyreEngine is also adding new tools to developers’ belts in terms of graphical modes and techniques such as foliage animation.

PS3 getting easier and cheaper to develop for – Sony

Here's another interesting article to read:
You have missed a chunk of the article I posted.

The fill rate on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, meaning that games either have to run at lower resolution or use simpler shader effects to achieve the same performance

Additionally, the shader processing on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, which means that a normal map takes more fill rate to draw on the PS3 than it does on the 360. And I'm not talking about small differences here, we're talking roughly half the pixel pushing power."

These are hardware issues, not developing issues. Unless they change them in the design, they will remain. The 360 has a better video card then the ps3, while the ps3 has better cpu. Sony has unconscious developed a bottleneck into the ps3. Reminder GPU makes the graphics, CPU does not, it can only help.

You have also passed up the point about blue-ray.

Which leads me to another point, how is what he writes irrelevant?

Sony has also has said they don't want "anybody" developing for there consoles thus one the reasons why they "claim" it's hard to develop for (they make such bad statements like this all the time, like the one where they said the ps3 was basically a computer, thus justifying the price it started out at)

Go and read some the responses to that article.

That said, Killzone is a first party title, or rather a triple AAA title. It's going to have the backing unlike most 3rd party titles to use the ps3, being that if you only worked on one console your going to know how to use it.

Note that no where was it said you cannot be good at programing for a console, but generally speaking the average game developer will run into problems. One thing also comes to mind, the more you work with given material the better you get at it. Question is, when you have to spend more time and men to get a hang on developing, do you consider it hard? Example being call of duty 4, where they had to put there best coders on the ps3 port.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.