JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Aniymay (Offline)
The Anime Renagade

Send a message via Yahoo to Aniymay
Thumbs down "New" Dante?!?!?!?! - 01-11-2011, 08:16 PM

ok here's the deal, come to find out DMC has been taken by another company (Ninja Theory) to be remastered, if my story is right, and come to find out they have changed his look completely!!!! My god! he looks horrible!!! I mean yes i understand that they are trying 2 give him more of an edge...it's just i mean did they have 2 completely change him all together!!?? I have nothing against his different attire or anything else like that, its just his whole... idk..just all together i mean i would say his hair is what changes it but that would be stupid. Just making his hair black was what threw me all off. Its like u look at it and peeps think..."wait a minute...thats Dante? wtf no it's not!! " and then it just leads to confusion!
If ur gonna change a charcter's apperance to make them seem tougher or watever....just try 2 keep them looking some what the same so that way we know who it is. :< me no likey the new Dante ....some peeps even say the action in the new DMC isnt the same either soo thats a +
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dante old-new.jpg (36.2 KB, 61 views)

Hiya! Aniymay is:

~Hard to be Soft
Tough to be Tender~

Last edited by Aniymay : 01-11-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: had to add pic
(#2 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
01-12-2011, 03:37 AM

I think remastered is a poor choice of words because they're making a sequel, not a recreated version of one of the original games. It also was not 'taken' by ninjatheory, Capcom intentionally gave it to them and had them move his image in a different direction I imagine for exactly this sort of reaction. If you've heard the phrase 'All publicity is good publicity' it goes along with this line of thinking. Far beyond just acknowledging the game sequel, they've gotten you to come and post your opinion and ask of others their opinion, generating discussion about the game. This is something that I feel a number of video game companies do, such as EA originally having the force opposing the US army in multiplayer being the taliban (I believe) and then changing it back to just 'The Opposition' after sufficient outcry and media coverage. I'm more concerned with how the game plays than how the character looks, so I'll wait for the final product to come out before I make some decisions and either ignore the new look or add it to the list of damning changes that were made.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

01-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Although I prefer Western-made games, this is just another silly case of Japanese developers trying to appeal to a Western audience; especially this generation where the West has been slowly dominating the industry.
While their attempt at revamping by handing the title over to Ninja Theory might be “well-intentioned,” all Capcom will manage to accomplish is the alienation of the original Devil May Cry fan-base. It’s a horrid move on their part and it’s already reflecting throughout gaming boards around the internet. It would have probably been more effective if Capcom announced this partnership with Ninja Theory as the foundation to a new IP, instead of a western-themed approach to the DMC lore that has already been established.

Personally, I don’t care much for the DMC series, but I empathize whole-heartedly with the disappointed fans. I would cringe if, all of a sudden, Sonic was changed into an entirely different character. Even worse, think about Mario not being Mario. The reception would not bode well for those involved.

I wonder why Capcom even decided to partner with Ninja Theory to create a prequel to a game renown for its intricate combat system. If past games from Ninja Theory have shown us anything, it’s that they’re great animators and great character model designers...story tellers even, but they’re not very effective where it counts -- in the game-play department. It seems to me that the DMC title might suffer in more ways than one unless Ninja Theory is working solely on the aesthetic aspects of the game.

Also, a side note for your general knowledge: The new Dante character design is modeled after the lead developer of the Ninja Theory team…How pretentious is that? :P

Capcom need to come to their senses and learn from the recent issues Insomniac [Edit: Sucker Punch, not Insomniac] faced with the recreation of their main character in Infamous.

Last edited by ModusOperandi : 01-12-2011 at 05:30 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Aniymay (Offline)
The Anime Renagade

01-12-2011, 05:11 PM

ok ok, yeah i get it now. Hmm when i first saw the pic of the new Dante i thought it was a total mess up because not many peeps would be able to identify it, and yeha that is just as bad as Sonic turning into some oddly different character just to appeal to the pop-culture not really a swell idea. But on the other side of things, yeah, it is all about the way the game play is and not about the characters, butttttt the character of a game IS the main part of the game because thats how peeps know what they are seeing when they want to buy the game. So basically, Dante is the main symbol of the game, and for them to make him look so different throws others off. When i saw the trailer for the game, and i saw this guy up there saying "the name's Dante" and I was just thinking imagine if i just saw the commercial of this and i didn't know that it was the trailer for the new game?? and how confused others would be.

Hiya! Aniymay is:

~Hard to be Soft
Tough to be Tender~

(#5 (permalink))
Old
diru1 (Offline)
New to JF

01-12-2011, 07:05 PM

Firstly your soooo LATE bringing up this topic, this has been discussed majorly.

I personally like Dante's younger look, they have gone for that rebellious youth look.

Remember its a prequel... not a sequel, this is Dante before you knew him as the adult in DMC 1.

Also to be fair, DMC 4 did get very repetitive and boring after awhile. so they really had to mix it up, because of games like bayonetta, which was a much better game than DMC4 imo.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Aniymay (Offline)
The Anime Renagade

lols, sorry if im ever sooo late when it came to catching on ~-.-~ - 01-13-2011, 06:01 PM

well i mean the new Dante doesn't look that bad after i saw the trailer for it and everything else, it's just that he's gonna take "A LOT" of time to get used to that much Im sure of. Its just that it seems sorta weird to let a guy looking like "that" pass as a Dante :< and yeha if it is a younger version of Dante like they have been saying then yeah it seems like the right view for him like the kind of kid that's always getting in trouble and can't stay off the streets look. Also some peeps think that it was what he has looked like before he got his demonic powers and everything. When he had his long white hair it made him more cool, awesome, and mature looking, his look now looks like rebellious teen, others think that that makes him cool...well not all the much just makes him look like a bratty child that doesn't give a crap about life and screams about how it's so unfair to him.

Hiya! Aniymay is:

~Hard to be Soft
Tough to be Tender~

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Echelom (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Even though I'll probably like the new DMC im dissapointed....where should i start..
The new look...the guy litteraly made himself the main character Dante...i mean they are almost 1on1 the same person! WTF!
Even if its Dante before we even knew about him he should look like Dante in the first game EVEN A LITTLE!
It makes me mad when i think that they could've made the new game about Nero's story ! i mean Nero was awesome in DMC4 and i was not bored in the game at all at any moment hes the perfect character for DMC just like Dante!
We shouldnt be suprised from the changes ..i mean everythings changed even the music..the gameplay trailer for example, different creators different style .
The game looks promising but im still not happy with it.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
07-09-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniymay View Post
ok here's the deal, come to find out DMC has been taken by another company (Ninja Theory) to be remastered, if my story is right, and come to find out they have changed his look completely!!!! My god! he looks horrible!!! I mean yes i understand that they are trying 2 give him more of an edge...it's just i mean did they have 2 completely change him all together!!?? I have nothing against his different attire or anything else like that, its just his whole... idk..just all together i mean i would say his hair is what changes it but that would be stupid. Just making his hair black was what threw me all off. Its like u look at it and peeps think..."wait a minute...thats Dante? wtf no it's not!! " and then it just leads to confusion!
If ur gonna change a charcter's apperance to make them seem tougher or watever....just try 2 keep them looking some what the same so that way we know who it is. :< me no likey the new Dante ....some peeps even say the action in the new DMC isnt the same either soo thats a +
I HATE the new Dante!!!! He looks like a druggie with a bad hair day. I don't play the games, but I can say that the old Dante was certainly better.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Mazikeen (Offline)
His Word In Stone

07-13-2011, 06:52 AM

I don't think the change in look is that bad, guys! Sure, it's totally odd to go that far away from the original material, but let's give it a chance as we did the original game.