JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy the 3DS?
Yes 16 28.57%
No/Maybe 40 71.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRossTso View Post
3D might actually have bad side effects, and your son will be unaffected !
That's actually why I'm reluctant to buy it at the moment. There's a huge warning that any children under a certain age shouldn't play it, instead they should turn the graphics to 2D, because it's dangerous (I forget why exactly, I'm going to say it probably induces fits and things). My idea is that if it's not safe for anyone under 7 then who's to say it's safe for adults? I think I'll wait a while and see what the effects are and if it is safe.

Not only that, but I wanna see how 'great' it is before buying it, for all I know it could suck! I'll wait until my friends and cousins get it and have a look first, no point wasting £220 on something that isn't as cool as it sounds
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Tomba (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Tomba
03-07-2011, 08:39 AM

im going to be honest here,ive never really been a big nintendo fan but dont get me wrong when the first ds came out i got one but its hard cos i cant get away from my xbox 360 sorry bit pointless saying all that ^_^

(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
That's actually why I'm reluctant to buy it at the moment. There's a huge warning that any children under a certain age shouldn't play it, instead they should turn the graphics to 2D, because it's dangerous (I forget why exactly, I'm going to say it probably induces fits and things). My idea is that if it's not safe for anyone under 7 then who's to say it's safe for adults? I think I'll wait a while and see what the effects are and if it is safe.

Not only that, but I wanna see how 'great' it is before buying it, for all I know it could suck! I'll wait until my friends and cousins get it and have a look first, no point wasting £220 on something that isn't as cool as it sounds
We bought one.
Right now, there are virtually no games, no online service (it will start at a later date), it doesn`t utilize the DSi online service, and so on... So what can be done is very limited.

When it comes to the vision effects - there is no real negative side effects to the 3D. A different image is visible to each eye, so the eyes need to focus on a slightly further point than the actual screen itself. (Allowing for the perceived depth.) There is no inherent danger in allowing a small child to use it, really, other than using it improperly - the smaller the child the less the chances they will stop if they are holding it at the wrong angle / too closely / etc. Using it improperly CAN put stress on the eyes, as they will be trying to make sense of the image and focus, so limiting use for small children is really just being cautious.
In 2D mode, the image is singular, so regardless of angle or distance, it looks the same.

I am pleased to say that with the system being used, even in 3D mode, it looks perfectly fine when viewed with one eye. As the images viewed by each eye are static (not alternating like those which require shutter glasses to view), when seen with one eye it just looks 2D. (Unless you hold it at a very specific skewed angle to see both images simultaneously - not something easy to do accidentally.)

It`s much less stressful for the eyes than the type of screen that uses glasses, to say the least. Still though, you`re focusing on a point beyond what you are actually viewing, so I imagine it could be tiring if you`re focusing TOO hard... Something a small child might not notice (or likely ignore) until they really were tired.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SCIFFIX (Offline)
Hokuto Shinken master.

Send a message via MSN to SCIFFIX
03-07-2011, 02:27 PM

Nyororin, thanks for post that information, I think it's very useful for many who are planning to buy a 3DS like me. By the way, you said that there aren't negative efects in use 3D, but did you feel some signs of eye strain after use 3D mode? If you felt, how much time you used 3Ds?

Video Games: Serious Business

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-08-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCIFFIX View Post
Nyororin, thanks for post that information, I think it's very useful for many who are planning to buy a 3DS like me. By the way, you said that there aren't negative efects in use 3D, but did you feel some signs of eye strain after use 3D mode? If you felt, how much time you used 3Ds?
The longest I`ve used the 3D in one sitting has been around 45 minutes to an hour. I didn`t particularly feel any eye strain, and I`m in one of the groups that they advise will likely feel more strain than others - my vision differs between eyes. I`m nearsighted in one eye, but not in the other, so I tend to use one eye more than the other.

My husband, on the other hand, feels some sense of "unease" as he puts it when the 3D is on it`s highest setting. He always sets it at about 50% and is comfortable with it there.

My only complaint would be that there is some kind of stress with very fast moving objects on the screen. I don`t think that is so much because of the 3D itself, but because of the interlace effect used to split the screen between eyes.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
guitarwolf (Offline)
New to JF

yepp! - 03-08-2011, 03:29 PM

I´m getting one first thing march 25th!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The longest I`ve used the 3D in one sitting has been around 45 minutes to an hour. I didn`t particularly feel any eye strain, and I`m in one of the groups that they advise will likely feel more strain than others - my vision differs between eyes. I`m nearsighted in one eye, but not in the other, so I tend to use one eye more than the other.

My husband, on the other hand, feels some sense of "unease" as he puts it when the 3D is on it`s highest setting. He always sets it at about 50% and is comfortable with it there.

My only complaint would be that there is some kind of stress with very fast moving objects on the screen. I don`t think that is so much because of the 3D itself, but because of the interlace effect used to split the screen between eyes.
Thanks for the information, Nyororin. It's useful to know. I'm still a little sceptical on safety, but mainly because most people I know tend to play for a long time, i.e. several hours. I know that can give eye strain at the best of times, but when in 3D? It's good to know that it's safe for a casual gamer though, but I still worry for those who use it more heavily.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Already pre-ordered mine. If only because my old DS broke and now I can't play Pokemon Black.. *sob*

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#19 (permalink))
Old
hinata2 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to hinata2 Send a message via Yahoo to hinata2
03-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Yes I already ordered mine
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Thanks for the information, Nyororin. It's useful to know. I'm still a little sceptical on safety, but mainly because most people I know tend to play for a long time, i.e. several hours. I know that can give eye strain at the best of times, but when in 3D? It's good to know that it's safe for a casual gamer though, but I still worry for those who use it more heavily.
If your eyes become strained, you`ll *know* it. It isn`t something that will creep up on you after you turn it off. If your eyes are stressed, chances are seeing the 3D at all will be a pain. It sort of has a limiter built in - if your eyes are tired it will be a pain to focus on the 3D, so you will need to turn it off or stop playing.

At this point, it really is only a gimmick. You don`t NEED the 3D to play anything as it has to stay playable with the 3D off. As it really is more gimmick than anything else, I doubt that most people will keep it on all the time anyway.