JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

combat system - final fantasy XII - 04-17-2011, 02:01 AM

is better than simple turn based battles, and programming the gambits offers a new layer to the experience.

-OR-

with the gambits programmed, the game just plays itself.

what do you think?

(#2 (permalink))
Old
harunashiro (Offline)
New to JF

06-28-2011, 03:46 PM

I liked how Square Enix tried something different with the battle system for Final Fantasy but I really felt like that the gameplay was more suited for an MMO. It was just too frustrating (at least to me) to have to sit there, press a button, and wait for an orange gauge to fill up for them to attack (and them only hitting once; maybe occassionally getting 5+ hits in as well). I felt like it would've been much easier to just attack without having to relay on something like that ;;

The Gambit system, I thought was alright. I wouldn't want to put all characters on that setting since AIs, to me, aren't always very reliable on the choices/actions they choose to execute but being able to adjust their actions with that kind of system does help to set up them up so that way they can be a little reliable.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-28-2011, 07:06 PM

I liked the concept, but I thought the execution was pretty lame. I literally just sat there and mashed X after I formed my strategy, only to ensure that my lead member would be active. I guess this was trying to be a correction with FF12, where once you knew how to set up your gambits properly, you could just leave the room and come back later and the fight would be over in your favor.

I'd personally like to see it go back to FF10 style. I know this is kind of old school now, but you can't really screw it up.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#4 (permalink))
Old
harunashiro (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2011, 05:38 PM

I loved Final Fantasy X battle system! It helped a lot knowing whose turn was next or whose monsters turn you delayed by using "Delay Buster", etc.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-29-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harunashiro View Post
I loved Final Fantasy X battle system! It helped a lot knowing whose turn was next or whose monsters turn you delayed by using "Delay Buster", etc.
Yeah, I think it's the best. It took way more strategy picking out which moves to perform before your turn was up. Nothing worse than not having enough turns before a boss got his! And the gambit system was just a bastardization of the sphere grid.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography