JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chnlzero (Offline)
New to JF

New Slim Sony PSP - 10-17-2007, 01:40 PM

question: I'm thinking of purchasing the new psp here in japan but not sure on the technical spec...? ie region free, firmware issues from . though i would probably pick up some Japanese games or movies for sentimental value my primary concerns is will i be able to play NA games and movies on it?

any suggestions or advice would be great...thx
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tsuzuki (Offline)
冷血の私生児

Send a message via ICQ to Tsuzuki Send a message via MSN to Tsuzuki Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuzuki Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuzuki
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Oo I think you can... but I'm not sure ^^,

ギャー(*0*((◎—————ー(°°; ) スッポヌケ〜
✿ あなた だけ が みれば いい... 狂気と真実は紙一重 ✿

そして坊やは眠りについて 息衝く灰の中の炎ひとつ、ふたつと 浮かぶふくらみ愛しい横顔 大地に垂るる幾千の夢、夢 銀の瞳のゆら(◕‿‿◕ )
It's a thin line between genius and stupidity. Once you cross it there is no going back!! Luckily I have tippex and a pen so I can just redraw it where I like!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA =_=

†♫†
(#3 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
10-17-2007, 02:22 PM

I'd say yes, given the media is a "UNIVERSAL media disc" (UMD)

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sanchome (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Did you check the power supply / charger? For the DS Lite, I think they share a power supply for Japan / America, but use a different power supply for the higher voltage countries.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
10-17-2007, 05:09 PM

On a japanese PSP, you can play every game (they are not region specific), but you will be able to play **only** japanese UMD Videos, not american. Firmware isn't a problem, you can easily install every firmware you need since they are region free (speaking of which, try installing a homebrew firmware, which works better than the normal one). As for the power charger, both DS and PSP are supplied with a 110V only charger. So, either buy a transformer to make it usable with the north american voltage standard (it will cost you around 2500yen), or buy a USB charger (i got one for only 300yen!).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chnlzero (Offline)
New to JF

10-18-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclamen View Post
On a japanese PSP, you can play every game (they are not region specific), but you will be able to play **only** japanese UMD Videos, not american. Firmware isn't a problem, you can easily install every firmware you need since they are region free (speaking of which, try installing a homebrew firmware, which works better than the normal one). As for the power charger, both DS and PSP are supplied with a 110V only charger. So, either buy a transformer to make it usable with the north american voltage standard (it will cost you around 2500yen), or buy a USB charger (i got one for only 300yen!).
Thx... i'll check that out. i've been doing my homework on the firmware so for sure i want to take adv of the psp's features...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-18-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclamen View Post
On a japanese PSP, you can play every game (they are not region specific)
Really? I asked the shop assistant at BooksOff if I could play foriegn games on the Japanese PSP and he answered "no"
(#8 (permalink))
Old
GodOfSpeed (Offline)
New to JF

10-20-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
Really? I asked the shop assistant at BooksOff if I could play foriegn games on the Japanese PSP and he answered "no"
Lol, he has no clue about the psp then. The PSP games are the same as the PS3, it's all region free. So no worries there.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
chnlzero (Offline)
New to JF

11-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOfSpeed View Post
Lol, he has no clue about the psp then. The PSP games are the same as the PS3, it's all region free. So no worries there.
dumb as it sounds, so can the vice versa be said for the (NA) version of the handheld and the ps3 being region free less the UMB movies not being useable?

chnlzero
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Shiningmonkey (Offline)
Inventor of the s'moredog

11-08-2007, 09:17 PM

I'm pretty sure you can because my NA DS plays Japanese games and I think I saw on a site that the PSP could too.