Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

04-18-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskyliemole View Post
I see.

What's "HECK" ?
In this case, it's an emotional expression used to add the third option of using both words "and" and "them" as well as either word by itself.

Quote:
I see...
Thanks

oh, how about なわとび!

jump rope, skipping rope... can I call it hopping rope or hop rope?

and what's the right way to say...

"Let's play rope-jumping!" ? or
"Let's do rope-jumping!" ?
"Let's jump rope!" ?
"Jump rope" works best as it's a widely understood phrase. It's also less awkward to say compared to the other two examples.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#272 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Heh. There's always the old joke:

"Huked onn fonix wurked fer mee."

It's meant to show that completely relying on one method of learning isn't a wise idea. However, taking some knowledge from it and other ways of learning (like practical experience) can be effective.
Interesting!
Is it like...
Hoocked on phonics worked for me ? yeah?

What do you think the best way for the Japanese kids to learn how to read English?

My students can only come once or twice a week(50mins-100mins) here to study with me. I have students in 3 types.

1) Ones I've been teaching over 2-3 years. They started learning English when they were 3-4 years old (and now they are 5-6 years old)
They can say many words and sentenses like...
No way! It's my turn! Can I see it? Can I have one? Can I have one more cookie? Let's play hide-and-seek! and all that kinds they need/want to say... I didn't teach them spelling much, but only simple phonics sometimes...

But I asked their parents to start reading books at home (Some of them bought the picture books with CDs: Oxford Reading Tree), and also I asked the bigger kids to read along too... then for everyone 's surprise, many of the kids find it fun and not too difficult to read English!
I think it's because many of the words they hear from the CDs are familier to them.
These kids want to read books for me... to surprise me.
They really enjoy to see me surprise and say
"wow... I'm surprised! How old are you really? ten? eleven?"
"No, Im 5! hahaha"
(we do this conversation hundreds of times, but they never get bored)
so I'm not really worrid about the kids type(1).

Anyway, well I have students type (2)...
Most of them started studying English when they were 3-4 years, but their former teachers were "flash cards!memorize!repeat after me!no talk back!listen to me and say what I say!" type of teachers. The kids hated to go to their English school, then the parents found me.

These kids were with me for around 2 years now, they also enjoy reading books at home.... but I can see that they don't understand the meanings as well as the kids type (1) do.

Type(3)
They are new... and 10-12 years old.
They are pretty busy with other things like... tennis club, learning piano/violin...abacus school...cram school for math/Japanese/science/social study... and then they come to my school on Friday... 19:20-20:10!
They must be tired by the time they get here...
But their parents are expecting a lot ....they want their children to be able to "speak" in English within a year.

It's funny (actually not funny at all)... There are many many English teachers working as an English teacher at junior high school.... their English skills are worse than me, and also there are many don't-talk-back-just-repeat-after-me teachers make the kids hate studying English...

and there are parents who wants their kids to be fluent in English within a year, by only 50mins x 48 times lessons.

Sorry this story was just my... (mmm...what I should say....)
dictionary said:

chewing the rag
flog the cat ? ?

What's the word for this?
It's not really a complain... but sometimes you just want to say it/tell someone to release things in your head

hope you manage to understand what I'm trying to say!

kylie Mole Rules I miss her !!!!

(#273 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifectionx View Post
the problem is, people are too polite to tell you wen ur wrong. i got the same problem. not my teacher though. . .
yeah, too polite, and for some people it's also めんどうくさい(bother or lazy?).
Like my Japanese girl mates who married to an Australian, a Canadian and Americans... their English aren't very good, they said their husbands never correct them. (And.... their husbands speak like a girl... when they talk to me in Japanese. you know why right?)

(#274 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

any artist,actor,musician here? I need your help! - 05-31-2011, 06:09 AM

Some Japanese musicians are making a "music dictionary" or something (I don't know the details), one of them asked me how you guys call こけらおとし in English.
こけらおとし means the (formal) opening of a new theater 
こけらおとし【柿落とし】 を英語で表現すると - Yahoo!辞書

actually they are looking for a word or 2 to explain こけらおとし.
They want to know if there is any special "word" (slang? Jargon?)used by artist/singers/musicians/actors.

If not then can we say like...
the first perfomance of the new theater,
the first show at the new theater,
the first play of the new theater
the first concert of the new hall.
..... like that???

(#275 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

05-31-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskyliemole View Post
Some Japanese musicians are making a "music dictionary" or something (I don't know the details), one of them asked me how you guys call こけらおとし in English.
こけらおとし means the (formal) opening of a new theater 
こけらおとし【柿落とし】 を英語で表現すると - Yahoo!辞書

actually they are looking for a word or 2 to explain こけらおとし.
They want to know if there is any special "word" (slang? Jargon?)used by artist/singers/musicians/actors.
I'm not involved in the performing arts, so I don't know of any special jargon for a formal theater opening. However, you could say "the inauguration of a theater" to refer to its formal opening, since "inauguration" is a general term used for formal openings or beginnings.

Quote:
If not then can we say like...
the first perfomance of the new theater,
the first show at the new theater,
the first play of the new theater
the first concert of the new hall.
..... like that???
You could, though I would use "at" or "in" instead of "of". (To me, using "of" makes it sound too much like the theater is itself an active entity, rather than just a location where performances take place.) However, those expressions mean simply what they say, the first performance at that location. A formal opening ceremony, which seems to be what the word you're talking about means, is different from a performance.
(#276 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
05-31-2011, 07:44 AM

I don't know if I translate it well in English, but in my language is something as Theater Opening Gala, this is the formal form.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#277 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
I'm not involved in the performing arts, so I don't know of any special jargon for a formal theater opening. However, you could say "the inauguration of a theater" to refer to its formal opening, since "inauguration" is a general term used for formal openings or beginnings.
Thank you colinHowell!!

I'm going to copy your message and email them.

"inauguration" mmm...how do you pronounce it??

Quote:
You could, though I would use "at" or "in" instead of "of". (To me, using "of" makes it sound too much like the theater is itself an active entity, rather than just a location where performances take place.) However, those expressions mean simply what they say, the first performance at that location.
I see. I thought so too. "of" was used in the online Japanese-English dictionary... but I didn't know how to use "of" in this situation, so a bit confusing...
Quote:
A formal opening ceremony, which seems to be what the word you're talking about means, is different from a performance.
right. I actually don't know the meaning of the Japanese word こけらおとし very well, cos I don't really go to the theater... almost at all.

The music people I met, they are rooooooolly musicky people (musicky makes any sense? maybe not... I just made it up), I mean they are the professionals, and we had a chat at a Arabic Coffee shop the other night... they were talking about many kind of guiter things... and it's sounds and all that..... they were talking in Japanese, but I didnt understand most of it!
I was talking about how I teach kids... some of the kids really love and enjoy making up songs with me. usually very silly songs, but one of the music person told me that what I do (making silly songs with the kids) could be a big thing.He said that I should record it!

Anyway, thank you very much! I thought no one would be interested in my question.

Thank you again, and have a lovely day!!

(#278 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
I don't know if I translate it well in English, but in my language is something as Theater Opening Gala, this is the formal form.
"gala" mmm intereting word!
I will tell them your information too!

Thank you very much!

Have a good day

(#279 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2011, 03:50 PM

sorry, double posting by mistake

(#280 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Anime fan people! can you tell me the names of these? - 05-31-2011, 04:07 PM

Hello again,

I've got these stamps the other day, but I have no idea what they are!

We are going to have a charity market next week, and I will be there selling stuff... so I need to know what we are selling !!!

Can anyone tell me the names of these characters and the title of the anime please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KC3B0034.jpg (17.7 KB, 49 views)