Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

ありがとね! - 06-27-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:

1. Japanese Lesson (??)
2. Personal Computer
3. Family restaurant (?)
4. Underground Department stores (or whatever the good translation in English would be...)
5. McDonald's!

PM if you want to Skype sometime^_^
Hajimemashite, filiadragongurlsan!
Thank you for helping me. I am also interested in slang!

I don't have a Skype, but I will get it when I have more time to sit down in front of my PC!

Here is the answer for you

1)ジャパニーズレストラン→ジャパ・レス
2)Correct!
3)Correct!
4)Yes!
5)Yes!

kylie Mole Rules I miss her !!!!

(#22 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

aligatoh! - 06-27-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiBunny23 View Post
It is between the two 'really's

and not really...i don't have the characters put on my computer so I can't read them and I don't really know much Japanese so...not really I guess haha.
I found that " , "! Thank you.

How about when I want to say

"really" three times?

I should write like, "really, really, really want to..." ?

It may sound like a silly question to ask but I am serious!

I talk to little kids often, and the kids love to use those expressions

like "really,really huuuuuge (huge)", "really,really biiiiiiiig(big)"

Thank you for teaching me, and please let me help you when you
have a question about Japanese

(#23 (permalink))
Old
zoneoni (Offline)
Luna Corp // CEO

06-27-2008, 05:58 PM

There is a definitive way to use it's and it has.

it's is a possessive adjective, it implies that the implicit subject or an aforementioned subject in a previous sentence has properties that are being described in the coming predicate pertaining to the possessive meaning

Example 1 :
As the clock rang 12:50,
Marlene told me it was time to go.
But it's telling me otherwise.

So because the clock rang 12, Marlene was telling me it was time to go. But it's, referring to the clock was giving him a different impression. It relies on the assumption that the time to go was not 12:50 and the clock was what was being inferred to by the it's.

Example 2:
It's time to go.

It's referring to a relative time, in this case the present.

Usually using It's and it has is considered informal and sometimes you can't really replace them.

It has is usually a definitive connotation and has no use for implicitly.

Example 1:
It has colored fangs.

Definitive statement and not really all that implicit except for the sentence that it is directing itself from.

Example 2: Why is it, that it has wings?

The first it is the deriving form while the second one is the definitive form.
The first it is assuming that a previous sentence has already defined the reference.

Last edited by zoneoni : 06-27-2008 at 06:23 PM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

こんにちは~ - 06-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:

"similer" should be "similar"

Also...

...should be: "We do similar things with nouns in Japanese."
I see. なるほどね!

あああ、わたしはいつも "-er" "-ar" をまちがえます。

なにかよいおぼえかたはありますか?

Quote:
"I will give you A quiz!" "Some" would make it plural. Although there are several questions, it's still only one quiz. If there WAS more than one, though, it would be: "I will give you some quizzes!"

そっか~。
わかりました!

Quote:
1) Japanese Wrestling?
2) PC/Personal Computer
3) Family restaurant?
4) The lowest level store of a department store?
5) McDonalds
ははは、1ばんのこたえをよんで わらっちゃいました !
1) ジャパニーズレストラン ですよ。
2)yes!
3)yes!
4)yes, the lowest and it's on the underground
5)yes, that's right! easy?

Quote:
"bery" = "very"...but it was probably just a typo. Those keys are pretty close together.
はい、タイプミスでした。

Quote:
Still, the sentence would sound better like this: "Now the difference between 'could' and 'would' is very clear."

勉強になりましたか? 

なりましたよ~
ありがとね

(#25 (permalink))
Old
zoneoni (Offline)
Luna Corp // CEO

06-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Usually when your speaking to children, your given more room with your English since they are for the most part silly by nature. They love little onomatopoeias like "VROOM" or "BANG!" and use it during their everyday play-styles. For formal writing using "really, really, really" is considered informal writing even when writing letters to parents would strike an odd eyebrow. If these were letter's to children it would pass as excusable but if the use of the letter was to teach then that too might not be a good idea.

Usually if you wanted to focus something or emphasize a feeling like let's take love for example. There are generally two ways to show greater emotion then using an extension like really or more, etc; would the use of smilies or metaphors. These are basic ways of showing stronger expression, they can become more complex and intricate.

Simile:
For example:
If you were speaking to a child and wanting to show an expression of love in Simile form, it would be something like this.

Jerry, your such a good kid. I love you as much as your mother does.

This sentence is describing your love for Jerry just as much as his mother does. It's a strong sentence and says a lot. For this explicit case though, putting the idea in which the cause lies in is important. "Jerry, your such a good kid is just such a reference. It implies that because he is a good kid (well-behaved and good manners), you have a level of affection for him. If this sentence was not there then it takes on a slightly different meaning, you would be implying that you may or may not abduct to take him home, hehe, something along those lines.

Similes for the most part have the following structure when in use.

Part A as Part B
The as can be replaced with either like or as.

Example 2:
The only time I have felt this way is like the time when I drew breath for the very first time.

This sentence is a little bit more advance since it is referring to a past experience of someone's life, depending on that experience this could be a good compliment to said person's well-being or a sign of frustration/anger/remorse etc.

Metaphors are much more complex and their is no type of word that would help you identify one unless you read the sentence. By reading a sentence fully you would be able to see if it was a metaphor or not.

Metaphor is usually when a subject takes on the properties of a 2nd subject. The 2nd subject usually being some sort of level in extremity.

Example 1:
Terry flew at full speed into the clouds his feathers wrapping around him, as his friends watched in astonishment.

This metaphor is about Terry as he is being compared to some sort of flying animal, most likely a bird since feathers play a role in describing the state in which he is in. However you can see that this sentence has an as but is not a simile. This is because this as is a time reference the comma in front of the as let's the reader know that he should treat the first part of the sentence before the comma as a separate sentence from the rest of the sentence after the comma. There are many many different types of metaphors which are all different and use different properties, similes would be the easiest way to show greater emotion and inference.

Last edited by zoneoni : 06-27-2008 at 06:41 PM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

またまた ありがとうございます - 06-27-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
教えてありがとうございます!オストラリアの英語を話 せるからすごい!
ニュージランドの英語がオーストラリアの英語と同じで すが少し違います。それに、たくさんニュージランド人 は少しマオリ語を話せる。例えばKia Ora (hello), Ka kite (goodbye) Ke te pehea koe? (How are you?) Ke te pai (Fine thank you)。ニュージランドの歌も英語とマオリ語を使うから 供の時、マオリ語を少し習わなくてはいけません。も ろん、マオリ人はたいてい話せます。

(Thank you very much for teaching me! Cool that you can speak Australian English! NZ english is similar but a little bit different. Also many NZers can speak a little Maori. For example.... Because the NZ national anthem is also in English and Maori, when you're a child you have to learn a bit of Maori. Of course Maori people can usually speak Maori.)
教えてくれて ありがとう。 casual
or
教えてくださってありがとうございます。polite

In Japanese we write like this:
オーストラリア

同じ=the same

にている=similar

ニュージーランドの英語はオーストラリアの英語ににて いますが、少しちがいます。

Quote:
ネルソンに行ったことがありませんけどきれいな町だそ うです。ネルソンに行ったら、あなたの友達の店に食べ に行きます。日本料理が大好きです!私のクラスとよく 行きます。
( Although I've never been to Nelson I hear it's a beautiful town. If I go to Nelson I will definitely go to eat at your friend's restaurant. I love Japanese food. I often go with my class)
はい、ぜひいってください!

「すしハウス」というなまえです。

とても おいしいですよ!

Do you cook Japanese food sometimes?

Quote:
日本にどっちら場所に住んでいますか。いつか日本に勉 強しと旅行しと働きに行きたいです。日本の中で北海道 と京都と沖縄が一番面白そうな所だと思いますが日本に 行く時どこでもいい。
(Which area do you live in Japan? Someday I want to go to Japan to work, travel and study. Hokkaido, Kyoto and Okinawa look like the most interesting places but anywhere in Japan would be fine)
そうですね。私も 北海道と京都は素敵な所だと思いま した。

でも沖縄はまだ行った事がありません。

わたしが住んでいるのは 長野 です。 98年の冬に  オリンピックがありました。

冬にはたくさんの「スノーボーダー」がオーストラリア から長野にきます。

I visited Hokkaido and Kyoto and I liked them, but I haven't been to Okinawa yet.

I live in Nagano. The Winter Olympics took place there.

We have many snowboarders from Australia visiting our area in Winter.

Please do visit Japan!

If you are under 30 years old, you can get a "working holiday visa" to stay in Japan, and with that visa, you can ligaly work too!

If you are over 30, you can have a student visa to go to college or Japanese language school, and with a student visa, you can also work!

When I was in Australia, I had a student visa so I was allowed to work part-time too. I really enjoy studying English (and also tourism),working (at a take away/restaurant, a duty free shop and so on) and also travelling!

Quote:
さて (Is that the right one?) 直します 
(Anyway, I will correct your mistakes)
Yes! you got it right!

Quote:
(Using maybe is fine but perhaps feels more natural to me.)
I sometimes confused when I am supposed to use perhaps or maybe...

I am not sure the differences between...

maybe, perhaps, probably... and all those words!

なかなか むずかしいです。

Quote:
As for the using "it's". I'm not sure if it's a NZ thing to be honest. I never use it for "it has" but I can't speak for the rest of NZ as I've never really noticed it. I will investigate for you haha
Interesting! please investigate for me !

Quote:
Wow.... that's the only mistake I've noticed.

You're really fluent!
いぇ~い!

Quote:
By the way... you don't have to be strict on me yet because I'm sure I've made a lot of mistakes. But please correct the big mistakes.

Thanks again!

わかりました!
どんどん 日本語 れんしゅうしてくださいね!

(#27 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Zoneoniさん ありがとう - 06-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Thank you for teaching me too.

Please give me some time to read & understand your lectures.
I tried, but I found many words I haven't learned before.
I need a good dictionary.

It's 3:35am, here in Japan.
so I have to go to bed !

またね

(#28 (permalink))
Old
zoneoni (Offline)
Luna Corp // CEO

06-27-2008, 07:04 PM

No problem if you want I can help you more tommrowz.

(#29 (permalink))
Old
loveskyliemole (Offline)
JF Old Timer

May I ask you another question? - 06-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Can anyone help me again?

when I am late for something...

I would say

I am sorry for being late.

Is it Ok to say...

I am sorry being late.
I am sorry I'm late.
I am sorry to be late.

What is the difference between

Sorry for that.and

Sorry about that.

?

Isn't it right to say

Thank you for that.

but can I say

Thank you about that too?

Plase leave your question about Japanese
and let me help you guys too!
Otherwise I would feel bad!

(#30 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskyliemole View Post
Can anyone help me again?
*jumps through registration hoops* Whew...

I'll give it a try.

Quote:
when I am late for something...

I would say

I am sorry for being late.
Very polite and to the point. Correct.

Quote:
Is it Ok to say...

I am sorry being late.
Needs the word "for" in there to create the phrase or explanation for why you are sorry.

Quote:
I am sorry I'm late.
In this case, you can do without beginning the sentence with "I am". "Sorry I'm late." gets the point across quicker while still being polite.

Quote:
I am sorry to be late.
Extremely formal and somewhat awkward. Using infinitives ("to be") can cause some confusion in how quickly your message is heard and understood.

Quote:
What is the difference between

Sorry for that.and

Sorry about that.

?
Hm. Comparing the sentence, it appears to me they can both work depending on how recently the action happened. The first sentence could be used to apologize for an action that was in the past for which you wish to express regret.

The second sentence could work as an apology for a more recent action (for example, accidentally bumping into someone in a supermarket) for which you wish to express regret.

Quote:
Isn't it right to say

Thank you for that.
Yes, it is correct.

Quote:
but can I say

Thank you about that too?
I would have to say that statement is incorrect. While there is an object for the word "about", it does not work in this situation.

Quote:
Plase leave your question about Japanese
and let me help you guys too!
Otherwise I would feel bad!
Right now, I do not have any questions about expressing English words in Japanese. However, I will say that this thread of yours has moved me from the ranks of longtime "forum lurker" (that is, a person who reads posts but does not register or contribute). I am thankful for that.

Arigatou!