JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Jordbob2 (Offline)
New to JF

Red face American looking for a Face-to-Face Japanese/English exch partner - 12-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Hello Hello,
My name is Jordan. I am a self teaching Japanese student. I've been studying Japanese for about the last 2 years (90% of that in the last 4 months however). I've recently arrived in Tokyo and am living in Fussa. I'm very much in love with Japan already and have taken it upon myself to set out into Tokyo and explore and (occasionally) practice what I have learned.
I try to get some help with Japanese here and there, from people i meet in passing or at the train stations. It's very helpful, but I really desire a much more regular contact with which I can meet several times a week. Perhaps over Ocha ^^.
I've tried and am still trying other language exchange networks that have turned up fruitless in the last week.
If you are a Japanese native with a good background in English, I would love to be able to speak in person sometime. I understand this might be awkward for someone as much as it is for me, so I'd like to start with e-mails and work up to face to face.

Some prerequisites that a you must have to be this person.
- Native Japanese person between 20-24
- Live in Tokyo (or within 1 hour of Fussa via Train)
- Speak English on a somewhat advanced level (preferably in college studying English)
- Be willing to teach about Japanese culture to a very interested student (me ^^)

Some facts about me:
- 21 year old White American Male.
- Will be living in Tokyo for 3 years.
- can read Hiragana and Katakana but Kanji illiterate.
- I'm single
- Study Japanese everyday ( .. well.. most days.)
- I've been watching anime for about 10 years. (DBZ, Berserk, Claymore, Akira . no kiddy stuff [dbz when younger ])
- Have always loved Japanese culture since i was a little boy watching "The Geisha Boy" with Jerry Lewis.

one other note: Most Americans in my area are only interested in picking up Japanese girlfriends at a bar around Fussa. though this method is available to me, I find it much more interesting to enjoy someones sober company and to learn about them on a personal and sincere level. How much can you learn in a bar...

If there is any other information you would want from me please feel free to contact me @ Jordbob2@hotmail.com and we can go from there.