LinkBack Thread Tools
(#101 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-02-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvodaya View Post
Broadly speaking, yes, but take note of the examples I gave and remember the phrase "When you are talking about the general case, say 'when', but while she was speaking about a particular case, she said 'while'."
Yes. I will study what you wrote carefully.

Quote:
I don't think the word "accuse" is what you intended here. Perhaps "discriminate against"?
I didn’t know the word. Thank you!
Yes, that’s “racial discrimination”.

Quote:
When you can't say "no", it is often because you are "too polite".

When my mother was a little girl her father would offer her the last biscuit. She would say "no" out of politeness, despite the fact that she wanted it. He would then say "Are you sure? Go ahead." Then she would eat it. One day, to teach her a lesson, he offered her the last biscuit again. When she said "no" he gobbled it up. She expressed her surprise and he explained that you can be too polite, so of course she learned the lesson!
Sorry, I don’t see what her father’s idea.
Did he mean being too polite did not pay?
In Japan, being too polite is very good, and most people like too polite people.

Quote:
We can also say people are "too polite". People are always telling me I'm too polite. Usually politeness is considered a virtue, but by saying "too polite" you can indicate that it is too much of a good thing, which can be a foible.
他人行儀(たにんぎょうぎ)?

Quote:
A friend of mine in school was also very polite and considerate. He used to say "Nice guys always come last." To which I would reply "Yes, that's true, but it's worth it!"
You mean being polite is good?

Quote:
Ah, this is similar to the way of some Hindus.
覚さん、Saying ”Our Gods are only approximately eight million real Gods.” is ,I think, “hyperbolic ironic seriousness”, isn’t it?
Wasn’t that hilarious?

Quote:
I watched the スタジオジブリ version of "Tales from Earthsea". I have not read the originals, although I intend to. I noticed a comment made by Ursula K. Le Guin on her website:

I too had noticed that a lot of anime characters seem to be what I would call "white" or "Caucasian" if I had to put a label on it, which seems curious to me given that, to put it plainly, that doesn't seem to reflect the natural range of skin tones indigenous to Japan.
I have read the first three books of Ged.

A lot of anime characters? Which ones?
I think most of them are yellow and same as Japanese.
The author of Naruto has told that he had made Naruto to be white with gold hair, because he wanted the films popular in the U.S. He had thought American children would like a hero with blue eyes and gold hair.
I think some anime films have white characters to attract western viewers. However, most anime characters are yellow, and the color was seemed to be white to Le Guin.

These characters are all Japanese.

Quote:
Equally I know nothing of this issue or whether this even is an issue in Japan, but given what you say I see there must be no such prejudice. The trouble in the West is that these prejudices have such historical resonance and are so visible that they can cause tensions. Having said that, the majority of developed nations have now overcome such prejudices for the most part.
You have overcome the issues? Really!?
From the Japanese viewpoint, many western people always say the skin colors. Many people PM me, and write that they don’t mind my skin color. If they don’t mind it, I believe they can forget it.

Quote:
However, at least you have something to show for your deficit. We have bailed out banks that were collapsing due to their own irresponsible and greedy conduct. To add insult to injury, those same banks now refuse to lend that money back to us and yet continue to pay themselves ridiculous bonuses. This is very demoralising.
Thank you, now I know that Japan is not only one foolish and pitiful country.

Quote:
Bear in mind also that Japan has a solid export market to rely upon. In the list of sovereign states by current account balance, Japan is 2nd while the U.K. is 175th! I think this is related to Japan's magnificently strong skill-base.
I didn’t know the order. I had thought the economy of the UK was much better.

Quote:
You see, the war took a lot out of our country. To put it bluntly, in economic terms we paid for the war and the U.S. profited from it. To make things worse the economy was subsequently mismanaged and all the while the U.S. showed no mercy. The Thatcher administration made some huge gains and put the economy back on its feet, but in the long-term we are left with a swathe of poorly privatised industries and an economy over-reliant on financial services. The recovery during Thatcher's administration was less a result of her particular brand of Reaganomics and more to do with simple competency.
What’s “simple competency”?

Quote:
A major problem of Blair's government was figure-fiddling, both amongst large businesses and within the government itself. Now you have some insight into our current economic state.
I thought that the UK is a country of gentlemen and there is not any figure-fiddling there.

Quote:
ゆりさん! You read my mind!
Everyone knows!!

Quote:
Well, at least if I go on holiday there now I know to try the Japanese rice!
They called the rice “sushi rice”, and that tasted delicious Japanese rice.
Actually, the rice was Canadian, but I believe that the rice was a Japanese strain.

I’ve been to Canada twice.
Of course, I’ve been to the UK twice, too!

Quote:
Quote:
"Do you know what the time is?"
"Do you know what time it is?"
"I want to know what morally correct behaviour is."
These are perhaps a bit more colloquial, and still give the impression of an incomplete thought, but here it is deliberate — we want the listener to complete the thought for us.
Quote:
You mean these three above give the impression of an incomplete?
What are the complete sentences?
They are not incomplete sentences. They are grammatically correct. They represent incomplete thoughts. What they do is give the impression of an incomplete thought. This is because the copula, as the name implies, is used to link things. Most commonly it links a subject and a predicate, as follows:

"Grass is green."

"I'll be alright."

"You seem happy"
However, in these cases...

...the verb "to be" appears in an apparent copular role, but the second part of the link is missing. Thus time and behaviour are not linked to anything. This is because the speaker expects the listener to give the missing partner in his/her answer. Do you see how the unpaired part of the copular expression creates the expectation of more information to complete the pair?

Thus the completed thoughts are:

"The time is six o'clock."

"Morally correct behaviour is most easily characterised by mindfulness of the consequences of one's actions."
To be honest, I can’t say I understand completely right now.
I will read what you have written many times. Thank you.

Quote:
<Englishman> <Kaku>, <Japan(to)> <to move house> <he came>
Kaku the Englishman came to move house to Japan.
Kaku the Englishman has moved to Japan.

Quote:
<next door(of)> <house(in)> <lives> <Sashimister(to)> <to say hello> <he went to>
He went to say hello to Sashimister who lives in the house next door.
The Japanese sentence has 家, but you don’t need to say “in the house”. When you speak English, I think you would say “…Sashimister who lives next door”, wouldn’t you? (Would you say “in the house next door”? I’m not very sure.)
In the same way, when you translate English into Japanese, “Sashimister who lives next door” is not “次のドアに住むサシミスター”! This is crazy! (I think you already know it, but just in case…)

When we say “隣の家に住む刺氏さん”, “家” isn’t important. We also say “隣に住む刺氏さん”. Both are same in meaning.

Quote:
"<How do you do?> <next door(in)> <to move house> <I came> <Kaku> <I am>. <pleased to meet you>"
"How do you do? I'm Kaku; I've just moved in next door. I'm pleased to meet you.
Yes!!

Quote:
"<pleased to meet you> <Sashimister> <I am> <assistance> <if> <call> <please> <it is I who should say so> <nice to meet you>"
"Pleased to meet you. I'm Sashimister. If you need assistance please call. It's nice meeting you too."
Actually, I meant that 助(すけ)was Sashimister’s first name.

Quote:
How is my translation? I have tried to put the literal meanings (with postpositions in brackets) on the first line, and then a more natural rendition in English below that. Is it correct?
Yes, almost. The name seemed to be confusing.

Quote:
My head hurts...
but I think I understand...
Don’t rush.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#102 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-02-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I don't understand this bit:
覚はイギリス人だった人で
What is だった?

Is the point that you need to use auxiliary verbs or something?
だった is the past tense of だ.
覚はイギリス人です/覚はイギリス人だ= Kaku is English.
覚はイギリス人でした/覚はイギリス人だった= kaku was English.

The point is sequence of tenses.

English sentence goes like this.
1. Kaku who was English moved to Japan. (Right?)
→Kaku was English. Kaku moved to Japan.

I think you would not say ;
2. Kaku who is English moved to Japan.
→Kaku is English. Kaku moved to Japan.

2 is the way the Japanese language goes.

If you write Japanese with English sequence of tenses, the sentence will be;
イギリス人だった覚は、日本に引っ越してきました。
This means that kaku isn’t English any more.
(We think you can’t quit being an English man even if you live in Japan, so this sounds crazy.)

There is something you should know!!!
When the Japanese people say “Japanese people”, we don’t mean nationality, but race, appearance, language and culture the person has.

One of my friends has married an American man, and went to the US.
Her nationality is the US now, but we think she is still Japanese.
On the other hand, if you came to Japan, married a Japanese woman, and lived here over 30 years, still you are English here.

Let's continue my story where we left off.

覚は、紙袋(かみぶくろ)を刺氏に渡しました。
覚:「これはイギリスの紅茶(こうちゃ)です。よろし かったら、どうぞ」

To be continued!

You need to bring something when you visit next door for the first time.
You are English, so I think English tea would be natural.
I bought English tea at Harrods in London. My mother said that was the best tea she had ever drunk.

“紙袋を渡しました”doesn’t mean an empty paper bag. There must be something in the bag.

Quote:
Oh, I'm confused.
I thought that あとからきたのに おいこされ meant "a person who came from behind overtakes you"
I also thought that was governed by なら on the line below, so I translated it as:
"If it is unpleasant to be surpassed by your successors,"
あとからきたのに おいこされ
I would say “you fall behind”.

Quote:
But you're saying 誰かが先に行く means "someone would overtake you".
I thought that くじけりゃ だれかが さきにゆく as a whole somehow translated to "When you have lost something dear and feel like giving up,"

Where did I go wrong?
くじけりゃ= 挫折したら=when/while you suffer a setback
だれかが さきにゆく= someone would/will overtake you".

Quote:
だれかが means someone. Is that correct?
Yes.

Quote:
さきに means before. Is that correct?
Yes, but that also means ”in first “ “in front “ and “on ahead”.
さきに(先に);“先に”の検索結果(525 件):英辞郎 on the Web:スペースアルク

Quote:
ゆく means to go. Is that correct?
Yes.

Quote:
Oh, I think I see now. さきに is more like ahead. So だれかがさきにゆく means someone goes ahead [of you]. Is that correct?
Yes!

Quote:
Ah, of course, you were worried about "while" and now I see why...
I meant that someone would go ahead of you, while you suffer a setback. Not at the moment you fail, and you can’t say when exactly.

Ok, so it's something like "When you've lost something dear and feel broken, others may pass you by."
or "When you've lost something dear and feel broken, others may take advantage."
Is that correct?[/quote]
I don’t know what "When you've lost something dear” means.
挫ける means like “being discouraged”. Does it mean something like that?

Quote:
Quote:
人生 楽ありゃ 苦もあるさ (じんせい らくありゃ  くもあるさ)
涙のあとには 虹も出る  (なみだのあとには にじ もでる)
歩いてゆくんだ しっかりと  (あるいてゆくんだ  しっかりと)
自分の道を ふみしめて  (じぶんのみちを ふみし めて)

人生 勇気が必要だ  (じんせい ゆうきがひつよう だ)
くじけりゃ 誰かが先に行く (くじけりゃ だれかが さきにゆく)
あとから来たのに 追い越され  (あとからきたのに  おいこされ)
泣くのが嫌なら さあ歩け  (なくのがいやなら さ ああるけ)

人生 涙と笑顔あり (じんせい なみだとえがおあり)
そんなに悪くは ないもんだ (そんなにわるくは な いもんんだ)
なんにもしないで 生きるより (なんにもしないで  いきるより)
何かを求めて 生きようよ (なにかをもとめて いき ようよ)
So then, it should be:

In life there is comfort; there is hardship too.
After tears a rainbow appears.
Carry on steadily,
Keeping your foot firmly upon your chosen path.

In life courage is essential,
When you've lost something dear and feel broken, others may take advantage.
If it is unpleasant to be surpassed by those around you,
If it is unpleasant to weep, come now and walk!

In life there are both tears and smiles.
Life is not so bad.
Rather than wandering aimlessly through life achieving nothing,
Let's set a direction in life, and go forth!

How is that?
A little too formal, but excellent in whole.

Quote:
Quote:
1. Can I say “while” instead of “during which” ?
No. You cannot. It would not make sense. "While" can be substituted for "during the time that".

Does all that make sense?
I think I’ve got it.

“This was a terrible time of starvation and poverty in Irish history, during which around a million people died and a similar number left the country in order to survive” means;

“This was a terrible time of starvation and poverty in Irish history. Around a million people died and a similar number left the country in order to survive during the time.”

And when you use “while”:
This was a terrible time of starvation and poverty in Irish history. While the famine was ongoing around a million people died and a similar number left the country in order to survive.

Is that right?

Quote:
Quote:
2. Does “one variety of” mean “various”?
Why isn’t that “one variety of crops”?
"One variety of" doesn't mean "various". JamboP26 is correct.
"Various" simply means "different". Thus "various crops" means "different varieties of crops", whereas "one variety of crop" means "one particular variety out of a number of various possible varieties".
I see.
My dictionary says that “a variety of” means different, and didn’t have “one variety of”, so I thought “a variety of” means the same as “one variety of”. You know, “a” can mean “one”! However, you say it’s different. OK!
To be honest, I knew that if “one variety of” was the same as “a variety of” in meaning, your comment would be broken. Yes, I thought it might be different, but still I don’t see whey “one” doesn’t mean “a”.

Quote:
Quote:
3. “A single variety of crops” means one strain?
Why isn’t it in singular form?
Yes, this means one particular strain or variety or cultivar etc.
I no longer needed to use the singular to clarify the meaning as by this point the meaning was well established. I could have said "a single variety of crop", but I naturally chose the plural because I was thinking in general terms. That is, the sentence begins by talking about the Potato Famine, but then moves on to the general case: "when one has the choice", so it just feels more natural to use the plural. However, there is no major difference in meaning, it is more of a stylistic issue, especially given that we have already eliminated any ambiguity with the earlier occurence of "one variety of crop".
“A single variety of crops” means “one particular strain”, while “a variety of crops” means “different crops”???? WHY!!!
OK. I might be crazy.
You were thinking in general terms. OK. No problem!
Now I know that to learn foreign language, you shouldn’t be too theoretical.

I understand that your explanation is professional and very kind. Thank you.

Quote:
I hope that's clear, but don't hesitate to ask again if it isn't because I had to think for a moment!
May I ask one more question about English?
Why “quite a few” means “many”?

Quote:
I have written my response on your blog. I hope you enjoy reading it!
Thank you.
Give me time to answer.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#103 (permalink))
Old
clcheapshoes520 (Offline)
New to JF

09-02-2010, 05:41 AM

learning English is a good choice!
(#104 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-03-2010, 06:00 AM

@覚さんへ。

I’d like to make sure one thing.
Is this sentence correct?

“During a terrible time of starvation and poverty in Irish history, around million people died and a similar number let the country in order to survive.”

I know that that is different in meaning from your original sentence, but I just want to know if my sentence above is grammatically correct. I’m studying “when”, “during” and “while”.

Thank you.

I YamaP
(#105 (permalink))
Old
alirz23 (Offline)
New to JF

japanese learner - 09-03-2010, 06:46 AM

hi,

Im seeking someone to teach me japanese please....
(#106 (permalink))
Old
sarvodaya (Offline)
JF Regular

09-03-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
@覚さんへ。
ゆりさん、お早うございます。

Quote:
I’d like to make sure of one thing.
Is this sentence correct?

“During a terrible time of starvation and poverty in Irish history, around million people died and a similar number left the country in order to survive.”

I know that that is different in meaning from your original sentence, but I just want to know if my sentence above is grammatically correct. I’m studying “when”, “during” and “while”.
I'm still writing my response to your previous post. Meanwhile, I noticed your question.

Yes, it is correct. Well done.

By the way, "a variety" can mean "an assortment" as well as "a cultivar". That was the source of some confusion previously. I shall write about it properly in my response.

Quote:
Thank you.
どういたしまして。

ニックネームは「覚醒(sarvodaya)」からとって「覚(か く)」です。

Kaku is the nickname given to me by ゆりさん, derived from the word sarvodaya (सर्वोदय). This, in turn, is a word that was used by Mohandas Gandhi in his 1908 translation of John Ruskin's "Unto This Last" (1860s).

Last edited by sarvodaya : 09-03-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: cunning
(#107 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
ゆりさん、お早うございます。

I'm still writing my response to your previous post. Meanwhile, I noticed your question.

Yes, it is correct. Well done.

By the way, "a variety" can mean "an assortment" as well as "a cultivar". That was the source of some confusion previously. I shall write about it properly in my response.

どういたしまして。
Thank you for your quick response.
本当に助かります。ありがとうございます。

I YamaP
(#108 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2010, 02:36 PM

覚さん ただいま~

Quote:
どういたしまして。
Hrm. Ah, for a moment I thought they meant OED, my mistake!
I couldn't follow this link. It took me to a list of stories.
すみません。
こちらです。
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000590-san-int

Quote:
You mean that it's not nice to be exporting such negative words? Indeed, it is curious. I have never found the need for words like that though, nor have I heard them used. I don't think they are very common. There are only a few Japanese words I can think of that I depend on. For instance, we have no word for 旨味, or the way of tasting amino acids, and so I sometimes have to use that word when explaining this flavour. Obviously there are more common words like 津波, カラオケ, 空手, 道場, 神風, 侘寂, 侍, 忍者, 鮨, 着物, 浪人, 酒, 漫画, 指圧, 手裏剣, 鉄人, 梅干 and so on... I can't think of any more!
So, anyway, the point is that it's not just negative words that come from Japan! There are plenty of nice and interesting words too.
I see...

Well, the guy on the TV probablly meant slightly different... This is just my guess what he meant and this is what I think...exporting and importing any kind of words from other countries is OK and nothing's wrong with it,
but it was kind of sad to realize that we were having a big problem and that problem hikikomori is big enough to be noticed by the world like that.
(mmm I don't think this explanation isn't exactly what I really wanted to say... )
ひきこもり という いまのにほんのしゃかいもんだい が hikikomori というあたらしいたんごとして えいごのじしょに の ることが このましくない ということではなく、ひき こもりが それほどおおきなもんだいになってしまって いるいまの日本のげんじつが かなしく ざんねんにお もう ということです。 
but at the same time, I think it's important to know what's going on in the other countries and think and study about it to learn,solve,help and all.

I (maybe the guy on TV too) wish Japan can export more positive and happy words to the world to make more people smile.
Quote:
Not really, but the concept is becoming more popular. There is a Hebrew phrase ‫בל תשחית‬, which refers to a similar ethical principal. Bal Tashkhit literally means "do not destroy", and it has been extended over time to all types of needless waste and destruction.
right...interesting!
Quote:
Well, as I say, I hadn't really come across the word itself, but it is an important concept.
Quote:
Ah, well then, "lethargic" is definitely the right word. You are suffering from summer lethargy.
It's so muggy here...I'm still suffering from summer lethargy even it's supporsed to be autumn in Japan! How's it in England?
Quote:
ありがとうございました。
私はこのことをしりませんでした。
どういたしまして。

では 覚さん 宿題(しゅくだい)です

・わかります
・わかりますか(?)

・わかりません
・わかりませんか(?)

・わかりました
・わかりましたか(?)

・わかりませんでした
・わかりませんでしたか?(?)

・しります
・しりますか(?) not used very often)

・しりません
・しりませんか?

・しりました
・しりましたか(?)

・しりませんでした
・しりませんでしたか(?)

それぞれの 例文(れいぶん)を つくってみてくださ い。

Quote:
Sorry, that was ambiguous. For a period during the spring, and then again during the autumn, the BBC make one episode of "Have I Got News for You" every week. The number of episodes varies a little from year to year, but in general there are around a total of 17 episodes each year. I don't know why they don't make the show for the other 35 weeks of the year. I wish they did!
そうなんですね。それは しゅつえんしている コメデ ィアンの方々(かたがた)が いそがしいから?かな・ ・・
I started watching British comedy more often and it's making me really want to go and travel there again!
Quote:
Why don't we go back to Paul Merton as you like him and I think his show will be easier to understand.
Let's work on this when you get back:
I clicked it but couldn't watch that. oh no!
It said for the licence and permission kind of reason, we can't watch it in Japan.
Quote:
I hope you enjoy your trip. You must tell me all about it when you get back!
Oh I had a wonderful time there.
All the local people I met were all nice and friendly.
I think I was very lucky!
I enjoyed chatting with them and also loved the atmosphere and the food!
My camera isn't a very good one and anyway had no much time taking pics cos I was busy talking... but here are some pics for you (down below)

including Nebuta Festival art work and Hirosaki castle
Aomori
Hirosaki

I went to 函館(はこだて)to see my relatives,
especially my cousin who are about to marry a guy who is the manager of this company↓
函館金森赤レンガ倉庫
We all hit it off and talked about the tourism and what we can do to welcome more tourists from overseas. I had a lot to say about it since I love travelling and he said he appreciated my unique (and a bit strange) idea and was going to bring it to the next meeting!

Quote:
I see. Yes this looks much better. It has the sense of rolling down, which I think is important.
This song was written by Bob Dylan and Rick Danko.
No-one knows exactly what it means. I think that "this wheel" is the singer referring to him/herself. They are "on fire" with chaotic ardour for something ill-defined and dimly perceived. They are "rolling down the road", unable to control or stop themselves. A wheel cannot stop itself, it needs a brake. "Notify my next of kin" is what you do when someone has died. It is considered bad etiquette to publicise a death before notifying the next of kin. The next of kin is usually a nominated nearest family member. "this wheel shall explode" indicates that the singer is firmly on course to meet his/her untimely end in a blaze of either glory or destruction.
I found this website that discusses the song:
Peter Viney: This Wheel's on Fire
He quotes Andy Gill who writes:So you can see how the words relate to the lifestyle of the main character in the programme.
情報(じょうほう)をたくさんありがとうざいました。
わかりました・・・ちょっと時間(じかん)をください 。
日本語訳をかんがえてみます☆
Quote:
Ok:
いきしちにひみりゐ
i-ki-shi-chi-ni-hi-mi-ri-wi
いぎじぢにびみりゐ
i-gi-?-dji-ni-bi-mi-ri-wi
いきしちにぴみりゐ
i-ki-shi-chi-ni-pi-mi-ri-wi
Q1 Can you tell me something (anything!) about「じ」and「ぢ」?
Q2  And about「ゐ」?

Quote:
Athletic meet
Yes, and often it means Sports/Field day at school.
Quote:
Birthday party
Birthday party
誕生会 birthday party, but 誕生会 the "day" isn't really necessary.
Quote:
Neighbourhood council
Get-together
yep

こんどの どようびは ともだちのこどもの 誕生日会 (たんじょうびかい)なので いってきます☆

では また

↓you can fine me and my best friend in here too

Last edited by yumyumtimtam : 03-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.