JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
znromonk (Offline)
New to JF

Need help to begin learning Japanese - 07-28-2010, 09:54 AM

Message deleted since for personal reasons.

Last edited by znromonk : 11-13-2012 at 01:06 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Seele (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znromonk View Post
I know that there are three kanas (hiragana, katakana, and kanji [it is not a kana is it ?]) but cannot figure out what is more commonly used, and what are each used for.
Hiragana for endings, particles, function words.
Katakana for words, taken from other languages (mostly from English)
Kanji for all other. Basically nouns, verbs/adjectives (except endings) are written with kanji.

for ex:

the word "engineer"

There's japanese word for it 技師 reads like "gishi"

For beginners in books it will be written in hiragana, because it takes less time to start reading it then learning kanji.
So, in hiragana it'll look like ぎし

But there's an english word, which is also widely used. It'll be エンジニア reads like "enjinia"

more example:

My name is Olga.
Watashi no namae wa Oruga desu.
私の名前はオルガです。

In this sentence "私 watashi" (I) and "名前 namae" (name) are written in kanji.
"オルガ Oruga" (Olga) is written in katakana, because it's a foreign name.
All other words are used for connecting, they're particals & functional words. They're in hiragana.

Beginners start from learning Hiragana & Katakana, books for them are written in these 2 alphabets.
Learning Kanji takes a lot of time, so for you to be able to understand at least smth before you know Kanji, you need to learn H&K.

Quote:
I might learn better if I can ask questions when I see something I did not understand
Really the best way! =D But for that you need to have someone you can ask.)) May be you can find here Language Exchange Community - Practice Foreign Languages

Quote:
Since this is an exchange ads section, I don't know what I can offer in return. My English writing is quite decent and I was told by my professor that my writing has a lot of comma splices (:P). If I can help with anything within my power I will.
There're lots of Japanese, who're eager to learn English. If you were in US (but you're not native, right?), still you speak it very good & may be have an american pronounciation. That can be a great thing for an exchange.

Quote:
(I also would like to know why it is romanized 'masu' and not 'mas', which is what I hear.
That's a reduction, when you speak. But in written Japanese after each consonant comes a vowel, it's a syllable alphabet. The only exception is letter N ん 

Hope, it helped =.=" I'm not good at teaching Japanese, cuz I'm also a beginner))

Goog Luck at your studies! ^__~

KAT-TUN is LOVE
(#3 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

08-04-2010, 12:21 AM

I would learn hiragana and katakana first . Also vocabulary words. With out vocab words you wont know what people are saying so its one of the most important things. Hiragana, katakana, and kanji look really different from each other so its easy to tell them apart.

Example:

Watashi
( I)
わたし ( hiragana)

私 ( kanji)

ワタシ (katakana)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-04-2010, 01:52 AM

If you are thinking about buying Rosetta Stone, buy it from their official website. You will be able to have a full refund within a six month period if you do not like it. It's illegal to resell the product.