JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
07-08-2007, 12:26 PM

Hey, I'm an American who likes to go in British dialect at times!

XD I'm a high school student, but I've been learning Japanese for a few years. Maybe we can pair up as buds?

my email is junshin_yoshimi@msn.com

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
nightfallnightmares (Offline)
JF Regular

07-08-2007, 02:00 PM

i'd be very glad to teach you english!!!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-08-2007, 08:16 PM

Hi everyone,

thank you all for these warm messages; I have just sent mail or PM to everyone. If you didn't get any message whose title is "from Laurel: JapanForum", please let me know. I will send it again

Talk to you soon,

laurel

"yf I ded ony foly I have that I sought."

-- Thomas Malory, Le Morte D'Arthur
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
07-08-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel View Post
Oh, you hate literature? Most of them just suck, I can't deny that. Still, there are so many entertaining works -- I like Spanish literature such as La Vida de Lazarillo de Tormes y de sus fortunas y adversidades because it is so hilarious! Full of F-words and black jokes, that's really cool
No, no, no! I love literature! When I'm not studying I read most of the time, my friends always freak out when they see the huge amount of books I have in my room.

I read that book you mentioned last year, along with El Quijote, Tirant lo Blanc (Tirante el Blanco) and some others.

My favorite English authors is Charles Dickens. ^^ I know it may sound typical but I just love all of his books.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#15 (permalink))
Old
lovetokyo (Offline)
New to JF

07-09-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'm a Japanese postgrad student who is studying Medieval English Literature in UK. Now I am finishing my MA dissertation and going back to Japan at the end of July; but actually, I already miss Britain. That's why I'm looking for some language partners who can communicate in English.

I'm a 27-year-old female, and a big fan of Arthurian legend -- that's my subject for these 9 years! I also like cooking, travelling abroad, watching British commedy shows and playing video games (my recent favourite is "Dragon Quest VIII").

If you are interested, please e-mail me. I do not use MSN but I have an account of G-mail.

Cheers!
Hi nice to meet you, i m sattled in east tokyo, i like to meet u when u r in tokyo please feel free contact me at info@globalring.jp

Victor
(#16 (permalink))
Old
lovetokyo (Offline)
New to JF

07-09-2007, 04:36 AM

Hi nice to meet you, i m sattled in east tokyo, i like to meet u when u r in tokyo please feel free contact me at info@globalring.jp

Victor
(#17 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-09-2007, 11:35 PM

Hi, guys

thank you for your comments and PM
I'm pretty busy this week, but I'll reply you ASAP
Please wait for a while~

Take care,
laurel

(#18 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-12-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
No, no, no! I love literature! When I'm not studying I read most of the time, my friends always freak out when they see the huge amount of books I have in my room.

I read that book you mentioned last year, along with El Quijote, Tirant lo Blanc (Tirante el Blanco) and some others.

My favorite English authors is Charles Dickens. ^^ I know it may sound typical but I just love all of his books.

Oh, you also love literature! Cool!!
I, too, have a huge pile of books on my two desks -- when I was in Japan, my parents were fearful that the floor should be broken someday

The tale of the man of La Mancha is well-known in Japan, but we call him "Don Quixote"; when you visit Japan, you may find his shops as well -- one of the most famous discount store uses this name!

It's strange that while you call the novel "El Quijote", we use the title of "Don" to him. "Don" is respectful expression for the nobles, isn't it? I'm just wondering why then El Cid is just "El" Cid -- will you tell me the difference?

I don't know Spanish literature so much but Garcia Lorca's Bodas de Sangre is really nice! I like the beginning of the 3rd Act, woodcutters' talk about the blood and men's destiny.

As for Dickens, I just read The Great Expectation in Japanese translation and know the plot of Christmas Carol; if you have some recommendation about Dickens's novels, please tell me

Though I've been Barcelona just one day, I travelled to Spain three times. I like Prado, Tissen, Reina Sofia Museum, tortija, cafe con leche, sangria, jamon, sumo de naranha (well... I don't know the spelling ... the two most frequent phrases I said in Spain are "Abras Ingres?" and "Non entienda Espanol"!)
To me, the two most curious Spanish words are beef (baka) and garlic (aho) -- I guess you see?

Last edited by laurel : 07-12-2007 at 01:38 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-12-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetokyo View Post

Victor
Hi Victor,

Thank you for your offer; I'll e-mail you in a few days, so please wait a moment
I used to work in Tokyo, and my hometown is also east of Tokyo -- though it takes 1 hour. I may give you some piece of information

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
07-12-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, you also love literature! Cool!!
I, too, have a huge pile of books on my two desks -- when I was in Japan, my parents were fearful that the floor should be broken someday

The tale of the man of La Mancha is well-known in Japan, but we call him "Don Quixote"; when you visit Japan, you may find his shops as well -- one of the most famous discount store uses this name!

It's strange that while you call the novel "El Quijote", we use the title of "Don" to him. "Don" is respectful expression for the nobles, isn't it? I'm just wondering why then El Cid is just "El" Cid -- will you tell me the difference?

I don't know Spanish literature so much but Garcia Lorca's Bodas de Sangre is really nice! I like the beginning of the 3rd Act, woodcutters' talk about the blood and men's destiny.

As for Dickens, I just read The Great Expectation in Japanese translation and know the plot of Christmas Carol; if you have some recommendation about Dickens's novels, please tell me

Though I've been Barcelona just one day, I travelled to Spain three times. I like Prado, Tissen, Reina Sofia Museum, tortija, cafe con leche, sangria, jamon, sumo de naranha (well... I don't know the spelling ... the two most frequent phrases I said in Spain are "Abras Ingres?" and "Non entienda Espanol"!)
To me, the two most curious Spanish words are beef (baka) and garlic (aho) -- I guess you see?
Wow I see you're well informed!

You're right, the original name is Don Quijote de la Mancha. Don is some kind of royal title but it is rarely used nowadays, it indeed was a respectful way to refer to important men.

I was surprised to hear there's a store in Japan called like this! ^_^

As for El Cid... He was just a knight, not royalty, and Don Quijote despite being poor had inherited this title and was known all around the country (I mean the character).

I love Federico García Lorca!! Did you know he was killed for being gay? Well, and for being communist and republican also. There's a famous Spanish singer who sings his poems, I got the CD.

Great Expectations is actually my favorite book. Have you seen the movie? I would recommand David Copperfield and Oliver Twist, most famous ones but they're good.

I've never been to most of those museus you mentioned cause I've only been to Madrid once and didn't have time to see it all. Don't you drink sangria there in Japan? And orange juice? O.O xDDDDD

Oh and you spelt those sentences wrong. It's okay, spelling isn't that important =P

[Do you speak English? --> ¿Hablas inglés?]
[I don't speak Spanish --> No hablo/entiendo el español]

Easy.

I don't think the word beef exists in Spanish. xDDDD Baka would be translated as idiota/imbécil. And garlic's the English word for ajo (Spanish).

It's cool to see you have so much interest in other cultures, I'm like this too!!

everything is relative and contradictory ~