JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Pjok (Offline)
is a 17 yr old now xD¨

Send a message via MSN to Pjok Send a message via Yahoo to Pjok
01-26-2008, 03:40 PM

I would love to teach you a little spanish, I have it in school. and since i was little. If you would lean me japanese ? Exchange, ;b hehe. Pm me i you what.. :b

JF Family
SØPPEL
Proud member of the Vampire Clan
Claimed by me:
Ban (Lolita23q)
My adorable family knows who they are, <33

Koaku. Koaku. I'm never gonna admit such a big fat and ugly lie and you can't make me do it no matter what you say or what you write in your sig. Sry but i'm kinda really stubborn... ^^v
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupypeas View Post
I have to disagree with Suki. English English is more original (sure if you can't handle that OH-SO-DIFFICULT "ph" sounding like "f" so you have to change "sulphur" to "sulfur") but English is a wonderful language, as is Japanese! So in response to Suki- XP ENGLAND RULES!!!!! That ignorant comment makes me want to slap you back. (I'm sorry but it does... )
What ignorant comment? lol What does ignorance have to do with preferences? I didn't say that American was "better" than British cause no language can be described as better or worse than another. I just wanted to know why the person who made this thread wanted it to be British, and how does American come from a bad speaking habit? It's an accent, not a habit.

everything is relative and contradictory ~

Last edited by Suki : 01-26-2008 at 05:40 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

01-26-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
What ignorant comment? lol What does ignorance have to do with preferences? I didn't say that American was "better" than British cause no language can be described as better or worse than another. I just wanted to know why the person who made this thread wanted it to be British, and how does American come from a bad speaking habit? It's an accent, not a habit.
You can also get different accents in english too. But the 'wotah' thing suki? well, not everyone has that accent.

@threadstarter: what type of british english? North. west, south, east, londoner, cornish, geordie, scouse, scottish, welsh, irish, norfolk?

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kurezi (Offline)
I like cookies.

01-27-2008, 09:16 AM

You can't even tell the difference between British English and American English on the internet, save a few spelling differences. (i.e. color vs. colour, theater vs. theatre)

Unless ofcourse, you use slang. And, I am assuming, the person who posted this isn't entirely keen on learning improper English in the first place.

As an American, I couldn't help but feel a little offended when someone said British English is "cooler".
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Navi (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Why does it have to be British English?
Correct me if I'm wrong, America and some of it's surrounding countries are the only ones to use American English. Whilst British English, or rather English is used in more places in the world.

And personally, the American English ticks me off. I'm annoyed by Americanzed spelling being used in my school. Which is an Australian school. -____-

Some examples are; British/American respectively.
Colour - Color
Organisation - Organization

I don't think the thread starter intended to start an argument nor did the thread starter intend to offend anyone.

Anyway, as for the topic at hand. I'd love to teach English. If you're looking for someone to help you with written or more specifically grammar usage, I'd love to help.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

Send a message via AIM to Retrogamer77
01-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, America and some of it's surrounding countries are the only ones to use American English. Whilst British English, or rather English is used in more places in the world.

And personally, the American English ticks me off. I'm annoyed by Americanzed spelling being used in my school. Which is an Australian school. -____-

Some examples are; British/American respectively.
Colour - Color
Organisation - Organization
Honestly, I don't see why people give a damn about how the words are spelled. They sound pretty much the same, they mean the same thing...what exactly is the problem? I like my American English. Yes, British English is what's taught elsewhere in The word and that's fine. British English just sounds more...right sometimes. Not that I would use it in normal conversation because, obviously, I've grown up with American English. Either way, slang is slang in any country and when you get down to it, it's the same damn language. Seriously, get the hell over it everyone.

That being said, because I am AMERICAN, I'm sorry that I can't help you much with English. Although proper English seems to have the same rules wherever you are. Oh well, you can ask me at anytime if you want.

~Genauso wie du~
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
You can also get different accents in english too. But the 'wotah' thing suki? well, not everyone has that accent.
Most British people I've met do, and it's not a bad thing but... well, I just find it slightly annoying cause it sounds as though they're putting such an effort into sounding it out that way >.<'

Quote:

And personally, the American English ticks me off. I'm annoyed by Americanzed spelling being used in my school. Which is an Australian school.
I am referring to pronunciation; why would anyone have a problem with the spelling of a word? Does it really matter if it's spelt with an s or a z? o.Ô I know the thread creator didn't mean to start a fight over this, I was just curious as to why it had to be British, that's all.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#18 (permalink))
Old
kurezi (Offline)
I like cookies.

01-28-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Um. If you are truly fluent in English you can understand both American English and British English. It's not THAT different, except for slang.

And why would you be ticked off? No one said that you have to use our way of spelling. If anything, be pissed of at your school. Not my language.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Navi (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2008, 04:09 AM

I'm ticked off because of I'm somewhat of a patriot. Kurezi, reading properly can get you very far. I said I'm annoyed by American spelling being used in my school. I'm sure you'd feel the same way if your culture was brutally raped and spat on.

This only annoys me when using written English, most teachers in my school seem to like to use American English and I lost a lot of marks in my essay due to the fact that I use an s instead of z.

I'm well aware that British and American English are pretty much the same when spoken if you ignore the accents. Neither one is superior than the other. Since the original poster requested British English I don't think it's right to question him/her as to why he/she wants to learn British English. I'm sure you wouldn't question why someone prefers Coke over Pepsi.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
kurezi (Offline)
I like cookies.

02-01-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you'd feel the same way if your culture was brutally raped and spat on.
I am part Armenian. They've experienced a genocide that most of the world will never admit happened. Please don't throw that into a simple conversation about language. It has nothing to do here.
Quote:
I'm sure you wouldn't question why someone prefers Coke over Pepsi.
I'm completely confused. One moment the fact that your school shoves American spelling down your throat ruins your life and the next you say that it's as trivial as the difference between two soda brands? Just...wow.