JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-28-2007, 09:03 PM

JET certainly hires folks from England, so if you have a BA or BS equiv. from England I bet that would work.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-29-2007, 12:12 AM

I just wanted to drop in and support what MMM is saying. Unless you can provide enough of an advantage to outweigh the pain a company would have to go through to hire you... I wouldn`t say "give up" - but something pretty close to it.

Citizenship is only really an option if you plan to live in Japan forever, and are prepared to give up any other citizenships you hold. Japan does *not* subscribe to the multiple citizenship thing. If you were to acquire Japanese citizenship, you have a period of time in which to choose which citizenship you are going to give priority to (6 months to a year, I believe). If you choose Japanese, then the others have to go.
It isn`t an impossible thing to do, but you would have to jump through quite a few hurdles. I`m currently processing. It can takes years to get approval.

Living costs are reasonable pretty much everywhere other than Tokyo and Osaka. If you`re going into film, obviously Tokyo is the place to be... But as I don`t see that as a possibility, especially in the beginning, why not live somewhere else? Tokyo is really overrated, but it seems to be the only city anyone can think of when it comes to Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-29-2007, 12:52 AM

For a career like that, Tokyo is going to be the place to be, but unless I was rich I wouldn't want to put up with the sacrifices you have to make to live in Tokyo.