JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TaiMai (Offline)
New to JF

Relocation... The Film Industry In Japan... Cost Of Living... - 11-27-2007, 08:05 PM

I am a filmmaker from the United States wanting to relocate to Japan.

Presently, I am in England finishing my degree in Film and Television Production. Once finished, I plan on going back to the States for a few years, continue working and saving my earnings, move to Japan, and find work over there... you know, build up my career and all that frank zappa jazz...

I don’t see this happening any earlier than mid-2009.

Anyways, because of my degree (or, degree-to-be) I presume it makes me a more worthy-candidate for employment in Japan. I'm familiar with foreign entry policies and the like, and about how most foreign employers disregard CV’s and Resumes with no certifiable degrees attached. I’m sure Japan is no different...

Now on to the questions...

Without even reading anything beforehand, I assume one must obtain a workers permit (or visa) through their employer before entry to the country. That’s usually how the cookie crumbles... but to make sure, can someone clarify with me on this?

I’ve also heard that Japan does NOT require US citizens to purchase a Visa if staying no more than 90 days... is this correct? Partially correct? Does that mean I can fly to Japan, basically with just my passport and my luggage for 90 days whilst I search for employment?

Also (if anyone here knows), how big is the movie/television industry in Japan, and how high is the demand for skilled people in that line of work?

And to make it known, I am familiar a little bit of Japanese... though, I’ve forgotten most of what I was taught back in High School (granted I'm 21 now, so it has been 3 years)... I started up again with a program called Rosetta Stone/ Japanese Edition. So hopefully, by 2009 I won’t be as ignorant about the language as I am now.

Anyways, here is a list of all the major studios in Japan. (Feel free to add to the list if you think any other studio[s] deserves a spot.)

1. The Nikkatsu Corporation, Located in Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo
2. Office Kitano, Located in Akasaka, Tokyo
3. Shochiku Company Ltd, Located in Chuo-ku, Tokyo
4. Toei Company, Located in Kyoto and in Tokyo, Japan
5. Toho Company Ltd, Located in Chiyoda, Tokyo

The Biggest out of the five being TOHO COMPANY...

COST OF LIVING.

I understand Tokyo is an expensive city; that said, I would favor to live just outside Tokyo but near a rail-station for quick commuting. What is the typical cost of living for someone housed near the sectors of Tokyo (as given above)? Or, in other words, what is the typical cost of living for someone living just outside of Tokyo?

(rent, utilities, food, transport WITHOUT car, etc.)

Any help and/or comments are much appreciated.

Also note. The underlining idea is to obtain citizenship... what is the simplest process of going about this? (besides marriage...lol... well, I guess it isn’t THAT bad of an idea. )

So, without turning this post into a novel, I say "thank you".

-Josh B.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-27-2007, 10:06 PM

Without even reading anything beforehand, I assume one must obtain a workers permit (or visa) through their employer before entry to the country. That’s usually how the cookie crumbles... but to make sure, can someone clarify with me on this?

You got it!

I’ve also heard that Japan does NOT require US citizens to purchase a Visa if staying no more than 90 days... is this correct? Partially correct? Does that mean I can fly to Japan, basically with just my passport and my luggage for 90 days whilst I search for employment?

Yes and no. A 90-day tourist visa is free for any American with a passport. However, you cannot legally look for employment, and more importantly, no company can legally hire you, or promise to hire you.

Also (if anyone here knows), how big is the movie/television industry in Japan, and how high is the demand for skilled people in that line of work?

It's a huge industry. Demand for skilled people:high. Demand for skilled foreigners: low.

And to make it known, I am familiar a little bit of Japanese... though, I’ve forgotten most of what I was taught back in High School (granted I'm 21 now, so it has been 3 years)... I started up again with a program called Rosetta Stone/ Japanese Edition. So hopefully, by 2009 I won’t be as ignorant about the language as I am now.

Unless you are fluent in Japanese, don't expect to find any work outside of the English teaching world.

Anyways, here is a list of all the major studios in Japan. (Feel free to add to the list if you think any other studio[s] deserves a spot.)

1. The Nikkatsu Corporation, Located in Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo
2. Office Kitano, Located in Akasaka, Tokyo
3. Shochiku Company Ltd, Located in Chuo-ku, Tokyo
4. Toei Company, Located in Kyoto and in Tokyo, Japan
5. Toho Company Ltd, Located in Chiyoda, Tokyo

The Biggest out of the five being TOHO COMPANY...

COST OF LIVING.

I understand Tokyo is an expensive city; that said, I would favor to live just outside Tokyo but near a rail-station for quick commuting. What is the typical cost of living for someone housed near the sectors of Tokyo (as given above)? Or, in other words, what is the typical cost of living for someone living just outside of Tokyo?

Good question. There are several threads dedicated to this question.

(rent, utilities, food, transport WITHOUT car, etc.)

Any help and/or comments are much appreciated.

Also note. The underlining idea is to obtain citizenship... what is the simplest process of going about this? (besides marriage...lol... well, I guess it isn’t THAT bad of an idea. )

Citizenship? (Not legal permanent resident?) If you want to be a citizen of Japan get really good at soccer, play in Japan for many years while appearing regularly on Japanese variety shows, and then apply.

So, without turning this post into a novel, I say "thank you".

-Josh B.

If you are familiar withyour indusry, as i am sure you are, getting "in" is hard and takes a lot of luck. You need to start finding connections, or else I think this dream maybe very hard to fulfill.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
TaiMai (Offline)
New to JF

11-27-2007, 11:53 PM

You got it!

Cool beans.

Yes and no. A 90-day tourist visa is free for any American with a passport. However, you cannot legally look for employment, and more importantly, no company can legally hire you, or promise to hire you.

Oh OK, that's pretty much what I figured, but they really can't promise to hire you? interesting...

It's a huge industry. Demand for skilled people:high. Demand for skilled foreigners: low.

Why do you say that? Does being a foreigner honestly have anything to do with how skilled you are at your craft? Or even more importantly, how well you can do your job? I've worked in France, Mexico, and Spain and I don't speak any of their languages. I don't mean to argue with you, I just don't understand what you're getting at... unless Japan is completely different from the rest of the world or something.

Unless you are fluent in Japanese, don't expect to find any work outside of the English teaching world.

Have you been to Arizona, or the West Coast? There are plenty of Mexican immigrants, both legal and illegal, who don't speak ANY English whatsoever, and who are doing very well financially. I've even worked with a few back when I worked at CJS Studios.

Besides, I'm learning Japanese right now. I don't expect to be quote/unquote "fluent" in Japanese when the time comes, but there always a need for bilingual employees. ESPECIALLY in the movie business where you get people from all around the world working in one place. So, who knows... I might even have to learn a third language if it comes to it.

Good question. There are several threads dedicated to this question.

Cool. I'll search on my own, but if you could post up some links to the more important threads, that'd help a lot.

Citizenship? (Not legal permanent resident?) If you want to be a citizen of Japan get really good at soccer, play in Japan for many years while appearing regularly on Japanese variety shows, and then apply.

I didn't know there was an alternative to Japanese Citizenship... interesting... Legal Permanent Resident basically means i'm allowed to live, travel, and work within Japan, but am still opt for deportation if I break any laws, correct?

If you are familiar with your industry, as i am sure you are, getting "in" is hard and takes a lot of luck. You need to start finding connections, or else I think this dream maybe very hard to fulfill.

Just like poker, yes, luck is a factor.. but there is also an incredible amount of skill involved as well. Case in point: I was offered a job down in Rome last summer, which I eventually had to turn down, but I've never even been to Rome before... and I don't speak Italian. They obviously didn't care whether or not I was able to communicate in their native tongue, or at least not as much as they did about how good I did my job.

Again, I'm not arguing with you, honestly. I'm just trying to understand the situation in front of me.

You'll find out, if you haven't already, once I have a goal in mind I pretty much set out to accomplish whatever it is. So, if I come off as being prickly I do apologize.

And thanks again for taking the time to help me out...

-Josh B.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-28-2007, 12:03 AM

Here's my 2 yen:

MMM, you are definitely right on the tourist visa question in a legal sense. But the truth is, while JET's get three year visas granted long before they step in the country, the rest of us come over on a 90 day visa regardless of whether or not we've secured a job before arriving. What happens then is your employer submits a change of visa status request to immigration. In my case it was granted that day, but some people have to go through a trial period and wait about thirty months for it to be granted. This is how it works for about 60 to 70% of private ALT's. First you get a gaijin card, usually registered at your companies address. Then you file for the visa with immigration. After the visa is granted, you change your address and enroll in the national health insurance.

About working in the film industry, this is my advice. Bite the bullet like the rest of us and teach for a while. A lot of people do this and here is why: ninety days is not enough time to build contacts for being hired into something like the film industry. Second reason, teaching for a year gives you a chance to also improve your Japanese and get tested like taking the JLPT or BJT. A third reason is that I doubt there are going to be any immediate openings.

Honestly your best chance at being hired quickly into a field like that is to join a club, take classes at a university or just do it as a hobby and pray someone spots your work. Most Japanese companies, when they need new people hire them directly from universities. When there is not enough students who are qualified, then they consider looking for foreigners to hire.

As far as citzenship, even if you marry you are not a citizen. You have the visa status of spouse of a Japanese national. Permanent residence requires you to have lived in Japan for 5 to 10 years before you can apply. Getting a three year working visa, unless you are a JET, is hard enough as it is.

頑張る!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-28-2007, 12:19 AM

Oh OK, that's pretty much what I figured, but they really can't promise to hire you? interesting...

I an not saying someone wouldn't, but legally, no. I have found that these sorts of laws are followed very closely, though.

Why do you say that? Does being a foreigner honestly have anything to do with how skilled you are at your craft? Or even more importantly, how well you can do your job? I've worked in France, Mexico, and Spain and I don't speak any of their languages. I don't mean to argue with you, I just don't understand what you're getting at... unless Japan is completely different from the rest of the world or something.

Then maybe Japan is different than the rest of the world. Put it this way, you need to have a skill that above and beyond what a Japanese person can do AND be able to communicate in Japanese for you to be a valuble asset. More than that becaue the company needs to go through miles or redtape to hire a foreigner, and the first question the government will ask is "Why does Josh have that 125,000,000 Japanese don't?" That's why you get foreign athletes in Japan that don't speak Japanese: they have a special skill that Japanese don't have. That's why 99% of foreigners working for Japanese employers are English (foreign language) teachers. They have a skill Japanese don't. Japanese people don't speak English. So the responsibilty to be able to communicate will be yours.

Have you been to Arizona, or the West Coast? There are plenty of Mexican immigrants, both legal and illegal, who don't speak ANY English whatsoever, and who are doing very well financially. I've even worked with a few back when I worked at CJS Studios..

Daily. I don't think you are getting it. Japanese do menial labor in Japan. Go to McDonald's in many places in the US and everyone behond the counter is hispanic. You would never see a foreigner behind the counter at a McDonald's in Japan. How could a foreigner be more skilled at making fries than a Japanese?

.Besides, I'm learning Japanese right now. I don't expect to be quote/unquote "fluent" in Japanese when the time comes, but there always a need for bilingual employees. ESPECIALLY in the movie business where you get people from all around the world working in one place. So, who knows... I might even have to learn a third language if it comes to it.

There is not always a need for bilingual employees. There is almost never a need for bilingual employees. Japanese movies are made by Japanese people and are in Japanese. Sure, there are international productions like "Letters from Iwo Jima", and there is a situation where your special skills would be useful. But how often does that come up? (And American production, too).

Cool. I'll search on my own, but if you could post up some links to the more important threads, that'd help a lot.

I didn't really follow those threads too much as I don't live in Japan now.

I didn't know there was an alternative to Japanese Citizenship... interesting... Legal Permanent Resident basically means i'm allowed to live, travel, and work within Japan, but am still opt for deportation if I break any laws, correct?

Right. I can think of about three foreigners that are Japanese "citizens". It never happens. You want permanent residency. The easiest way is to marry a Japanese.

If you are familiar with your industry, as i am sure you are, getting "in" is hard and takes a lot of luck. You need to start finding connections, or else I think this dream maybe very hard to fulfill.

Just like poker, yes, luck is a factor.. but there is also an incredible amount of skill involved as well. Case in point: I was offered a job down in Rome last summer, which I eventually had to turn down, but I've never even been to Rome before... and I don't speak Italian. They obviously didn't care whether or not I was able to communicate in their native tongue, or at least not as much as they did about how good I did my job.

That's too bad you couldn't take it. The first thing they care about in Japan is communication. Chances are a Japanese movie director isn't going to speak English. Let's say you want to be a cameraman. Even if you are a very skilled cameraman, if the director can't communicate with you, how can his vision make it to film? Italian directors probably do speak English. Japanese directors probably don't. Now if you are the best cameraman, or let's say cinematographer, in the business and have made a name for yourself, well then things change a little. It might be worth it for them to hire an interpretor. Otherwise I am not sure what about you is going to stick out.

Put it this way, in any industry where being your being a foreigner isn't an advantage, then it is automatically a disadvantage.

Again, I'm not arguing with you, honestly. I'm just trying to understand the situation in front of me.

You'll find out, if you haven't already, once I have a goal in mind I pretty much set out to accomplish whatever it is. So, if I come off as being prickly I do apologize.

And thanks again for taking the time to help me out...

-Josh B.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-28-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Here's my 2 yen:

MMM, you are definitely right on the tourist visa question in a legal sense. But the truth is, while JET's get three year visas granted long before they step in the country, the rest of us come over on a 90 day visa regardless of whether or not we've secured a job before arriving. What happens then is your employer submits a change of visa status request to immigration. In my case it was granted that day, but some people have to go through a trial period and wait about thirty months for it to be granted. This is how it works for about 60 to 70% of private ALT's. First you get a gaijin card, usually registered at your companies address. Then you file for the visa with immigration. After the visa is granted, you change your address and enroll in the national health insurance.

About working in the film industry, this is my advice. Bite the bullet like the rest of us and teach for a while. A lot of people do this and here is why: ninety days is not enough time to build contacts for being hired into something like the film industry. Second reason, teaching for a year gives you a chance to also improve your Japanese and get tested like taking the JLPT or BJT. A third reason is that I doubt there are going to be any immediate openings.

Honestly your best chance at being hired quickly into a field like that is to join a club, take classes at a university or just do it as a hobby and pray someone spots your work. Most Japanese companies, when they need new people hire them directly from universities. When there is not enough students who are qualified, then they consider looking for foreigners to hire.

As far as citzenship, even if you marry you are not a citizen. You have the visa status of spouse of a Japanese national. Permanent residence requires you to have lived in Japan for 5 to 10 years before you can apply. Getting a three year working visa, unless you are a JET, is hard enough as it is.

頑張る!

Good points. I think the main thing is making connections. Getting to know people. Another way is getting to be a part of an American production filming in Japan. These are pretty rare, as Japan is expensive. ("Black Rain" ran out of money, and the final scenes were done in LA.)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-28-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Japanese people don't speak English.
I find this quote very amusing, haha. Because it is very true. Even most Japanese English teachers barely speak English. That is why I find it so amusing. When I got my current JTE the first question I get from her is, "Do you speak Japanese?" My thought was, um to you, no. You're the English teacher. So I said no, not at all. Three months later she turns to me and says, "I have to take a test for English proficiency, but I am not worried. My English has improved a lot because I have to speak it with you." It was f'ing hilarious.

Anyways Josh, no one is trying to discourage you because I know as well as I'm sure MMM knows that while what you are trying to do is not impossible, it certainly is difficult. Step 1 should just be getting over, meeting people and learning the language. You know there are some people who make a podcast show based in Tokyo who I am pretty sure are foreign. You may want to search iTunes for that and try to get in touch with them. There was also a post in this section a few days ago for some show on YouTube. Obviously these people are going to know more about filming in Japan than most on this forum.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-28-2007, 01:34 AM

Also I forgot to mention that you have to live about an hour outside of Tokyo before the living cost start to come down. From what I hear, Utsunomiya is a little cheaper and a better place to live. But this is hearsay. If I were going to live in or near Tokyo, it would either be Utsunomiya or the Hachioji or Kichijoji area.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-28-2007, 03:16 AM

Oh yeah, I would never discourage someone from pursuing their dreams, we are just trying to show where they hurdles are going to be,
(#10 (permalink))
Old
TaiMai (Offline)
New to JF

11-28-2007, 08:13 PM

Perfect, perfect, perfect... this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks to all of you.

I understand now what it is I need to do.

And note to the person who recommended JET: I don't have a Bachelor's degree so I don't qualify for the program, well, unless they have a UK equivalent... It would be great to teach English over there.

I'll be back soon with an update and more questions...

Ciao,

-Josh B.