LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
1standarduser (Offline)
New to JF

Looking for work in Tokyo - 12-02-2007, 11:04 PM

Any Advise?

About me:
I have a valid Visa and a Japanese wife, so that's not a problem.
I only have a 2 year degree, and several certificates, but no BA.
I have almost no experience teaching.

There is a job offer for a teaching position outside of Tokyo, but the pay is only 200,000 for full time work, and I'd MUCH rather be in Tokyo (or Matsusaka) and make more money.

Looking to get over there in February or so.

Any advice? Any jobs you know of?
If so, please PM me, post here, or email me at GameClucks@Hotmail.com
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-02-2007, 11:42 PM

Looking for full-time teaching jobs without a 4-year degree is a little tricky. Is 200,000 so bad? I don't think so.

You may be hitting diminishing returns if the priority is being inside Tokyo. You might make another few man a month, but if your living expense are double, is it worth it?

I lived in a 6-jyo apartment just outside of Osaka for 60,000 a month. My friend lived about 30 minutes from me, farther away from the city. He paid 60,000 a month for a three-bedroom house.

What's the appeal of living in Tokyo? I mean, you are already married, so the singles/club scene isn't it. Everything's more expensive. It's more crowded. You don't want to start a family there unless you have a fairly big house or apartment, and that's going to be expensive.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-02-2007, 11:53 PM

Your visa is what most English teaching companies care about. The requirement of a degree is mainly to please immigration. I would say apply anyways and when you do send a picture of your visa.

About getting well paying jobs outside of teaching, what is your work experience and Japanese ability? Teaching without experience is very easy, but then it is nearly impossible to rise above 300,000 yen a month without a master's in TESL. So you may want to look at different fields for that reason, but your possibility to find other work depends on your answer to the question above.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-03-2007, 04:29 AM

Almost forgot, I second MMM's opinion of living in Tokyo. If it is for a job making good money, sure go for it. If you are making average wages or teaching, I would at least get as far away as Utsunomiya or Saitama City. Even Yokohama is more relaxed than Tokyo.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
1standarduser (Offline)
New to JF

12-03-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Almost forgot, I second MMM's opinion of living in Tokyo. If it is for a job making good money, sure go for it. If you are making average wages or teaching, I would at least get as far away as Utsunomiya or Saitama City. Even Yokohama is more relaxed than Tokyo.

Here it is, and oddly honest:
I don't like a big city, I think Seattle is too big.
But, I like martial arts and all the MuayThai/MMA shows and gyms are in Tokyo.
I have one friend from Seattle, and one only that lives in Japan; he lives in Tokyo.
There's a place in Matsusaka (mie-ken) that's only a couple hundred for a house, and that's where the family is, so it's a good spot too.... but I haven't been able to find work there online yet.

Looks like it'll be Tokyo for the 1st year or 2.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
1standarduser (Offline)
New to JF

12-03-2007, 09:20 PM

bump
ttt
bump