JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Hilot (Offline)
New to JF

University courses and Japan. - 12-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Hello there JapanForum.

I've been checking this forum for a while now and there seems to be quite a few people that seem good at giving advice.

I am currently finalising my university applications and I find myself in somewhat of a quandary. I'm torn between applying for a Single Honours Degree in 'Japanese' or a Joint Honours Degree of 'Japanese and Politics'.

The Single Honours Degree allows you to study the language, the culture and a 'floater' unit (broken-down: 50% Language, 25% Japanese Culture, 25% any other course in the university).

The Joint Honours Degree is focused on the language and the other course only, no cultural aspects (broken-down: 50% language, 50% Politics).

Now, I would like to study the cultural aspects of Japan as part of my course as I do find the culture of Japan very interesting. However, I would also like a reasonably interesting job at the end of university (ideally, not working in a call-centre in Wales or some such), and I worry that a Single Honours in Japanese might restrict my options.

I've got a vague outline of what I intend to pursue (JET, Foreign and Commonwealth Office etc), but nothing concrete yet. I would like to work in Japan at some point, or at least with the country in an international capacity.

Anyway, I was hoping I could have some general advice from anyone that has gone along these lines. In fact, any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-21-2007, 08:14 PM

I am not familiar with UK University terms, but for working in Japan, at least, like JET all that matters is that you have a 4-year degree, and your major field of study really doesn't matter. I knew JETs that were math majors, science majors, business majors...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ryochonan1 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not familiar with UK University terms, but for working in Japan, at least, like JET all that matters is that you have a 4-year degree, and your major field of study really doesn't matter. I knew JETs that were math majors, science majors, business majors...
I heard JET and NOVA are not good places to work
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-22-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryochonan1 View Post
I heard JET and NOVA are not good places to work
You heard wrong about Nova, 4,000 teachers lost their jobs when the company went bankrupt. Now 2,000 have been rehired although some of them still don't have work since not all the schools are reopened. Nova has done major damage to the image of the English conversation school industry as whole and also robbed thousands of Japanese of a lot of money.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-22-2007, 08:47 AM

My opinion on your choice of majors is this:

If you really, really want to work for the government, obviously the second degree is what you will choose since it is more political science oriented.

If you want to work for a global company, choose the first major and use that remaining 25% to take as many business classes as you can. Finance, accounting, marketing, management, whatever interests you the most.

Whichever major you choose, focus a lot on learning the language. Fluency will get you farther in Japan than either business or poli-sci courses.

Good luck and 頑張ってね

Last edited by jasonbvr : 12-22-2007 at 08:49 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-22-2007, 08:57 AM

Personally, if I were you I'd do the Joint honours. Generally, if you get a language degree, you tend to be restricted to working in the language field i.e. Teacher, translator etc. Where as with joint honours, you can do this, and MORE.

As for culture, I have to take French culture here in France. Personally I think it's a waste of time for the simple reason that; most of what I learnt in those classes, I actually learnt just by living in Paris, talking to people etc. Then there is the more complex side. This stuff isn't so easy to just pick up everyday, but if you're interested in culture, it's not hard to learn about it. At least I found it easy to learn whatever I didn't learn in class anyway. This might be because France/Paris is like the cultural capital of the world, but I found it really easy to learn about poets and dramatists etc. I just simply go to the net, search about them; I find a theatre/house (museum kind of thing) that represents their work. I go and I learn.

But this is if you're really interested in culture. Otherwise, I believe you can learn people’s cultures just by living in the country and being surrounded by the people... With that said, don't do what most foreigners do in my university. Don't stick around people from your country or people that just speak your language. I'm responsible for these students, and sometimes it frustrates me when they ask me such simple things about the country/customs/people just because they don't mix with the French.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Hilot (Offline)
New to JF

12-22-2007, 07:09 PM

Hmmm, well, I'll take all this into account.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Much appreciated.