JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shaunyac (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese Profiency Test? - 01-12-2008, 12:34 PM

I know that there are 4 grades on the test, 1 being the best and 4, worst. Is there any restrictions on getting a 4 instead of a 1?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
01-12-2008, 02:46 PM

I don't understand your question?

You choose which level you want to enter and either pass or fail. You can do any level without doing previous levels.

Does this help?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Shaunyac (Offline)
New to JF

01-12-2008, 02:47 PM

If you decide to go for level 1 and pass, will it give you any big advantage over going for level 4 and passing?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunyac View Post
If you decide to go for level 1 and pass, will it give you any big advantage over going for level 4 and passing?

of course it will... a level 1 pass means you're pretty much as fluent as a native speaker. This opens up most jobs to you

Level 4 pass means you can introduce yourself and find the exit in a train station lol. A level 4 pass won't really enable you to do anything more job-wise than a gaijin with no Japanese language ability. Until you pass level 2 it is as useful as writing your name on toilet paper if you want a better job in Japan unfortunately. I think the lower levels are just used to help motivate people in their studies (improve each year etc.)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-12-2008, 03:07 PM

i didnt know level 4 was that basic. good to know that im probably a 3.

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdrag0n View Post
i didnt know level 4 was that basic. good to know that im probably a 3.
yeah, it's aimed at true beginners. It's a good stepping stone to build study confidence I guess but not worth anything more than that in the real world
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-12-2008, 03:16 PM

the thing with me is that i can talk in normal conversations but i cant talk about politics or anything like that. i can recognize and read about 400-450 kanji but writing them is a different story because just looking and knowing the kanji reading easier than remembering how to write them...at least i think so. anyways what level do you think i would actually be? a 3 after all?

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#8 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
the thing with me is that i can talk in normal conversations but i cant talk about politics or anything like that. i can recognize and read about 400-450 kanji but writing them is a different story because just looking and knowing the kanji reading easier than remembering how to write them...at least i think so. anyways what level do you think i would actually be? a 3 after all?
yeah, probably level 3 simply because there is a big jump to level 2 (over 1000kanji needed)

grab yourself a DS and tadashii kanji kakitori kun - helped my kanji improve incredibly quickly!!!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-12-2008, 03:34 PM

oh damn. well i have a break until april so ill probably get a kanji practice book or that game you mentioned because i have a DS already. but its really amazing how much kanji you learn just by living here.

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#10 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
oh damn. well i have a break until april so ill probably get a kanji practice book or that game you mentioned because i have a DS already. but its really amazing how much kanji you learn just by living here.
game is 3000yen from yodabashi camera - pretty much the same price as a text book which makes it a no-brainer if you have a ds already haha