LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
vinamaso (Offline)
New to JF

Standard living cost in Japan - 01-13-2008, 12:41 PM

Dear All,

I'm going to settle down in Japan...
can any one let me know about standard living cost in Japan?

Thanks

(#2 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

01-13-2008, 12:50 PM

I won't be able to answer that, but someone that can will surely ask you to be a LOT more specific... where in japan, what kinda living conditions are you looking for, do you have a job, are you a student etc etc
(#3 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
01-13-2008, 12:53 PM

have you ever been to Japan? If not, I would recommend that you visit short-term first before deciding you want to settle out here

A lot of people come with ideas of what Japan is like and end up a little dissappointed
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinamaso View Post
Dear All,

I'm going to settle down in Japan...
can any one let me know about standard living cost in Japan?

Thanks
That's like saying "I want to live in America, how much does it cost?" There are vast differences between a house or apartment in New York or SF vs rural Montana or Wyoming, the cost of fancy dinners at 5 star restaurants vs family diners and fast food, Rodeo Drive designer clothes and Wal-mart off the rack.

You can find all the same variety of prices in Japan... it depends upon what lifestyle you want to live. A 1 room apartment in a smaller town, family restaurants or cooking for yourself, and department store shopping can be very reasonable, while a fancy place in the heart of Tokyo, dinners of Kobe beef and lobster, and designer clothes will cost a lot.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
hiltonjapan (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2008, 06:55 PM

Just curious: how can you make a decision about settling down somewhere, and not know the cost of living? If you were filthy rich I could understand it not being an issue, but since you asked, you obviously are not. Please, elaborate.

http://www.hiltonjapan.com
A window on life in Japan and an exploration of Japanese culture, customs, politics, and history.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-17-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltonjapan View Post
Just curious: how can you make a decision about settling down somewhere, and not know the cost of living? If you were filthy rich I could understand it not being an issue, but since you asked, you obviously are not. Please, elaborate.
It could be a situation where the person visited a few times and decided that he/she wanted to live there. Most people don't even think about prices and stuff if vacationing since they probably would've stayed in hotels/hostels. Same goes with food. They would probably dine out if vacationing as opposed to shopping at a market for food.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
hiltonjapan (Offline)
New to JF

01-18-2008, 03:55 AM

True enough, but wouldn't knowing the cost of living influence the decision in the first place? If you decide to settle somewhere, the decision is made and the cost of living shouldn't really matter at that point...

http://www.hiltonjapan.com
A window on life in Japan and an exploration of Japanese culture, customs, politics, and history.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-18-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
have you ever been to Japan? If not, I would recommend that you visit short-term first before deciding you want to settle out here

A lot of people come with ideas of what Japan is like and end up a little dissappointed
yes very true. its not the peachy anime they were thinking of...sadly. as for me, i spent about $1,500 a month on living expenses. rent, food, going out, even pasmo adds up after awhile.

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sphinx (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2008, 12:40 AM

You should gather more info when making such a serious decision. Anyway, there are quite a few sites out there dedicated to this topic. Some of them:

Prices and living cost in Japan
Living Expenses