JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TakuanSoho (Offline)
New to JF

Careers in Japan* - 01-17-2008, 07:21 PM

Hello Everyone I'm new to the forums. I am wondering what are good choices as a career in japan? I know one of them is an ESL teacher but I figured if one can learn/speak the language at a fluent level there could be better choices. I start college this July. I enrolled in International Business but I'm not sure, because this does not concentrate on one country if I'm not mistaken. What I want is simply to be a business man in japan. Another way is to work for a Japanese company here in the states and transfer.

What are your thoughts/Advice?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-17-2008, 11:40 PM

Are you majoring in International Business? If so, you can minor in Asian studies or something like that. With International Business, I'm quite sure it's mandatory to have to take some type of a foreign language or cultural study or a particular country.

That aside, if you become fluent enough, maybe you could work as a CIR (Coordinator for International Relations). I know this is an option through JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) program, so maybe one can pursue a career in this without the assistance of the JET program or something similar. All I know is that to work as a CIR, you have to be really really really fluent in the language. IIRC, someone here was saying you have to pass at least the level 2 JPT.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-18-2008, 01:18 AM

CIR's are usually former JET's. My advice, study Japanese like there's no tomorrow, do a study abroad here if you can, keep your grades up, and you will have no problem getting a job at a multinational in Tokyo or somewhere without going the teaching route.

Cultural studies, other than business culture, won't do anything for you as far as jobs. It is nice though to understand more about where you are living and keeps you from looking like an idiot in some situations.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ichigo2013 (Offline)
Sound Village for LIFE!!

Send a message via MSN to Ichigo2013 Send a message via Yahoo to Ichigo2013
01-18-2008, 01:19 AM

Hello, and I just wanted to say that my life long dream is to move to Japan and become a Japanese Architect. I'm working on it now, but I'm only a High School Freshmen so I've got some time to wait on.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sphinx (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2008, 12:52 AM

I think an IT degree is always good. Also, a great advantage is being fluent in Japanese. There is always the option of teaching languages, though...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-19-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
CIR's are usually former JET's. My advice, study Japanese like there's no tomorrow, do a study abroad here if you can, keep your grades up, and you will have no problem getting a job at a multinational in Tokyo or somewhere without going the teaching route.

Cultural studies, other than business culture, won't do anything for you as far as jobs. It is nice though to understand more about where you are living and keeps you from looking like an idiot in some situations.
When I applied to be a JET I had the choice between ALT and CIR. I think they are both hired through the same system.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
When I applied to be a JET I had the choice between ALT and CIR. I think they are both hired through the same system.
They are... they're both part of the JET Program, along with the newest category, SEA (who help to coach sports). When you apply to JET, you must choose 1 (and only 1) job to apply to, and by FAR the most openings are for ALTs (about 95% of openings, if not more). CIRs make up most of the rest, and they only take a few SEAs right now, though it may grow in the future.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#8 (permalink))
Old
blpkg (Offline)
New to JF

01-22-2008, 07:05 AM

Wonder if airlines in Japan ever accept foreign pilots?