JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2008, 07:37 AM

Good story! My students always seemed to know me, the embarrassing thing was when I didn't recognize them! But I rotated between 22 different JTEs/classes at the 2 schools combined, and I was lucky to see the same class twice in a month. It made it hard to really get to know many of the students, though they'd often say hi to me around town, etc.

But I remember 1 girl at the Technical school... she would often seem bored or fall asleep in class. One day my JTE in the class suggested that we try very easy debates... The student and I would go back and forth, 1 sentence at a time, in order to practice listening and reasoning. I thought it might be too hard for the class, but the JTE said let's try. None of the kids wanted to try it, except that 1 girl. The JTE picked the topic "Which makes a better pet, cats or dogs?" and she went right at it, choosing dogs as I recall. Her English was excellent, and she seemed to understand and respond to each point I made. The whole class was shocked and applauded her. After class, the JTE explained that he'd made the assignment knowing she'd volunteer, and that she was very gifted with languages. She had taken part in the finals of an all-Japan English language debate competition. Unfortunately, she was either not as good in other subjects, or just got nervous on tests, and so she'd failed to qualify to attend the Academic school. She tended to sleep in class not because she wasn't interested, but because the level of English there was so far beneath her she got bored.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#22 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-24-2008, 02:12 PM

How did you guys do at your interviews?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-24-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
How did you guys do at your interviews?
I feared that I didn't get to say everything I really wanted to say, and that I didn't do as well as I could have. You pretty much respond to the rapid-fire questions of 3 interviewers, and then a very quick closing statement... it was over in less than 15 minutes. But I guess I got my feelings across anyway, because I was accepted. But I was really sweating waiting to hear if I'd made it or not.

(#24 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-24-2008, 07:24 PM

That's good. I'll keep that in mind for myself too. lol

Oh yeah, how does insurance work? I read someplace that it's good to keep the same insurance you have in your home country and to get it after getting into JET. What if you're in a situation where you don't even have insurance in your home country?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-25-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
That's good. I'll keep that in mind for myself too. lol

Oh yeah, how does insurance work? I read someplace that it's good to keep the same insurance you have in your home country and to get it after getting into JET. What if you're in a situation where you don't even have insurance in your home country?
Your info was wrong. They sign you up for a mandatory Japanese insurance program when you get there. I'm not sure if it's identical for all JETS or if ESID, but all JETs are required to have Japanese insurance. The payments for it will be automatically deducted from your bank account or paycheck. I didn't have any insurance before going to Japan, and I didn't keep any US insurance while there... there's no reason to do that. At most you'll be in the US only a few weeks out of the year anyway.

(#26 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-25-2008, 04:26 AM

All the Nova teachers have either, a) got jobs by now, b) gone home or c) are probably teaching in Korea. The ones that don't fall into those three categories are probably milking unemployment insurance for all it's worth. I know the Nova in my city is still shut down, but I never knew the teachers aside from seeing them outside or in the shop.

As far as being able to get a job quickly if JET doesn't take you into their loving arms and cuddle you like a little baby, there are always openings for ALT's somewhere in this country. In fact, you can have my job right now. I wouldn't mind at all. The tough part is finding a job where you want to work and for the amount you are willing to work for, but that is probably only those who are working in Japan already. Most people just want to get over here when they first come and don't care where it is.

One more thing, I don't think our two JET alumns mentioned it, but one of the questions you will get goes something like, "If you had 20 retards (students) in front of you right now, demonstrate a quick lesson for us." Am I right alumns? So think about that, and I would wager your best bet would be to include a game and song element to it. And maybe something "cultural" like a Valentines lesson stressing the differences between US V'day and Japan V'day.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-25-2008, 04:40 AM

Some other junk about getting teaching English jobs overseas, this is just in general but may be of use. Say really retarded things like, "I want to spread international understanding through getting involved in the community and really learning about the Japanese people and culture so I can come home and share with all my friends and family." This little line of super cheesiness should work wonders for you. No, seriously, it should. It's a lot better than saying, "I want to go to Japan to experience firsthand the awesome technology and innovation going on there." Why is the first better than the last? Simple, the JET program doesn't want the equivalent of a big tourist living and working in Japan. They want someone who is going to get involved and all that other super stuff.

Also think about making an answer to what is probably their first question, "Why do you want to go to Japan?" Then post it on here so the rest of us can comment. I am not talking essay length. Just what would you say in three lines or less, GO!
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-25-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
All the Nova teachers have either, a) got jobs by now, b) gone home or c) are probably teaching in Korea. The ones that don't fall into those three categories are probably milking unemployment insurance for all it's worth. I know the Nova in my city is still shut down, but I never knew the teachers aside from seeing them outside or in the shop.

As far as being able to get a job quickly if JET doesn't take you into their loving arms and cuddle you like a little baby, there are always openings for ALT's somewhere in this country. In fact, you can have my job right now. I wouldn't mind at all. The tough part is finding a job where you want to work and for the amount you are willing to work for, but that is probably only those who are working in Japan already. Most people just want to get over here when they first come and don't care where it is.

One more thing, I don't think our two JET alumns mentioned it, but one of the questions you will get goes something like, "If you had 20 retards (students) in front of you right now, demonstrate a quick lesson for us." Am I right alumns? So think about that, and I would wager your best bet would be to include a game and song element to it. And maybe something "cultural" like a Valentines lesson stressing the differences between US V'day and Japan V'day.
My interview was a long time ago, so I don't remember a question like that...but it doesn't mean they don't ask now, and it isn't worth preparing for.

Since I had studied Japanese, part of interview was in Japanese. Since I put literature down as one of my hobbies I was asked, in Japanese, to compare the plusses and minuses of Japanese literature with the plusses and minuses of American literature. That was more than a little nerve-wracking.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-25-2008, 06:03 AM

Having lived in Australia all my life, I'm interested in expanding my horizons by spending some time in a country and culture completely different to my own. Japan's rich history, language, religion, traditions and beliefs contrast sharply with Australia's, so I feel that we have a lot to learn from each other.

...although in addition to that I'm bored of Perth and want an adventure with a cushy paycheck and free flights >_>

From what I've read it seems that most questions are to guage your interest in Japan/JET and reasons behind it, your interest and potential in teaching, and how well you do under pressure.

Good to know place hire ALT's all year round - I'm not terribly fussy about where I go (which is why JET will work out nicely if it does work out). Nice to have options though.

EDIT: Quick question - would a JLPT3 increase chances of getting a job as a private ALT (as opposed to a self assessment or Australian course qualifications), or is it too low level to really matter? Just wondering if I should bother aiming for it or wait until I'm up to level 2 to do the proper test.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts

Last edited by ChisaChi : 01-25-2008 at 10:26 AM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

01-25-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Your info was wrong. They sign you up for a mandatory Japanese insurance program when you get there. I'm not sure if it's identical for all JETS or if ESID, but all JETs are required to have Japanese insurance. The payments for it will be automatically deducted from your bank account or paycheck. I didn't have any insurance before going to Japan, and I didn't keep any US insurance while there... there's no reason to do that. At most you'll be in the US only a few weeks out of the year anyway.
So that's how it works. Thanks a lot. Now how does Income Tax work? I still don't understand that much.