JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
saxman66 (Offline)
New to JF

Moving to Japan - 01-23-2008, 10:23 PM

I have been planning to go to Japan for life but hae a few questions about my job and the such. I plan on being an engineer and am wondering if there are any goodd engineering positions in Japan. I also want to know if their are any good engineering colleges because I have not decided wether to go to college in the U.S. or Japan.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
01-24-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman66 View Post
I have been planning to go to Japan for life but hae a few questions about my job and the such. I plan on being an engineer and am wondering if there are any goodd engineering positions in Japan. I also want to know if their are any good engineering colleges because I have not decided wether to go to college in the U.S. or Japan.

What kind of engineer are you? There are worldwide shortages in certain areas so you can get in easily if you are fluent at Japanese with a good degree from a VERY GOOD university

The easiest way, however, would be to get sent over with a foreign company (usually American) - I wouldn't know where to begin with applying to Japanese companies as a foreigner

I would advise you try for initial experience to begin with to see how you cope - the hours are a LOT longer out here (12-14hr days, 6 days a week, are normal) and the pay is lower so don't assume it will be fun/easy all the time
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-24-2008, 03:08 AM

Good advice.

I would also plan on attending an American college, and if you plan on working outside of the US, attend a big University that employers have of heard of. That goes a long way.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
joeian (Offline)
New to JF

01-25-2008, 06:57 PM

have you learn japanese already?