JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SuGrocks (Offline)
JF Regular

Author/Mangaka moving to japan - 02-05-2008, 03:19 AM

okay, so im going to be an author and a mangaka, and im going to do some stuff in fashion, but mostly im going to be an author and mangka, and i was wondering. If you want to move to japan and w/ my ideal occupations what would you really need to do in order to move to japan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-05-2008, 04:34 AM

Start here:

Starer's Handbook in Japan トップページ

I think you have a terrific dream. One problem is that you will have to be an author/mangaka on the side while you do a job that will supply you with a work visa. Mangaka is a great career, but isn't one that people apply and are hired for. (Same with author and fashion designer). To live in Japan you will need a visa, and none of those careers will get you one. Something like teaching English is a more realistic approach to getting into Japan...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

02-05-2008, 04:44 AM

Just out of curiosity, how old are you right now?

Two things to consider:

1. You should really visit Japan for a decent amount of time first. Many people like yourself come to find that although its a wonderful country, its still not at all what they expected.

2. To be able to work and live in Japan, you must go to a university for 4 years. You must also be hired into a job that qualifies for a work visa in Japan. Unfortunately, neither mangaka, author, or fashion designer qualifies for this.

It is, however, possible to be a mangaka of sorts in Japan assuming you have ANOTHER job that you've already been hired for a job that qualifies for a working visa (usually English teacher 99% of the time).

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#4 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
02-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Profile says 15

As has been said, you need a university degree to get a visa. Without that, your dream is pretty much over before it can begin...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-05-2008, 05:15 PM

To be completely honest, I couldn't see my moving to a place like Japan to become an author, but for inspiration and accuracy, if I'm writing about a certain place, I'd visit.

I know of another person who'd like to draw manga, and she's been drawing ever since she was like a real little kid. She's in her late teens now. Out of all the time I've known her, I don't recall her ever wanting to "live" in Japan for the job...only casually visit.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SuGrocks (Offline)
JF Regular

02-17-2008, 05:22 AM

yea i wouldn't want live in japan for the job its just out of liking and such. but you do have a point. :P
and yes i have considered a lot about these things and more. only time can tell now..yes i know that is a very cheesy expression.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-17-2008, 05:29 AM

I guess it sort of depends what you are writing about.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

02-17-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post

Two things to consider:

1. You should really visit Japan for a decent amount of time first. Many people like yourself come to find that although its a wonderful country, its still not at all what they expected.

2. To be able to work and live in Japan, you must go to a university for 4 years. You must also be hired into a job that qualifies for a work visa in Japan. Unfortunately, neither mangaka, author, or fashion designer qualifies for this.

It is, however, possible to be a mangaka of sorts in Japan assuming you have ANOTHER job that you've already been hired for a job that qualifies for a working visa (usually English teacher 99% of the time).
WTF why do you need to know her age? T_T

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.