JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
Sexually transmitted diseases in Japan - 02-13-2008, 09:01 AM

Why the hell are people seemingly so ignorant about the dangers out here?

Just read that, yet again, the number of new aids cases has risen... yet whenever I haved discussed the whole aids problem with a Japanese person, they know very little about the illness and assume it only occurs in Africa or gay people - if that is the attitude of people, this i going to spiral out of control eventually....

Why do Japanese people choose to ignore the dangers of unprotected casual sex - my first girlfriend even said we didn't need a condom out first time in bed together because we were both clean so not in danger (something I dismissed as I had a condom - it later made me wonder if she was indeed clean though which eventually led to a break up after just 2 weeks...)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-13-2008, 09:22 AM

i did a bit of research on this while at university in japan on the students there for an assignment. they all seemed to say to me no condom, no sex. they didn't know the details of the STDs etc but they knew how to protect themselves from them. although condoms don't protect you from STDs such as chlamydia as oral sex etc will transmit this STD just as easily as will touching of genitals. luckily chlamydia is curable with antibiotics.

one club in tokyo had a doctor in there offering free testing for those who wanted it, with 80%+ i think it was 83% testing positive to one STD or another.

Although HIV/AIDs is a very serious disease and we should all be very careful of it, it is important to also know your chances of getting HIV from an infected source.

Receptive Anal sex: 0.005%
Insertive Anal sex: 0.00065%
Receptive Vaginal sex: 0.001%
Insertive Vaginal sex: 0.0005%
Receptive Oral sex (fellatio only): 0.0001%
Insertive Oral sex (fellatio only): 0.00005%

While HIV/AIDs is a very serious matter and I have made sure to get myself tested as all sexually active people should if they have had sex without condom of any sort (regardless of female's use of protection) you need to remember that STDs like chlamydia are far more prevalent with many not knowing they have it due to lack of symptoms. Syphilis is a bit of an epidemic in the Gay community, at least in Australia but shouldn't be a problem to heterosexual males.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiara69169 View Post
I don't think so ...
Care to explain? Or can I group you into the 'idiots in denial' category I will setup for people who like to pretend there is no problem...?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
i did a bit of research on this while at university in japan on the students there for an assignment. they all seemed to say to me no condom, no sex.
Could it be possible some may have just said that to avoid embarrasment though? I wouldn't admit to not using condoms if it were true

Quote:
one club in tokyo had a doctor in there offering free testing for those who wanted it, with 80%+ i think it was 83% testing positive to one STD or another.
Now that is a scary statistic....

Last edited by chachava : 02-13-2008 at 09:27 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-13-2008, 09:28 AM

i should add that it is due to a lack of good education on sex and STDs in the education system. many parents don't want these things taught in school and believe they are better taught at home. others find the topic too embarrassing etc. The situation of education in schools has been improving however at the same time the age of first sexual contact has become younger and more frequent. i should dig out my research as i looked at a number of reports etc..
(#6 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-13-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
Now that is a scary statistic....
i forgot to add to that, one girl was interviewed for a report i read about sex and protection and her answer was that she didn't need it, if she gets pregnant she will just have an abortion. no regard for STDs.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
i forgot to add to that, one girl was interviewed for a report i read about sex and protection and her answer was that she didn't need it, if she gets pregnant she will just have an abortion. no regard for STDs.
"ignorance is bliss"

I am shocked that the government isn't intervening to try and (at least) slow the rate of increase - the fact Japan is the ONLY G8 nation which has shown an increase in new outbreaks says a lot about the attitude problem in my opinion
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ito (Offline)
<3 Fahad

02-13-2008, 10:13 AM

chachava i agree on what u wrote. we have the same problem here in sweden. people just dont belive they can get aids or any other sexually transmitted diseases. and also many belive in myths about these diseases. many here belive that the diseases will show on you if u have it.
i have learned that most people it doesnt show if they have a STD.
becouse from 50-90% of the STD people dont even know they have a STD, depens on what STD it is.
Hugs Ito
STD: sexual transmitted diseas

i got irc now
find mangas on lurk
my site: http://jennikaisa.hi5.com/
Member in deviantart: ito86
http://13gb.com/pictures/2288/ WTF
protest against facebook!!

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sinner (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to Sinner
02-13-2008, 02:01 PM

Is Aids very ordinary in Japan, I meen is it many people who gets infected?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-13-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Is Aids very ordinary in Japan, I meen is it many people who gets infected?
Actually, it just seems that it's easier to get in Japan due to lack for sexual awareness and proper education. I'd read up on this subject a good while back and was really surprised that a country that can be so advanced in some ways can be so far behind in others.