JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

03-05-2008, 01:30 PM

Really, I think that all you can do is just give it your all and try it out! The worse that can happen is that they'll tell you no, they aren't interested in hiring you.

@Tenchu: Why not? :3 People have dreams, wether they can justify them or not. If he wants to go, he should try! It doesn't mean it's going to work perfectly, or that it'll work at all, but at least he won't regret not trying. Right?

(#22 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

03-10-2008, 05:23 AM

Don't come to Japan without a working visa. Very bad idea and you will suffer as you have to let go great opportunities just because you don't have a visa.

You may not know this, but the biggest English school in Japan, Nova, went out of business not so long ago and simply there are more people wanting teach in Japan than the rest of school can take.

So even you come to Japan, there would be very little chance that you get a teaching job right now because most English schools recruit teachers overseas. Many schools have offices in London so I suggest you to check them out and see if they have any positions for you.

If English is not your first language, then you should forget about big schools cos they won't hire you most likely. Try places like Gabba if you just want to come to Japan with a working visa. But you would soon find out that you can't make enough money to survive in Japan. Many gaijin bars hire foreigners as bartenders so it is risky but you could do that.

Anyways, secure your job first and then come to Japan. You could always come to Japan for 3 months and leave. 3 months is long enough to enjoy Japan without going through drama if you have money.

Good luck!!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-10-2008, 06:56 AM

while nova closing down is an issue that was some months ago now and those teachers would have had to of move on by now to other jobs, korea/china/taiwan or returned home. from the ones i know of they had very little money so were forced to go home as at that time job hunting was hard.

now nova didn't close down because of lack of demand for english schools from students. i know the english school i was working for part time was looking to expand in feb last year as they knew nova was in big financial trouble and likely closing down back then. so new schools pop up and teachers are needed.

most schools don't hire from overseas, that is complete rubbish. only the big few do so. all the smaller ones hire from within the country.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

03-10-2008, 07:20 AM

That's not what I meant. When Nova closed down, other big schools didn't take teachers from Nova.

Yes, there are small ones out there but you have to understand that for Europeans with college degrees, making only $1500 is way too low and I don't see why people want to teach English for the pay.

Nova was paying something like $3500 and it was fine for most teachers who came to Japan for a short period of time.

Anyways, I still think people should think hard before coming especially when you can make more money back home.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-10-2008, 07:57 AM

why is everything about money? sigh... why do people think money before other things. people could want a good way to experience a different culture. others do it as a stepping stone, get into japan, do the eikaiwa thing, get your japanese level up then move into other industries.

yes i could be earning twice as much in australia in a graduate position but is that the life i want to live? no.

anyway nova paid in the between 220000 to 280000 yen per month from looking at their salaries a month or so ago. there is no way nova was paying 350000 yen per month which is roughly US$3,500. other places tend to pay between 190000 and 260000 with some paying above that.

As for NOVA staff lets not forget there simply weren't enough positions ready for them when it all went bust. many students lost a lot of money due to nova and may not have been wanting or ready to go to another eikaiwa. the other schools needed time after the collapse to understand the new demand from students and plan new schools, get them set up and running etc. these things have a way of repairing themselves but it takes time, and i would believe things would be starting to correct themselves now.

also considering my eikaiwa i did the part time work at had people from the owner right down to the japanese admin staff, no to mention the students themselves bagging not only NOVA but also their staff it is no wonder places weren't keen on taking all their staff. of all the students i went to university with in Japan that i talked about eikaiwa with, they all told me to stay away from teaching at Nova because they thought it was a bad place from their own experience.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
KeNjouRi (Offline)
New to JF

03-10-2008, 08:04 PM

i didnt quite get it
i did also decide to come japan for 3 month and after that time surely more..
but is that true what i did read you did say that :
''yes you can get a working visa when you are in japan'' is that means i have to find a job inside 3 months or just i can work for 3 months ? it is very important for me .. i ll look forward for the answers..

''der Herrgott nimmt,der Herrgott gibt!''
''KeNjouRi // 0 ''
(#27 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
why is everything about money? sigh... why do people think money before other things.
I think people want to know that they'll be able to afford staying there and able to pay for the necessities (food, a place to stay, transportation) not just getting by from paycheck to paycheck. I know I'd like to be reassured that I'll be okay if living in another country, and that my wages will be enough for the things I'll need.
Quote:
people could want a good way to experience a different culture.
I'm sure a lot do, but I'm also certain that they want financial security, so that they won't end up going broke just to get the necessities.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
KeNjouRi (Offline)
New to JF

03-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Somebody Answer Please

''KeNjouRi // 0 ''
(#29 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-10-2008, 11:04 PM

the 3 months is a tourist visa, you need to get a working visa in that time.

SSJup81, no company is going to pay you so little you can't get buy because otherwise how could they keep the english teachers. I was disputing the fact about not even going to japan because the money is bad blah blah. not everyone cares about having lots of money. those of you who are used to spending and being typical consumers then you might have trouble on the lower wages but i think the salaries are more than enough to live and enjoy your time in Japan.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
KeNjouRi (Offline)
New to JF

03-10-2008, 11:12 PM

yes my friend thanks and i am asking :
is that possible to get working visa while i am in japan for 3 months ?

you said yes i guess but just a sentence so it isnt clear still its mysterious everybody says just a sentence like its not cool to ask about it
SHOULD I APPLY FOR WORKING VISA BEFORE I FIND JOB?
should i go and tell to the japanese consulant that i would like to get a working visa ?
because when you search for a job online most of em wants working visa permit so ..
(by the way im turkish so i dont need visa to stay in japan for 3 months..)

''KeNjouRi // 0 ''

Last edited by KeNjouRi : 03-10-2008 at 11:20 PM.