JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
lpdirufangirl09 (Offline)
Gaijin Zombie Hero

Send a message via AIM to lpdirufangirl09
Job opportunities in Japan? - 03-16-2008, 02:45 AM

Okay, I'm a Junior in High school. one more year to go until i graduate.

i still don't know what i wanna do.

i'm stuck between:
- being a nurse
- cosmetology
- english/japanese teacher. [i either wanna teach english and/or japanese here in the states, or teach english in japan.]

how's the outlook in japan for each of these occupations?

also, anyone know of any colleges in the southern u.s. that offer japanese language courses?

i don't think any in louisiana do. =/

also, i'm asking about these jobs in JP because it's pretty much one of my only chances to 1) get out of louisiana and 2) go to japan, both at the same time.

I'll bloom as the poison flower
and become the flower that blooms again.

(#2 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

03-17-2008, 06:37 AM

Unfortunately, nursing in Japan is not open to foreign labor yet. Many hospitals are understaffed and some of them are desperate to bring in nurses from Southeast Asia but who knows how long that would take. So don't rely on it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that professions like pharmacists and nurses do not make much in Japan in comparison those working in the US.

I think your best chance at this point is to teach English in Japan and if you want to do that, I would recommend you to get a bachelor's degree in the US first.

However, there would be more practical degrees if your focus is to get a job in Japan and stay there for long term. Business or engineering would be good one but you should do more research as well. Some research scientists get to work at labs in Japanese Univ. and companies so that field might be good one as well.

For Japanese programs in the Southern US, most of major universities offer Japanese courses so maybe you should pick a city where you want to study. Why don't you check out Univ. of Texas? I believe it has the largest population of international students in the region.

Good luck!!

Last edited by tommasi : 03-17-2008 at 06:43 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
wtd (Offline)
New to JF

03-23-2008, 12:01 PM

Emigrating to Japan will also be easier if you have experience as well as a corporate sponsor.

By this I mean, if you take a job after you graduate and do well for a couple of years, then chances are, if your company has an office in Japan you could get transfered.

This is a decent way to do it, because the onus will then be on your company to sort out visa's, documents etc as well as you knowing you'll have a job and an income when you arrive here in Japan!

All the best, stay focused if thats what you want, but definately come to visit before commiting to a long term plan of emmigrating.