JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
EngliPatrick (Offline)
New to JF

Englipedia - the ultimate ALT resource - 03-26-2008, 08:51 AM

Hey all,

Me and few hard working volunteers have spent the last year creating a website specific for junior high school, elementary school teachers and you! The website's name is called Englipedia. The site has no disturbing advertisements to distract your eyes and the entire site is free. The volunteers who are building this site want to give a little something back to Japan's English community.

The elementary school section of this site contains a Japanese translation of over 100 elementary school English games. While this might seem like an invaluable resource for people who have no Japanese language skills, the main focus of this area was to build a huge library of games BUT present it in a way for the user to easily surf through it and find what they are looking for extremely fast, so all games are in easy-to-navigate topic categories.

Did I mention that Englipedia is FREE!?!? Currently, there are 29 active volunteers from 11 countries all giving up some of our free time to help build a resource that will hopefully improve the quality of Japan's English classrooms.

The JHS section of the site is even COOLER!!! There are only 7 JHS English textbooks used in Japan's public JHS schools. Englipedia's goal is to link all of those textbooks together so everybody can submit ideas to Englipedia and see and utilize everyone's submitted ideas via surfing the English textbook you use at your individual schools. We have already linked 3 textbooks: New Crown, New Horizon and Total English. We are currently adding Sunshine. Also, there are also a handful of English warmup ideas to start off your classes.

This just touches the surface of the site! This will probably be your best resource teaching in Japan.

Enjoy!

Check it out:
Englipedia - homepage
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-29-2008, 04:37 AM

Haha, I love what you guys did to the titles of the textbook. I'm on my way out, but I will spread the gospel of Englipedia.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-29-2008, 05:07 AM

fantastic site, will certainly be making use of this. hopefully there will be something i can contribute to it in the future also ^^
(#4 (permalink))
Old
EngliPatrick (Offline)
New to JF

03-29-2008, 06:59 AM

We changed the textbook covers to sidestep copyright issues. Hopefully, we changed them enough to not worry about that issue in the future.

And Anrakushi, there are online submission forms available if you wanna submit things. Also, we have a volunteer page and ladder option. This option gives volunteers a chance to have their own volunteer page built. It gives submitters a chance to feel like they are personally a part of the project.

Thanks for the comments, peeps! I was just trying to get the word out and then I come back and find people actually posted comments. Cool!