JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
samah (Offline)
New to JF

Salary - 05-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Hi,

I'm plannig to move to tokyo very soon for an employment opportunity. However I have no clue what salary I should ask for. I'm an engineer and I have been working in IT for 3 years now. My assigment in tokyo will be either as a coordinator or a team leader. How much should I ask for?

Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-08-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samah View Post
Hi,

I'm plannig to move to tokyo very soon for an employment opportunity. However I have no clue what salary I should ask for. I'm an engineer and I have been working in IT for 3 years now. My assigment in tokyo will be either as a coordinator or a team leader. How much should I ask for?

Thanks in advance!
What are they offering?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samah (Offline)
New to JF

05-08-2008, 11:27 AM

I havent got any offer yet but I wanna be prepared when they do. I'm actually awaiting for the offer..
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-08-2008, 05:41 PM

What will the living situation be like. Do you have any more details about the job and living?

Chances are they will make an offer, not ask you to make a salary bid...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Akakage (Offline)
JF Regular

05-08-2008, 06:15 PM

For the position I'm going for (Help desk) they did ask me for my salary requirements. Personally I hate that because I'm always scared that I'll ask for too much or too little. What I did was look at other job postings for similar positions and see what they were offering, then I came up with a figure from there. They seem pleased with my requirements which was a relief. Hopefully they'll offer you a salary and good one at that!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samah (Offline)
New to JF

05-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Well they did offer me a minimum of 5.5 million/year + 50000 in allowence. However I read that the average for a leader was 9 million. I talked to my future boss and he said that it would be difficult to get but he would doublecheck cause HR decide the salary..
Should I have other conditions?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-09-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samah View Post
Well they did offer me a minimum of 5.5 million/year + 50000 in allowence. However I read that the average for a leader was 9 million. I talked to my future boss and he said that it would be difficult to get but he would doublecheck cause HR decide the salary..
Should I have other conditions?
That is a pretty nice offer. I would take it...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

05-09-2008, 08:34 AM

I don't know what the situation is in Japan, but I am assuming it is similar to the UK... In the UK, at least London anyway, what they offered you, can usually be a starting salary for an engineer in IT. If I were in your position, I would take a salary that is higher than my previous job AND make sure that there are oportunities for a pay rise within the company. ie, insentives, or targets etc etc.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
eruchan (Offline)
New to JF

salary - 05-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Based on what I can see here in Japan, if you only have 3 years of IT experience, 5.5million is an okay deal. Please keep in mind that the average salary in Japan is 3-4million yen. pushing it for 9 million is pretty much impossible from what i see right now in the market for 3 years of experience. i think if you want more, you can ask for around 6 million.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Akakage (Offline)
JF Regular

05-09-2008, 04:39 PM

5.5 million yen is good, especially with 3 years experience. As long as there is room for advancement, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Glad it worked out for ya.