JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

staying in/moving to Japan - 04-17-2008, 01:18 AM

I am looking to one day live in Japan.

But would have to just visit first right?

I apologize if there's already a thread similar to this.

I am wondering what the maximum amount of time is that a person can stay in Japan, before having to leave, and how much time I'd have to wait, til I could go back again. for starters.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-17-2008, 01:39 AM

No, you do not need to visit first. You can apply through one of the English teaching programs like JET AEON Interac ECC... and do not need to have gone to Japan prior to obtaining your work visa.

Oh visas depend on nationality. What type of citizenship do you have? I have Irish dual cit, but I travel as an American.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

04-17-2008, 01:58 AM

You can stay in Japan for 90 days on a tourist visa, and then you have to leave. If you're from the USA, you need to get a work visa to live in Japan. Getting a work visa means you must have a bachelor's degree from a 4-year university. If you are a citizen of another country, one that has a working holiday agreement with Japan, you can get a working holiday visa which will allow you to work without a degree (for a limited amount of time).

But first and foremost, I'd still highly recommend visiting Japan first. I mean, how do you know you want to live there if you've never been there? Many foreigners who come to live in Japan find out that the country isn't exactly what they expected.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#4 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
04-17-2008, 02:55 AM

I agree with Hatred, if I had 10 yen for every person who thought Japan was this amazing wonderland where nothing can ever go wrong I would be a rich man, these people who come here and realise the truth that alot of the sterio types good and bad are not all correct, for example visiting japan for a few days even would show that the Japanese don't eat sushi but a few times a month ect, I would highly rcomend a visit.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-17-2008, 03:17 AM

I was just pointing out that you don't have to. I do agree though, it's a good idea. Plenty of people don't visit before accepting a position though.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-17-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
I was just pointing out that you don't have to. I do agree though, it's a good idea. Plenty of people don't visit before accepting a position though.
Many people probably can't afford to visit before accepting the position, though.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-17-2008, 07:15 AM

Not saying otherwise. Usually one accepts such a position because they can't afford to do much of anything, and have student debt to pay off.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Not saying otherwise. Usually one accepts such a position because they can't afford to do much of anything, and have student debt to pay off.
Yeah, that too.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

04-17-2008, 08:26 PM

boy.. ok. but I am not licensed to be a teacher. And I have no way to pay for four years of college. Also, I'm 35 now, and waiting for years to be able to live there is a long time to wait, keeping that in mind.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

04-17-2008, 09:03 PM

Well if you actually want to live there for a long period of time, you may be out of luck. Your only real options now are to go to a university or else marry a Japanese citizen. Marrying will allow you to get a spousal visa to stay in Japan. Otherwise, 35 is the age limit for the working holiday visa, so I'm afraid that won't work either.

You can still experience Japan for a decent amount of time though if you stay there for 90 days - there are temporary housing options as well as hostels available.

郷に入っては郷に従え