JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#181 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-06-2008, 07:09 PM

I gotcha. Glad the school I'm at is both...it's just out of state for me. ^^;
(#182 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
08-08-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You have to give a little to get a little. I feel no sympathy for those that say "I have no marketable skills, but I don't want to 'lower myself' to teach English."
Lower yourself? I'm offended sir!

I've seriously never heard of someone having to "lower themselves" to teach English. Meh.

I agree with ya' MMM. For the longest time, I had dreamed of going to Japan with a thirst for something new and only anime as my guide to the culture. A few year later, I still have that thirst for new places, but I'm learning more and more about the culture, land, people, etc.

It's like falling in love all over again, but more realistically.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#183 (permalink))
Old
AlwaysPEPSI (Offline)
JF Regular

08-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
Lower yourself? I'm offended sir!

I've seriously never heard of someone having to "lower themselves" to teach English. Meh.
I think he just means that teaching english can be an overly simplistic and monotonous job in some cases so many would see it as a waste of time, even if it is an opportunity to get your foot in the door or at least give you time to look for other jobs.

I'm just jealous that MMM has a fan who is starting to chase him around-
(#184 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
08-08-2008, 09:47 PM

Oh I know. I'm just joking around a bit since I want to teach English as a career.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#185 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

08-08-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
Oh I know. I'm just joking around a bit since I want to teach English as a career.
You want to teach English as a career?

I think teaching English job in Japan is quite different from what you are imagining.

It's just a conversational partner kind of a job not so much like ESL...
(#186 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-11-2008, 12:00 AM

We have had several posters here that want to "do anything but teach English to live in Japan".

The vast vast majority of English speakers living in Japan teach English. There are all kinds of situations, from public school teaching to private corporate cram school teaching to small private school teaching to tutoring.

Every situation is different, and it is probably the easiest and most obvious way to start a life in Japan.

I did not mean it is an overly simplistic or monotonous job. I really enjoyed my three years of doing it, as I made my own lessons and was mostly able to teach what I thought the kids might be interested in.

"Lowering youself" is not my term, but the term some people who think they are too good to teach English use.
(#187 (permalink))
Old
Cheers (Offline)
New to JF

08-16-2008, 11:58 PM

Sorry for my late reply on this, but I have been on vacation and no internet access. (heaven knows how I found such a place in an industrial country...XD"")

I agree with you in so far that people with a degree can work in Japan then if they don´t speak the language, but, maybe it´s just romantic- thinking me, wouldn´t you like to actually be a part of the possee? And isn´t being part of the community the interesting part about moving to another country? And that you surely can´t manage without being able to speak the language.

If you don´t know the language people won´t be able to get to know you, because you can hardly show your character. I mean, when you´re a funny smart guy nobody would know, because you couldn´t make any jokes or witty comments.

And if you know about the language and culture why couldn´t you work as a waiter (for example)?? Do the Japanese think: "Ew, a foreigner! He can´t do that!" I could just see where it would be kind of hard to get a visa though...
(#188 (permalink))
Old
AlwaysPEPSI (Offline)
JF Regular

08-18-2008, 06:54 AM

I've got an interesting situation...
This may end up being something that can only be answered by each individual company, but I was wondering...

I will be doing my final year of school in Japan and the school year ends in late May. I would like to teach english for a couple of years before I head back and I was thinking of interviewing for potential jobs starting around December. Will it create issues that I won't have my Bachelor's until after May? The school I am going to said that even though my student visa is valid for a long time (Starting Aug 01 2008 valid for 1 year stay at a time) they said it is probably best to only stay a month after school ends.

Let's say I get hired by a company that knows I will be graduating. I am guessing that they will only start processing my working visa once they have seen my transcript from my school saying I have graduated and my degree, correct? Yet, it could take a couple/few weeks to get this transcript since I will first have to give my school the transcript from the Japanese University before they will acknowledge that I have gained the sufficient requirements and credits. And then the visa process can take a month or two to finish.

So, it seems like I may be running into issues here. I will ask the school I will be going to about this, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on what I may experience or ideas to make things more likely to work out more efficiently.
(#189 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysPEPSI View Post
I've got an interesting situation...
It can't hurt to interview, if you're in the country. Just be up front about your situation and ask questions.

Alternatively, you'll get your transcripts in June presumably, so you'll have plenty of time to line up a job for September.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#190 (permalink))
Old
taintus (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2008, 08:42 AM

Having a degree is really the way to go. The Japanese government (and society in general, for the most part) are not keen on having people in country that aren't here for specific purposes. That said, there's great support for undertaking studies in Japan as well. I don't think you'd want to live in Japan without a degree anyway. . .what kind of job would you do?

Check out my blog about life in rural Japan, another good alternative--they need English teachers too and the rent is MUCH cheaper.