JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#581 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Understandbly, students want teachers from countries where English is the native language.

The reality that a Norwegian's English might be better than someone from a country where English is the native language is a hurdle that may be difficult to clear without an inside connection.
(#582 (permalink))
Old
Norwegian86 (Offline)
New to JF

04-21-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Understandbly, students want teachers from countries where English is the native language.

The reality that a Norwegian's English might be better than someone from a country where English is the native language is a hurdle that may be difficult to clear without an inside connection.
I see you point, but that dosent mean that I'm a bad english teacher when I get my degree? I dont know how it works in other countries, but in Norway we learn english (it's almost just as important as norwegian) from the first day we set foot in school until the very end. So I'm fluid. (Mabye some grammar errors) And just because you are a native speaker, dosent make you a great english teacher. Does it? Dont misunderstand me, im not being disrespectful, I just love a great discussion

Last edited by Norwegian86 : 04-21-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
(#583 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian86 View Post
I see you point, but that dosent mean that I'm a bad english teacher when I get my degree? I dont know how it works in other countries, but in Norway we learn english (it's almost just as important as norwegian) from the first day we set foot in school until the very end. So I'm fluid. (Mabye some grammar errors) And just because you are a native speaker, dosent make you a great english teacher. Does it? Dont misunderstand me, im not being disrespectful, I just love a great discussion
No, you are 100% right (well, almost 100%...you mean "fluent" not "fluid") but like anywhere else, perception is reality. If you are perceived as a non-native speaker then the chances of you getting hired as an English teacher is diminished because there is no shortage of native speakers wanting to go to Japan and do the same thing.

Think if a student studied under you and made a mistake or did poorly on a test. Immediately the thought will be "What if I made this mistake because my teacher taught me wrong because she didn't know better?" That's a real possibility.
(#584 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-21-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
I also think that you are right - in theory.

However, English schools in Japan look for, hire, and advertise that they employ native English speakers. This is the industry wide standard. The appeal comes down to "with a real live native English speaker" - not their quality of teaching.

Even if you are an amazing and wonderful teacher, with perfect or virtually perfect English - you will never be considered a "native speaker" by the Japanese employers or the students. It would even be false advertising for a school to employ you as a teacher if they advertise "native speakers".

You could get lucky and find somewhere that is willing to look past this, but the chances are quite low.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#585 (permalink))
Old
Norwegian86 (Offline)
New to JF

04-21-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
No, you are 100% right (well, almost 100%...you mean "fluent" not "fluid") but like anywhere else, perception is reality. If you are perceived as a non-native speaker then the chances of you getting hired as an English teacher is diminished because there is no shortage of native speakers wanting to go to Japan and do the same thing.

Think if a student studied under you and made a mistake or did poorly on a test. Immediately the thought will be "What if I made this mistake because my teacher taught me wrong because she didn't know better?" That's a real possibility.
Hehe, "fluid"... Now i feel stupid.. lol Of course, you're right My chances are much lower. Maybe China see things differently? Diddent they just recently strated focusing much more on leraning english, and maybe they would hire anyone? Anyways, I've got nothing to loose by checking things out You only loose by giving up!
(#586 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Hehe, "fluid"... Now i feel stupid.. lol Of course, you're right My chances are much lower. Maybe China see things differently? Diddent they just recently strated focusing much more on leraning english, and maybe they would hire anyone? Anyways, I've got nothing to loose by checking things out You only loose by giving up!
Hmm, I don't know about that. The last I check, China is pretty tight with who they hired as an english teacher. For the most part, English education in China (Where its savailable) are far more advance than Japan, people there can write fairly well, they have need for teachers that can teach them proper pronounciation (US) as the accent is still a major issue for them....
(#587 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Actually there are more and more people who are not from the main English-speaking countries teaching here these days, but they are often on spouse visas, dependent visas or student visas.

The issue you will face if you want to teach English is not so much being hired (although that would also be tough), it is the working visa. If you are not from one if the countries which has English as its main language, for Immigration to give you a visa allowing you to work as an English teacher, you must be able to prove that you have had 12 years of schooling in English (not just English classes, the language you were taught all/most subjects in should be English). If not, then no visa, and they are apparently very strict about this.

To tell you the truth though, if you are at that point a qualified, experienced teacher, your skills would be wasted on the usual teaching jobs here, which are basically unskilled. What you could do is apply to teach in internationals schools, where you would be a proper independent classroom teacher and be paid accordingly. You would have to focus on an area other than English obviously as many of your students would be native speakers. Maths, science, social studies for example.
(#588 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
I am talking about your standard eikaiwa or ALT job in Japan- there is only so far you can take them. I worked in eikaiwa for 6 years myself, but never considered it a career! I did not mean to offend you or anyone else who is a genuine teacher, which I and many other eikaiwa teachers/ALTs are not because we have zero real training and qualifications. If you consider it your career I am sure you have made the effort to develop your skills and ensure English teaching actually became your career, but the vast majority of people who come here to teach don't, and return to their home countries in less than 2 years.
Which is precisely the issue with English education in Japan, as is discussed in another thread. The angry diatribe wasn't directed at you, and was explained elsewhere. In lieu of repeating myself, I opted to instead just make an [insert here] joke.

I sure as hell better not have paid $70K in university tuition not to have a career as an English teacher, which is what I went to school for. I also make more money than I would in the states right now, largely because of hiring freezes and budget shortfalls. It was my original intent to teach high school literature courses. Japan offered more money. Period.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org

Last edited by Tsuwabuki : 04-21-2010 at 01:59 PM.
(#589 (permalink))
Old
Teresa (Offline)
New to JF

Jobs for fresh grads in Japan - 05-14-2010, 09:50 AM

So what jobs are open to fresh grads (foreigners) in Japan? Other than ESL, that is.

Meet travel friends and explore the world with WorldFriends -- the International community where you can find new friends who love travel.
(#590 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
This has probably been asked before... maybe even by me, I cant remember.

Soooo.. What's to stop people saying that they have graduated from College.. when they didn't? Saying you could speak Japanese.. but hadn't graduated from "College" what job's are actually going to make a confirmation call to the country you're from to make sure?
Your employer won't be calling. It'll be the Japanese government (MOFA?) which will be calling to verify.

Perhaps someone can verify but don't they ask you for your original diploma and transcript as well?

Either way, I wouldn't risk it.