JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#671 (permalink))
Old
Muchujapan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Muchujapan Send a message via Yahoo to Muchujapan Send a message via Skype™ to Muchujapan
07-25-2011, 02:43 AM

so i have a question for you wingstodiscovery about tuj?
(#672 (permalink))
Old
ComeonUPStaffE (Offline)
New to JF

Post Good! - 12-23-2011, 05:49 AM

One must not degrade 'English teaching' and it's good you said that it is already a marketable skill!

Thanks for this! I'm one who's enjoying Japan especially to experience the concept of share house like Come On Up Houses.

Twitter: @ComeonUPstaffE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It is an unfortunate fact in life, but people that can't graduate from college don't get to be international businessmen.

How many "I didn't go to college, and I don't want to teach English, so how can I live comfortably in Japan?" threads have we seen?

You have to give a little to get a little. I feel no sympathy for those that say "I have no marketable skills, but I don't want to 'lower myself' to teach English."

Guess what. You have one marketable skill. What do you think all the foreigners in Japan are doing?

I thought everyone would jump on me for this thread...I am pleasantly surprised by the positive responses.
(#673 (permalink))
Old
Nikkei (Offline)
Banned

01-06-2012, 10:37 PM

I would have to disagree with the original poster MMM.

The world is now more competetive than ever before and an education barely distinguishes oneself from the thousands of job seekers out there. If an individual has the desire to live in Japan, regardless of education status, that individual may do so. Granted it will take unwavering confidence and an amazing ammount of sacrifice to follow through to accomplish these goals. Understandably the basic concern many people have is simply survival, IE: MONEY !!! Find ways to earn money and establish yourself and you can live ANYWHERE in the world.

Think outside the box and offer a product or service to the world. Then SELL SELL SELL.

As an inspiration, I will now link to an article that explains in painstaking detail the work required to pull it off. I hope you guys find this story as inspirational as I did.

How Discovering Japan Changed My Life
(#674 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkei View Post
I would have to disagree with the original poster MMM.

The world is now more competetive than ever before and an education barely distinguishes oneself from the thousands of job seekers out there. If an individual has the desire to live in Japan, regardless of education status, that individual may do so. Granted it will take unwavering confidence and an amazing ammount of sacrifice to follow through to accomplish these goals. Understandably the basic concern many people have is simply survival, IE: MONEY !!! Find ways to earn money and establish yourself and you can live ANYWHERE in the world.

Think outside the box and offer a product or service to the world. Then SELL SELL SELL.

As an inspiration, I will now link to an article that explains in painstaking detail the work required to pull it off. I hope you guys find this story as inspirational as I did.

How Discovering Japan Changed My Life
That may be the case now, but not when the thread was originally started (I'm assuming). This thread was started in May of 2008...and I'm finally back everyone on the board. Been over a year. ^^;
(#675 (permalink))
Old
XxLucaxX (Offline)
New to JF

01-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

I thought everyone would jump on me for this thread...I am pleasantly surprised by the positive responses.

This was needed. Yes I'm new here but I am looking into possibly teaching English in Japan. But before I go crazy over the idea of it I want to know things I want to know what I NEED TO DO what I NEED to survive before I even think about going. (Because it is soooo easy to dream and get wrapped up...we're only human after all!)

I've seen so many sites that say you don't need a degree in teaching to do this job. My common sense says other wise. But then I've seen other sites that say programs like Aeon and Jet won't hire over 35 (By the time I get what is required -teaching degree- as well as some business education, I'll almost be to that age) I'm not certain what to believe what not to believe and I've been looking for people who are teaching in Japan who KNOW what it's really like who know the ropes.

So thanks MMM.
(#676 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-13-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLucaxX View Post
This was needed. Yes I'm new here but I am looking into possibly teaching English in Japan. But before I go crazy over the idea of it I want to know things I want to know what I NEED TO DO what I NEED to survive before I even think about going. (Because it is soooo easy to dream and get wrapped up...we're only human after all!)
In all honesty, I didn't really have any problems at all. I didn't get "wrapped up" in anything, and I guess it was due to the fact that I wasn't in Tokyo. I'm one of those whose never had a desire to live/reside in Tokyo. I've always been drawn to northern Japan, so Yamagata was perfect for me. I really do miss the place.
Quote:
I've seen so many sites that say you don't need a degree in teaching to do this job. My common sense says other wise.
That really just depends on the job. The degree is just a precaution for the person to obtain a work visa. You need a degree for that. It also depends on the job too. Some companies just want a foreigner to entertain the students. ALTs don't really teach much of anything, as that's the job of the JTE. Some are utilized as a human tape recorder. Some have JTEs who don't know how to use their ALTs at all. ESID (Every Situation Is Different) is a phrase to learn if going over there for the sake of being an ALT. Some have good experiences, some have bad. Some are utilized properly (meaning they help with planning and actual team teaching) and then there are some who stand around and only say something or do something when it's permitted. I had a combination. I worked at a junior high school. I had more of an opportunity to do the former with the first-year classes as opposed to the second and third year classes. I also liked it when I had to go to the elementary school nearby as I had a lot of control over what I did over there.

Now if you want to be an actual teacher, then yes, the type of degree you have would matter, just like it would in your home country.
Quote:
But then I've seen other sites that say programs like Aeon and Jet won't hire over 35 (By the time I get what is required -teaching degree- as well as some business education, I'll almost be to that age) I'm not certain what to believe what not to believe and I've been looking for people who are teaching in Japan who KNOW what it's really like who know the ropes.
It's not that they won't hire over the age of 35, it's just less likely. I know for JET the cutoff age is 40 now (it used to be 35 to my knowledge, years ago). I'm under the impression that in a general sense, not many people over that age actually apply for assistant teaching jobs, but I do know of older assistant teachers who are over the age of 35. Also, it depends on the what the Board of Education wants and what said school wants. Like, the place I was originally supposed to have gone to wanted a female teacher (no other pref, just female) so it can be assumed that the school in question had trouble with male ALTs. Who knows, so yeah, that gets taken into account too.

You'd probably find more teachers of English over that age as opposed to assistant language teachers.
(#677 (permalink))
Old
XxLucaxX (Offline)
New to JF

01-14-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
In all honesty, I didn't really have any problems at all. I didn't get "wrapped up" in anything, and I guess it was due to the fact that I wasn't in Tokyo. I'm one of those whose never had a desire to live/reside in Tokyo. I've always been drawn to northern Japan, so Yamagata was perfect for me. I really do miss the place. That really just depends on the job. The degree is just a precaution for the person to obtain a work visa. You need a degree for that. It also depends on the job too. Some companies just want a foreigner to entertain the students. ALTs don't really teach much of anything, as that's the job of the JTE. Some are utilized as a human tape recorder. Some have JTEs who don't know how to use their ALTs at all. ESID (Every Situation Is Different) is a phrase to learn if going over there for the sake of being an ALT. Some have good experiences, some have bad. Some are utilized properly (meaning they help with planning and actual team teaching) and then there are some who stand around and only say something or do something when it's permitted. I had a combination. I worked at a junior high school. I had more of an opportunity to do the former with the first-year classes as opposed to the second and third year classes. I also liked it when I had to go to the elementary school nearby as I had a lot of control over what I did over there.

Now if you want to be an actual teacher, then yes, the type of degree you have would matter, just like it would in your home country.
It's not that they won't hire over the age of 35, it's just less likely. I know for JET the cutoff age is 40 now (it used to be 35 to my knowledge, years ago). I'm under the impression that in a general sense, not many people over that age actually apply for assistant teaching jobs, but I do know of older assistant teachers who are over the age of 35. Also, it depends on the what the Board of Education wants and what said school wants. Like, the place I was originally supposed to have gone to wanted a female teacher (no other pref, just female) so it can be assumed that the school in question had trouble with male ALTs. Who knows, so yeah, that gets taken into account too.

You'd probably find more teachers of English over that age as opposed to assistant language teachers.

Thank you for clearing a few things up for me! I know every situation is different so that's why I try to take things with a grain of salt. I'm learning more and more. I had heard of NOVA and JET I was looking into things one said something and the other said different. So I was a bit confused.
I also do not wish to teach in Tokyo. Maybe near it so I can experience it on a tourist trip or two and maybe if I feel comfortable enough I may give it a try. But I like smaller area's. Not necessarily the sticks but somewhere that is a comfortable middle.
I am curios to know. The ALT's are only supposed to teach English correct? Or are they there through out the day applying English to everything? I was reading a blog/journal and the woman mentioned that she had annoyed/angered the teacher and he had her go work with two children with special needs-which she had no experience- in a completely different topic. I'm glad you replied Even if it was just to correct my misinformation!
(#678 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

01-14-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLucaxX View Post
Thank you for clearing a few things up for me!
No problem. Glad to help, even if it's just a little.
Quote:
I know every situation is different so that's why I try to take things with a grain of salt. I'm learning more and more. I had heard of NOVA and JET I was looking into things one said something and the other said different. So I was a bit confused.
What else did you hear about NOVA and JET? As far as I know about NOVA, it went bankrupt or something. Could be wrong, though.
Quote:
I also do not wish to teach in Tokyo.
That's pretty cool to hear. Seems everyone usually wants to head straight to Tokyo. You're flexible, so that's always a good thing and employers would probably like that, but with most places or jobs you apply for with places like JET, for example, you don't have much of a choice as to where you're placed. It's taken into consideration, though, but there's no guarantee you'll actually get it.
Quote:
Maybe near it so I can experience it on a tourist trip or two and maybe if I feel comfortable enough I may give it a try.
I know it may sound surprising, but I never once visited Tokyo while living over there. I had planned to go eventually, but never did. The only time I was in Tokyo was when I had to go to Narita and even after I got to Japan and was in Mito before going up to Yamagata, I never took a day trip to Tokyo because I was too chicken to go since I wasn't sure about prices yet and didn't want to spend any extra cash. lol
Quote:
But I like smaller area's. Not necessarily the sticks but somewhere that is a comfortable middle.
Yamagata actually reminded me of home in some ways. It did feel like the "middle" and most people had to drive in the area. I walked everyplace, though since I didn't own a car (even though I had obtained an int'l driver's license before heading over through AAA). If I really did want to go to Tokyo though, I could've just hopped on the Shinkansen down there.
Quote:
I am curios to know. The ALT's are only supposed to teach English correct?
If you can call it that, but just so you know, legally the ALT, at no point, is supposed to teach a class by oneself (meaning the JTE should be in the room with you). The JTEs do all of the real teaching and sometimes you can assist him/her with the lessons and implementing it. It all depends on the teacher you're working with and how that teacher uses you, as they may actually "team-teach" with you, which you'll probably learn all about once you start studying for your degree (or finishing up?). Sometimes the ALT can be responsible for making up/writing up tests or coming up with activities to improve certain areas. Sometimes the ALT may have to grade the students on their actual speaking abilities and in most cases (to my knowledge) the ALT usually has to assist students chosen for the English Speech contests. I felt really bad with that one. I was given wrong information so the speech used for my first year was too long and the one for my second year was too short. The third year student did okay, but who knows what the judges were truly looking for. Sucks that neither one of them won.
Quote:
Or are they there through out the day applying English to everything?
I think that depends on where you are or the school itself. I know that some teachers prefer you to use English for pretty much everything as a way to have the students improve their English. I used Japanese outside of the classroom, unless they tried to speak actual English with me. With the ES, I stuck to mostly Japanese.
Quote:
I was reading a blog/journal and the woman mentioned that she had annoyed/angered the teacher and he had her go work with two children with special needs-which she had no experience- in a completely different topic.
Sounds like that should've been addressed or something. I'm pretty sure that's against a lot of rules.
Quote:
I'm glad you replied Even if it was just to correct my misinformation!
No prob. Glad to help, and if you have any other questions, just ask. But, most people are starting to migrate over to the other board because of all of the spambots. I just recently returned to Japan Forum after about a year, so I was surprised to see how this site had turned out.

Japanologic Forums • Index page

That's the newer site, and you can always ask questions there too.
(#679 (permalink))
Old
XxLucaxX (Offline)
New to JF

01-14-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
No problem. Glad to help, even if it's just a little. What else did you hear about NOVA and JET? As far as I know about NOVA, it went bankrupt or something. Could be wrong, though. That's pretty cool to hear. Seems everyone usually wants to head straight to Tokyo. You're flexible, so that's always a good thing and employers would probably like that, but with most places or jobs you apply for with places like JET, for example, you don't have much of a choice as to where you're placed. It's taken into consideration, though, but there's no guarantee you'll actually get it. I know it may sound surprising, but I never once visited Tokyo while living over there. I had planned to go eventually, but never did. The only time I was in Tokyo was when I had to go to Narita and even after I got to Japan and was in Mito before going up to Yamagata, I never took a day trip to Tokyo because I was too chicken to go since I wasn't sure about prices yet and didn't want to spend any extra cash. lol[/size][/font] Yamagata actually reminded me of home in some ways. It did feel like the "middle" and most people had to drive in the area. I walked everyplace, though since I didn't own a car (even though I had obtained an int'l driver's license before heading over through AAA). If I really did want to go to Tokyo though, I could've just hopped on the Shinkansen down there. If you can call it that, but just so you know, legally the ALT, at no point, is supposed to teach a class by oneself (meaning the JTE should be in the room with you). The JTEs do all of the real teaching and sometimes you can assist him/her with the lessons and implementing it. It all depends on the teacher you're working with and how that teacher uses you, as they may actually "team-teach" with you, which you'll probably learn all about once you start studying for your degree (or finishing up?). Sometimes the ALT can be responsible for making up/writing up tests or coming up with activities to improve certain areas. Sometimes the ALT may have to grade the students on their actual speaking abilities and in most cases (to my knowledge) the ALT usually has to assist students chosen for the English Speech contests. I felt really bad with that one. I was given wrong information so the speech used for my first year was too long and the one for my second year was too short. The third year student did okay, but who knows what the judges were truly looking for. Sucks that neither one of them won. I think that depends on where you are or the school itself. I know that some teachers prefer you to use English for pretty much everything as a way to have the students improve their English. I used Japanese outside of the classroom, unless they tried to speak actual English with me. With the ES, I stuck to mostly Japanese. Sounds like that should've been addressed or something. I'm pretty sure that's against a lot of rules.No prob. Glad to help, and if you have any other questions, just ask. But, most people are starting to migrate over to the other board because of all of the spambots. I just recently returned to Japan Forum after about a year, so I was surprised to see how this site had turned out.

Japanologic Forums • Index page

That's the newer site, and you can always ask questions there too.

Well I keep hearing that JET is simply the best one to go with. Every once in a while I will see Aeon pop up in that category as well. Nova I keep hearing basically hires with out degrees and is an easy ticket. I haven't heard anything about bankruptcy or any of that.

I'm from a small country town. I think it's only logical to start in a smaller area because big cities can swallow you whole. I've heard it often too about Tokyo. Don't get me wrong it's probably really cool...but until I make the big adjustments and such it's a no go. Besides Japan isn't just Tokyo...it's vast and beautiful...well from pictures

Flexibility I have learned is a good thing when it comes to working, especially here in the states as I'm sure you know. Besides I don't know Japan so I wouldn't know where to go...Okinawa sounds amazing...I like warm weather. But one doesn't always get what one wants.

It only sounds a little surprising to me that you didn't go to Tokyo. But not too much. Touring Japan is probably easier then touring the US since it is such a small country. Though you were probably busy. But Tokyo isn't the only thing to see!

I would probably hope for a town like Yamagata. Small enough to walk (which I have done A LOT of until recent...and somewhat enjoy) but large enough to if you need something you don't have to drive an hour to get it. You know what I mean?

When I was first thinking about this (have been for the past couple of years on and off ending up telling myself I was crazy) I was thinking it was something like I would be actually teaching a class but the more I've looked into it I've learned about being an assistant teacher as well as various other jobs. I think ALT might suit me best. But it is something I want to look into more. It does sound like what I believe my capabilities to be (even though I have never technically taught a class I haven't even started my degree...but I have helped teach various other little things)
Were you given the wrong information on purpose? (For some reason I can imagine a JTE being cunning enough to do so)

I have heard the smaller the school the more lee-way you have but at the same time the more on-top of your game you have to be. Which I think is better suited for my personality. But being from the part of the country I am...I fear my English needs A LOT of work. But when people speak to me they tell me that my English is fine. Granted they are from the same neck of the woods. lol. But I am glad to know that it is somewhat like a total immersion (verbally) for them. I hear you learn better that way!

I am headed over to Japanologic i just got here but I will make my account this evening! Thanks again!

Also this is completely off topic...but the Onsens...or is it public bath..any way are they off limits to people with Tattoos?
(#680 (permalink))
Old
Nikkei (Offline)
Banned

01-14-2012, 05:23 PM

Whats your guys understanding of the job market for english teachers in 2012 ? I know the Japanese are having less and less children and in some cities schools are closing down. Are you guys noticing it is more difficult given the tough economic times or are students more focused than ever on learning english to broaden their horizons internationally ?

WWW.JAPANONOMICS.COM || Understanding the worlds most interesting economy