LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-08-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakage View Post
I agree (You weren't expecting that from me ). Whether you go to college or a trade school, you need to be marketable. As Napoleon Dynamite says "Chicks dig guys with skills". I was wondering if the moderator would be able to make this one a sticky. It could serve as a source of good information...maybe rename it to "What must a person do in order to realistically live in Japan" or something like that. We could compile all the information on exchange programs for schools, what would be the best subject to major in while in college if one wants to go to Japan. If college is not an option, what skills or trades are in demand in Japan, how much experience is needed for those trades, etc. Just an idea.

A question about degrees, does anyone know Japan's policy on distance degrees? I know Taiwan doesn't see them as valid. Is Japan the same? If Japan accepts them I think that would be a great alternative to those who cannot enroll in a college full time but still want a degree to go Japan.
Is that like correspondence school? My initial feeling would be "not too highly" but that is probably true in the US, as well.

Having worked for Japanese employers on hiring teams, the first thing the Japanese boss asks about an applicant is "What's his degree?" (Rarely "What's his major?") and the second is "Where did he go to school?"

90% of the boss's decision to hire or not is based on these two questions.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Lolx5 (Offline)
JF Regular

05-08-2008, 07:10 PM

Well put. Helpful.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-08-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakage View Post
A question about degrees, does anyone know Japan's policy on distance degrees? I know Taiwan doesn't see them as valid. Is Japan the same? If Japan accepts them I think that would be a great alternative to those who cannot enroll in a college full time but still want a degree to go Japan.
Are you talking about online universities?

Like UOP and Devry?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommasi View Post
Are you talking about online universities?

Like UOP and Devry?
Probably. I was wondering the same thing. I went to a Community College years ago, but I'm finishing up my degree online at a four-year university (Ashford University), but since I can't attend full-time offline and work a full-time job, I'm doing their online program.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-08-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Probably. I was wondering the same thing. I went to a Community College years ago, but I'm finishing up my degree online at a four-year university (Ashford University), but since I can't attend full-time offline and work a full-time job, I'm doing their online program.
A degree is a degree, and the fact that you will be able to answer "yes" to the question "Did you graduate from a 4-year-university" is going to keep 95% of the doors from slamming in your face. I wouldn't rush to say you earned your degree online, though.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
DivineBled (Offline)
Bloody St Elegance

Send a message via Yahoo to DivineBled
05-08-2008, 11:22 PM

As the others have said, well put MMM-san. I couldn't say it any better.

To listen to D'Narco Revolution:

http://www.myspace.com/dnarcorevolution

To join D'Narco Revolution's fan-club:

http://www.myspace.com/heavenlyhellrenegade

Countdown until D'Narco Revolution 2CD Release:2 months

Countdown to tour: 5 months starting in NY.

Currently: Hanging out with the guys. Working on 2 Additional CD's and 4 Pv's. Packing for Tokyo, leaving for Tokyo Nov. 11,2008
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-08-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Having worked for Japanese employers on hiring teams, the first thing the Japanese boss asks about an applicant is "What's his degree?" (Rarely "What's his major?") and the second is "Where did he go to school?"

90% of the boss's decision to hire or not is based on these two questions.
Japanese employers don`t really care about correspondence schools - as long as the school is accredited it is valid. If it`s one of those "Receive a degree overnight based on real life experiences!" scams, then no - it will never be valid anywhere in the world.

If you`re going to be teaching English, they don`t really care WHERE you got your degree either, as long as you have one. It`s more for visa purposes than any real educational expectations. I have a feeling that if most of the big name English schools could get away with it, they`d hire those without degrees so they could pay them less.

I literally had 6 schools jumping to hire me as soon as I had a valid visa - which was before I had my degree. The thing is, I was married so had that valid visa - not really something anyone can do.

If you`re going to be teaching English, the only cases where employers care where you got your degree is if you were in an especially important position (which is pretty much...never?), or if you received your degree in Japan. (Or, obviously, if you`re Japanese.) Even then, a degree is a degree in most cases.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-08-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Japanese employers don`t really care about correspondence schools - as long as the school is accredited it is valid. If it`s one of those "Receive a degree overnight based on real life experiences!" scams, then no - it will never be valid anywhere in the world.

If you`re going to be teaching English, they don`t really care WHERE you got your degree either, as long as you have one. It`s more for visa purposes than any real educational expectations. I have a feeling that if most of the big name English schools could get away with it, they`d hire those without degrees so they could pay them less.

I literally had 6 schools jumping to hire me as soon as I had a valid visa - which was before I had my degree. The thing is, I was married so had that valid visa - not really something anyone can do.

If you`re going to be teaching English, the only cases where employers care where you got your degree is if you were in an especially important position (which is pretty much...never?), or if you received your degree in Japan. (Or, obviously, if you`re Japanese.) Even then, a degree is a degree in most cases.
Absolutely correct, as always. The employers I worked on hiring committees for were a bank and a translation company. For English teaching, as long as the degree is legit, WHERE you graduate from becomes less important...just as long as you graduated, and are visa-worthy in the eyes of the government.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Well said MMM. Seems the majority of people wanting to live/work/whatever in Japan only know what they want to know.

To move to any country requires research. Know what you're getting into and want to accomplish. A dream is nice, but that's all itll ever be if that's all who want it cares to see.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

05-09-2008, 01:58 AM

the main reason i want to live in japan is that im in love with the culture and the people. and plus whats the use of living in the united states? they say we are free but we are no where near being free. so i dont see any reason to stay here. i hate were i live and probably always will hate it. and i know that im going to go to japan no matter what. and also you dont have to graduate from college to go and live in japan.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come

Last edited by Kenpachi11 : 05-09-2008 at 02:00 AM.