LinkBack Thread Tools
(#211 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-14-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafreak View Post
I completely agree 110%! Japan is an expensive place to live, and working at a fast food restaurant just wont cut it.
actually lots of japanese will opt to get a part-time job rather than 9-5 job and they do get more than enough salary to support their lifestyle, and they get to choose their own time..

unfortunately, i rarely see foreigners working in this establishment, and the main reason is the language

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#212 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-14-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanis View Post
sry if this question is mentioned befor but i don´t have the time to read the whole thread
Should I also study first in germany with all the fincancial support I get (it´s a credit I don´t have to pay back fully^^) and move to japan afterwards, or should I move befor it to japan to study there? (i don´t know what college in the usa would be in germany so xD) Cause it´s somehow easier to find friends in school I think and it´s not really funny to sit in japan somehow alone^^
this probably have been repeated here thousand of times , but don't you think you should first try and see what kind of a country you are trying to move into?

if you are still a student, there are "exchange programs" that you could join for a specific amount time, not necessarily move in, just to get a taste of the life here.

just take a look at "Nyororin's thread" and get some tips from there on to do it...

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#213 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-14-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX View Post
The fact that society takes more importance in a piece of paper rather than actual work skills irritates me.

Eventually there's gonna have to be a reform on that. Paper can say only so much, and sometimes the diploma just might be faked. Phony. So what if you came upon the decision of hiring a guy with a grand college diploma.

More on that, he has very little skill in the medical field. Then, you have a guy who's really studied up on his med training and all that, but hasn't gone to college.

Based on what you've said, the guy with the diploma will be hired, and the guy with actual skill will be rejected. That's risking people's lives.

All of this diploma and college crap is overrated. WAY overrated. I think it's more important to actually test people on what they can do, not just give them the job based on what a diploma says.

I'm not flaming. Just venting on how everyone emphasizes on college and diplomas too much instead of actually going for people with skills. I'm not saying that all people with diplomas are faking it, having no skills: some do, but not all, I know.
For someone with writer's block you seem to have been pretty busy today.

The importance is not the piece of paper, but what the paper represents. I have never had to show my diploma when applying for a job, but it isn't uncommon for employers to contact Universities to confirm graduation. It isn't likely a faker would make it through.

That being said, I understand your point. Just like graduating from college, graduating from high school is a rite of passage that opens doors for your future.

It's like saying "having a driver's license is over-rated." No one is making you do it, I am just saying your opportunities increase 10-fold, 100-fold, 1000-fold if you have it.

You don't have to like my first post, but it is the truth. If you want to live and work in Japan, the easiest door-opener is going to be a college degree. I wouldn't expect a reform on this any time soon.
(#214 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-14-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
actually lots of japanese will opt to get a part-time job rather than 9-5 job and they do get more than enough salary to support their lifestyle, and they get to choose their own time..

unfortunately, i rarely see foreigners working in this establishment, and the main reason is the language
That's if their lifestyle is convenience store bentos and rarely setting foot outside.

If their part-time job is working as a hostess in snack bar, maybe she can live on a part-time job, but your typical fast food worker lives at home and lives a hardly lavish lifestyle.

And why would a fast-food restaurant hire a foreigner. The legal red-tape HARDLY makes it worth it.
(#215 (permalink))
Old
sasuke91 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-14-2008, 03:35 AM

im not doing college, but im doing a 4 yr apprenticeship, (trade) to be a qualified renderer.

but i guess that wouldnt be enough to get a job in japan?

(#216 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-14-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke91 View Post
im not doing college, but im doing a 4 yr apprenticeship, (trade) to be a qualified renderer.

but i guess that wouldnt be enough to get a job in japan?
Without a degree you need either 5 or 10 years hard experience in the field you are entering to get a foot in the door.
(#217 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

10-14-2008, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
For someone with writer's block you seem to have been pretty busy today.

The importance is not the piece of paper, but what the paper represents. I have never had to show my diploma when applying for a job, but it isn't uncommon for employers to contact Universities to confirm graduation. It isn't likely a faker would make it through.

That being said, I understand your point. Just like graduating from college, graduating from high school is a rite of passage that opens doors for your future.

It's like saying "having a driver's license is over-rated." No one is making you do it, I am just saying your opportunities increase 10-fold, 100-fold, 1000-fold if you have it.

You don't have to like my first post, but it is the truth. If you want to live and work in Japan, the easiest door-opener is going to be a college degree. I wouldn't expect a reform on this any time soon.
This is what I usually do when I'm have writer's block. I just surf the net and talk to people. Listen to music.

But still, this is bull. What if you're homeschooled or something? What if you just learn more at home or some other place outside of school? What then?

There's some things society needs to change for, mainly this "Oh, you've gone to Harvard. Welcome to the business" crap. What if somebody cheats all through college and it isn't noticed?

I can probably keep going on with this all day.

(#218 (permalink))
Old
sasuke91 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-14-2008, 03:46 AM

hmm i see.

here in aus, we also have TAFE

if i complete a tafe course aswell, would that help?
the more skills you have, the better chance on getting hired?

(#219 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-14-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX View Post
This is what I usually do when I'm have writer's block. I just surf the net and talk to people. Listen to music.

But still, this is bull. What if you're homeschooled or something? What if you just learn more at home or some other place outside of school? What then?

There's some things society needs to change for, mainly this "Oh, you've gone to Harvard. Welcome to the business" crap. What if somebody cheats all through college and it isn't noticed?

I can probably keep going on with this all day.
Homeschooled people go to college all the time.

I am going to take a wild guess and assume you have never been enrolled in college. No one "cheats all through and isn't noticed". You have to major in something and focus on something. There is no way to cheat your way to graduation...at least no way that is easier than actually just studying.

Graduating college proves you can accomplish something. Yes, graduating from Harvard opens up many doors. But the reason is graduating from Harvard is pretty hard. It is silly to think you could cheat your way through college then last more than a month in a real job.
(#220 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

10-14-2008, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Homeschooled people go to college all the time.

I am going to take a wild guess and assume you have never been enrolled in college. No one "cheats all through and isn't noticed". You have to major in something and focus on something. There is no way to cheat your way to graduation...at least no way that is easier than actually just studying.

Graduating college proves you can accomplish something. Yes, graduating from Harvard opens up many doors. But the reason is graduating from Harvard is pretty hard. It is silly to think you could cheat your way through college then last more than a month in a real job.
I'm a sophomore. I'm fifteen years old, so of course not.

Yeah, but you can simply find someone who's taking the same courses as you, and "study" with them. Then, you can just get the diploma and there we go with the stereotyping of intelligence and skill.

I just can't stand this diploma crap. You don't have to go to college just to show that you can accomplish something.

Another example of stereotyping, this is.