JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan. - 05-08-2008, 09:20 AM

I am going to put it out there straight. There are millions of people that want to go to Japan and live there. (Work seems to be a distraction.)

People that aren't college graduates are not attractive candidates for work in Japan (or any foreign country, for that mater).

If you cannot complete the equivilent of a four-year degree program, then why would an employer in Japan hire you?

People that don't go to college don't get to be international businessmen.

Fair or not, that's how it is.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

05-08-2008, 10:00 AM

I think it's also safe to say that most of the people that are wanting to live in Japan really ought to go there for some time before making such important plans. I seem to see a lot of people that dream of living in Japan, purely from stories of a perfect society. I have to say, those people seem rather naïve.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM

I completely agree with ossan.. living needs money.. to get money you have to work.. unless you came from a rich family, working here in Japan needs knowledge and desire to work more.. you also must have a tolerate manner regarding to whom you're working with.. it is good to get experience in Japan but I think it is better to serve your own country..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Second all that. Being rich will help you to live, but not to stay

I am glad that MMM spelled it right out, a lot of kids are dreaming of going to Japan because of the mix culture and the anime/cosplay culture there. How many threads have we seen already with kids asking how they can go to Japan and stay there when they really don't have any skills or academic background to offer the Japanese government for a VISA
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-08-2008, 01:44 PM

MMM - well put. I see far too much turn over in the workplace when it comes to the younger generation and it is rarely as well tolerated in the rest of the world as it is in the U.S. It is especially true of those who have not already invested the discipline of years studying in academia or a trade, and every Human Resource office knows this.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
05-08-2008, 01:45 PM

*clap clap*

Well said, MMM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-08-2008, 01:59 PM

In addition to employment and work visa issues, when you move to another country you will have to adapt to a completely different culture. You have to be realistic and very determined to endure the stress of the first few years. That's not to say that you won't eventually enjoy your new home, but when the novelty wears off it may not be the dream you expected.

Personally, I just want to be able to visit for a month or two at a time and keep it a refreshing change from my normal life and enjoyable experience. Give me a month each in Japan, Korea and Scotland and the rest of my year at home would a far better way of life.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-08-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
In addition to employment and work visa issues, when you move to another country you will have to adapt to a completely different culture.
And also to RESPECT IT and respect yourself. I took a kid, someone I mentored when he was a coop student working for me, he is now 24, he was so immature and disrespectful, I wanted to push him down the shinkansen platform....

Its sad to see how the younger generation like to portrait themselves to the public these days..... in reality, thats not what the general public looks for, and definitely, in Japan, people look for more etiquettecy
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-08-2008, 05:35 PM

It is an unfortunate fact in life, but people that can't graduate from college don't get to be international businessmen.

How many "I didn't go to college, and I don't want to teach English, so how can I live comfortably in Japan?" threads have we seen?

You have to give a little to get a little. I feel no sympathy for those that say "I have no marketable skills, but I don't want to 'lower myself' to teach English."

Guess what. You have one marketable skill. What do you think all the foreigners in Japan are doing?

I thought everyone would jump on me for this thread...I am pleasantly surprised by the positive responses.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Akakage (Offline)
JF Regular

05-08-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
You have to give a little to get a little. I feel no sympathy for those that say "I have no marketable skills, but I don't want to 'lower myself' to teach English."

Guess what. You have one marketable skill. What do you think all the foreigners in Japan are doing?
I agree (You weren't expecting that from me ). Whether you go to college or a trade school, you need to be marketable. As Napoleon Dynamite says "Chicks dig guys with skills". I was wondering if the moderator would be able to make this one a sticky. It could serve as a source of good information...maybe rename it to "What must a person do in order to realistically live in Japan" or something like that. We could compile all the information on exchange programs for schools, what would be the best subject to major in while in college if one wants to go to Japan. If college is not an option, what skills or trades are in demand in Japan, how much experience is needed for those trades, etc. Just an idea.

A question about degrees, does anyone know Japan's policy on distance degrees? I know Taiwan doesn't see them as valid. Is Japan the same? If Japan accepts them I think that would be a great alternative to those who cannot enroll in a college full time but still want a degree to go Japan.