JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

05-10-2008, 09:37 AM

just a basic answer here about coming to Japan to teach Martial arts. I would say it is like going to France to teach french cuisine or to Italy to teach pasta making.
Unless you are already well know in your field of expertise it would be a super hard task to set yourself.

Now if you had won a few world titles and already run a dojo where you are, then you have a really good chance of making it over here.

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Doutas (Offline)
New to JF

05-10-2008, 06:37 PM

Hi,

I am currently working on the seminary work, a study about discrimination of foreigners in Japan, so I would like to ask you, if you have ever felt discriminated because of your origin or if you have ever noticed such kind of discrimination in your surroundings. Thank you very much

人生はチョコレートの箱、開けて見るまでわからない
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-11-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruchan View Post
Unless you have Japanese parents or grandparents, you can never become Japanese citizen. THe most you can be is Permanent Resident status. But before you get PR status, you need some kind of valid visa first...
False. Absolutely false. It says otherwise somewhere on the very website you linked. It takes years, between five and ten, and involves a number of complicated permutations of your marriage status, your income, your contributions to Japan, your intended life plans and goals... But that's just false. I can name at least three naturalized European-descended citizens (two Americans and one Finn) of the top of my head, and only because two of those are members of the Japanese government and one is considered a foremost expert on Japan, especially on gaijin relations. There are plenty of others who are leading normal lives and are not public figures. Sorry, Eruchan. You're wrong on this one.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-11-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:

Unless you have Japanese parents or grandparents, you can never become Japanese citizen. THe most you can be is Permanent Resident status.
I also beg to differ, being as I have no Japanese lineage and am currently in the middle of the citizenship paperwork. Check your facts.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
eruchan (Offline)
New to JF

05-11-2008, 05:46 AM

Actually, maybe, you can then teach me how to get the citizenship. I mean, I went to Shinagawa Immigration and asked 2 times and they said to me the same thing. I also have other family members who are foreigners and want to get citizenship but unfortunately couldn't get through. Maybe Nyororin-san can tell me what to do when you actually get your citizenship. but, until then, I can see only 1 fact, that Tsuwabuki-san, Nyororin-san, and myself are still not yet citizen (i assume).
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-11-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Actually, maybe, you can then teach me how to get the citizenship. I mean, I went to Shinagawa Immigration and asked 2 times and they said to me the same thing. I also have other family members who are foreigners and want to get citizenship but unfortunately couldn't get through. Maybe Nyororin-san can tell me what to do when you actually get your citizenship. but, until then, I can see only 1 fact, that Tsuwabuki-san, Nyororin-san, and myself are still not yet citizen (i assume).
There's no 'maybe' about it. It's a fact and it's happening in my own neighborhood! A Chinese family who move to Japan about 6-7 years ago just received Japanese citizenship last year. A Brazilian family on the next block got it a few years ago. In both families, the parents don't even speak that much Japanese (The kids do as they have been going to school here). Those people aren't biologically part-Japanese, either.

How about Martti Turunen? He's from Finland and is now not only a Japanese citizen but is also a highly respected member of the Japanese Diet.

Bobby Ologon! He's a comedian from Nigeria, now a citizen of Japan. He's a pic of Bobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3976583140.jpg (1.8 KB, 124 views)
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-11-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
What did you ask them?
There is a freaking ton of paperwork, some of which I need to still go to the US to get official copies of things for (such as proof of which number child I am). As I really really do not want to do that, for various reasons, I`m taking the long route that lets me do without them.

You can get citizenship, and I know of several people who have. It takes time.

If you just recently moved to Japan and went and asked, then no, you can`t. You have to have been in Japan for a certain number of years, but yes it is indeed completely possible. Your family members likely cannot receive citizenship, unless they too have married a Japanese citizen, lived in Japan for so many years, etc. You can`t just go any apply anytime you feel like it. There are requirements and things which can rule you out.

Ask about 帰化 - all the offices around me have been more than helpful to help me, but it will still take a year or two to process.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

05-11-2008, 07:58 AM

What Might rule you out? Other than Number of years lived in Japan? Or the obvious stuff like felony crimes, tax evasion, and other criminal offenses.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-11-2008, 10:52 AM

I want to go to Japan on a year long working holiday visa but I DON'T want to teach English if I can help it. Preferably I want a job that doesn't place a lot of responsibility on me and the only thing that is expected of me is to not mess up. Working in a pub for example would be sweet. Of course I will take a lot of money with me there so that I can travel during time off... I will just need a job to make ends meet.

I am studying at Japanese at uni and am able to hold down a basic conversation. I would consider my ability at an intermediate level... or at least that's the goal. By the end of the year I'll be expected to gain a lvl 3 when I sit the JPLT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test).

Is this realistic? Any suggestions?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
eruchan (Offline)
New to JF

05-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
What did you ask them?
There is a freaking ton of paperwork, some of which I need to still go to the US to get official copies of things for (such as proof of which number child I am). As I really really do not want to do that, for various reasons, I`m taking the long route that lets me do without them.

You can get citizenship, and I know of several people who have. It takes time.

If you just recently moved to Japan and went and asked, then no, you can`t. You have to have been in Japan for a certain number of years, but yes it is indeed completely possible. Your family members likely cannot receive citizenship, unless they too have married a Japanese citizen, lived in Japan for so many years, etc. You can`t just go any apply anytime you feel like it. There are requirements and things which can rule you out.

Ask about 帰化 - all the offices around me have been more than helpful to help me, but it will still take a year or two to process.
after the 2 times that i went to shinagawa, i kinda gave up on citizenship. i wanted to get it becoz my husband is japanese and i thought that it'd be easier on many things, especially if there happens to be any national crisis. i went there around 1 year ago and it was a no good and basically, their reply to me was that citizenship applications are by default not granted except for special circumstances.