JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
eruchan (Offline)
New to JF

Living in Japan is not easy - 05-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Just a little intro about myself. I am from Australia and have been living here in Japan for 4.5 years now. I have worked in a japanese office of an international company for 3.5 years and decided to quit the job and learn japanese fulltime.

I just happened to find this forum and realized that there are many people out there like me who want to come to japan or will actually come here in the short future.

This has just reminded me how difficult it was to settle in and adapt to japanese cultures and their way of doing things when I first arrived. Luckily, I have my husband to help me a bit (he is japanese) but I can really imagine for those who are coming here on your own with no friends/family, it can be hectic.

So, for those of you who want to have some advice, please feel free to post a reply to this. I will help as much as I can.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
05-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Hey. A question here.

Are the Japanese a rather rude group of people to foreigners?
and do they often stare or gaze at non Japanese? LOL thanks

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#3 (permalink))
Old
eruchan (Offline)
New to JF

05-09-2008, 01:40 PM

i don't think they are rude. it's just they are very curious, i would put it. they sometimes look at foreigners and find us interesting becoz of how we act.

Don't forget that asians who live in western countries always think that the foreigners are rude too. it's just the same thing.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
05-09-2008, 01:53 PM

ok awesome. Also for an anime fan who, if he goes to japan and expects to spend hundreds at akihabra.... How much to you recccomend I bring for about 2 weeks worth.

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#5 (permalink))
Old
eruchan (Offline)
New to JF

05-09-2008, 02:02 PM

well, that really depends on whether you want to buy new anime or old ones. there is a 6F second hand bookshop called Bookoff that sells video games, anime and stuff. some of the older ones, you can get for 100 yen each (US1).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

05-09-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaCrisis View Post
ok awesome. Also for an anime fan who, if he goes to japan and expects to spend hundreds at akihabra.... How much to you recccomend I bring for about 2 weeks worth.
Can you speak and read Japanese ?

Most of the hot buys are published in the native tounge (Japanese) so if you don't nihongo then you aint going to spend much money.

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#7 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

05-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruchan View Post
Just a little intro about myself. I am from Australia and have been living here in Japan for 4.5 years now. I have worked in a japanese office of an international company for 3.5 years and decided to quit the job and learn japanese fulltime.

I just happened to find this forum and realized that there are many people out there like me who want to come to japan or will actually come here in the short future.

This has just reminded me how difficult it was to settle in and adapt to japanese cultures and their way of doing things when I first arrived. Luckily, I have my husband to help me a bit (he is japanese) but I can really imagine for those who are coming here on your own with no friends/family, it can be hectic.

So, for those of you who want to have some advice, please feel free to post a reply to this. I will help as much as I can.

I have now chosen Japan as my place to live and could not care less about the obstacles. Without a challenge there is no reason to live. To master a challenge makes ones life a richer place and lets face it, life can be hard anywhere on this planet but at least in Japan the effort pays off good if you succeed.

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

05-10-2008, 05:13 AM

I'm a Martial Artist and I'd like to go to Japan to Study and Teach Martial Arts. My ultimate goal is to open my own Dojo (yes in Japan).

I'd like to know about buissness sense you might have to have. How buissness is conducted between the Japanese and Forigners wanting to start Buissnesses in Japan. Especially working with Japanese youth and children.

Sorry if the question seems compicated but it's one that has been eating at me for awile.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
eruchan (Offline)
New to JF

05-10-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
I have now chosen Japan as my place to live and could not care less about the obstacles. Without a challenge there is no reason to live. To master a challenge makes ones life a richer place and lets face it, life can be hard anywhere on this planet but at least in Japan the effort pays off good if you succeed.
I totally agree. Life is much more interesting when you master a challenge. Also stepping out of your comfort zone usually gets you into many other great opportunities!!!

More information on Japan? Go to my blog!!
"Lost in Japan"
(#10 (permalink))
Old
eruchan (Offline)
New to JF

05-10-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura View Post
I'm a Martial Artist and I'd like to go to Japan to Study and Teach Martial Arts. My ultimate goal is to open my own Dojo (yes in Japan).

I'd like to know about buissness sense you might have to have. How buissness is conducted between the Japanese and Forigners wanting to start Buissnesses in Japan. Especially working with Japanese youth and children.

Sorry if the question seems compicated but it's one that has been eating at me for awile.
Hmm... your question is a complicated one, i agree. I'm not familiar with martial arts but let me tell you what i know and see about businesses in japan in general.

There are a few factors you need to think about:

1. Visa
Unless you have Japanese parents or grandparents, you can never become Japanese citizen. THe most you can be is Permanent Resident status. But before you get PR status, you need some kind of valid visa first - mainly issued visas are student, working, or spouse. In anyway, try to get one of them. Visa status can be changed after you come to Japan. Visit here for more details

2. Language Skills
Do you speak Japanese? If you don't now. I suggest that you start working on your Japanese skills. THis is not only useful for your business but for sure you need to be able to speak some in your normal day to day life. People here really do not speak English and I mean, not even simple words.

3. Opening your dojo
I just had a quick look on the internet for you. Basically there are some dojos available but they seem to be full all the time. For example, the 東京武道館 (tokyo dojo)http://www.tef.or.jp/tb/index.php has several dojos available for public rental but you have to go through a lucky draw process. That means, you can't have scheduled regular lessons. Your best bet will be to make your own dojo but that would be quite expensive not to mention that many shop owners do not rent to foreigners. My suggestion is to go into some kind of martial art association and see if there is anyone who would share the facilities with you.

4. Needs of a dojo
You should also think about who your target customers will be. There are many many dojos in Japan and you should define how you can get your customers. Personally, I think you can use your English skills to attract customers such as "Learn English while learning Karate (for example) as your business model. There is a huge market here in Japan for teaching English. Many japanese parents are willing to pay loads to put their kids into English schools etc. So, I think you have a good advantage as compared to other dojos. However, having said this, i know that there are some dojos that are using this business model already but not too many of them yet.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

More information on Japan? Go to my blog!!
"Lost in Japan"