LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-21-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I want to offer my opinion to the opposite of this.
They don`t necessarily do a "better" job. Unless we`re talking about the driven innovators, they are often so tied down in office politics that it`s difficult to even get the most basic things done.
Even if someone above you doesn`t really have any part in the decision you are making, and even if they are in a different department... You still have to show respect by waiting for their opinion. I can`t even begin to count how many times my husband has spent half his workday (or more) doing "maintenance" type work while waiting for someone, somewhere, to call him so that there is no break in the respect.
It`s definitely not efficient, but when you`re going to likely spend the rest of your life working around these people - it`s important. You can`t just up and quit, head over to another office and be hired.
Absolutely right, and I wonder where those that don't think Americans are good or efficient workers base that opinion on...especially those that have never been a part of the American workforce.

Efficiency is far from a priority in the Japanese work place. Look at the court systems. Remember the OJ case and how it took over a year. It took the Japanese courts a DECADE to rule on Asahara Shoke, the leader of the Tokyo Sarin Gas Attack.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
05-21-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Absolutely right, and I wonder where those that don't think Americans are good or efficient workers base that opinion on...especially those that have never been a part of the American workforce.
It's not that.
I was discussing minimum wage jobs.
I've been part of the American workforce since I was 13
And what I've seen is that Americans, or foreigners with American jobs, when their paid low wage they tend to let alot of things slip in the cracks.

While Japanese do not.
You can tell this by even looking at how clean Japanese buildings are vs American buildings.
And of course this doesn't apply to all of those two categories.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#23 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-21-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
For example, at a conference you would never ever hear a Japanese person complain about his boss, for example, or his salary to someone from another company. An American wouldn't think twice about doing that. It's not right or wrong, just different.
That's what izakaiya's are for though!
(#24 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-21-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV View Post
It's not that.
And what I've seen is that Americans, or foreigners with American jobs, when their paid low wage they tend to let alot of things slip in the cracks.

While Japanese do not.
You can tell this by even looking at how clean Japanese buildings are vs American buildings.
Most of the buildings out here are pretty filthy... I guess the humidity doesn't help that though as it just eats into everything!

Seriously, you are wasting your time putting Japan on a pedestel and America in the bin - ALL countries have good and bad points so don't think Japan is 100% squeeky-clean just because things are easier to sweep under the rug and pretend they never happened out here!
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-21-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV View Post
It's not that.

While Japanese do not.
I think you are right that in minimum wage jobs in the service industry you probably see a better attitude from workers in Japan rather than in the US.

The reason is that Japanese feel like they are a part of a team, even if they work at a fast-food restaurant or at a gas station. Americans don't feel that sense of "teamwork" at that level of job. This us a cultural trait that goes very deep in Japan.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-21-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Traditionally, Japanese worked for one company their whole lives, and in return, one is completely dedicated to that company. That isn't as true today as it was 20 years ago, though I would say that Japanese, as a rule, are more respectful and dedicated to their companies than Americans are, but there is a cultural vein to that.
Seems that was the case in the US too many years ago. A person could work with a company until he or she retires. Seems it's not the case much now.
Quote:
For example, at a conference you would never ever hear a Japanese person complain about his boss, for example, or his salary to someone from another company. An American wouldn't think twice about doing that. It's not right or wrong, just different.
I guess I'm a "different' person. I'd never complain about my boss at such a place. I'm a suck up for the most part. My boss tells me to jump, I ask "how high". lol Complaining about pay, that seems to be very common, and working in a school, I'm hearing it more and more from the teachers there.
Quote:
There's give and take to that. I know Japanese that have never been on trips as a family. There is no sense of loss about that, it's just that tourist vacations as a family aren't as big a priority as they are to Americans.
That's interesting. I couldn't even imagine not taking a family-based trip, as a kid of course.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 05-21-2008 at 03:34 AM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-21-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
I think you are right that in minimum wage jobs in the service industry you probably see a better attitude from workers in Japan rather than in the US.

The reason is that Japanese feel like they are a part of a team, even if they work at a fast-food restaurant or at a gas station. Americans don't feel that sense of "teamwork" at that level of job. This us a cultural trait that goes very deep in Japan.
I agree with that, and I feel that the main reason for the lack of "teamwork" thing might have to do with trust. At the job I have now, as sad as it sounds, I have no trust for any of my coworkers and feel very alone there. I don't want to work with people I have no trust for, but since I have no choice, I grin and bare it.

I really wish I could find a job where I did feel like I was a part of a team or important to the company. Every job I've had, I've only felt expendable.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
05-23-2008, 11:45 AM

So in Japan you would never ask for a raise?
(#29 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-23-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorotsuki View Post
So in Japan you would never ask for a raise?
I did (and got it as I was working well outside of my contract)... though I don't work for a Japanese company so might be different
(#30 (permalink))
Old
LAKKO (Offline)
JF

Send a message via MSN to LAKKO Send a message via Skype™ to LAKKO
05-23-2008, 03:19 PM

What jobs might a foreigner be able to do in japan with any kind o degree F.X. what did you do in japan and how was the work ??

Japan 2012