JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
acase (Offline)
New to JF

best international schools in Tokyo - 05-19-2008, 08:15 PM

Hi all,

I will be enrolling my middle schoolers in an international school in Tokyo beginning next year. Any advice as to which ones are the best?

Thanks,
Al

TravelJapanBlog.com
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-19-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acase View Post
Hi all,

I will be enrolling my middle schoolers in an international school in Tokyo beginning next year. Any advice as to which ones are the best?

Thanks,
Al

TravelJapanBlog.com
What is your situation in this case?

Do you live in Japan already or are you moving to there?

If the company you are working for is moving you there, most likely you would receive concession on the tuition.

But if you have your own business or got a job in Japan, you are expected to pay the full amount which is around $12,000 a year.

Anyways, here are some of the schools that I have looked into.

The American School in Japan (AJIS) The American School in Japan - ASIJ - Tokyo

All Boys - St. Mary's International School
St. Mary's International School - Home

All Girls - Seisen International School
Seisen International School

There are many more so just search international school tokyo on Google and you should have plenty of hits.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
acase (Offline)
New to JF

moving to japan - 05-20-2008, 11:46 PM

We'll be moving to Japan. My employer won't be paying so cost is an issue. I'd prefer only coed schools as I have a daughter and a son and would like them to be at the same school.

I'm hoping for more than just google search results. I'd really like to hear from those who have tried one or more of them or who know people who have and have heard feedback.

Thanks!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-21-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
We'll be moving to Japan. My employer won't be paying so cost is an issue. I'd prefer only coed schools as I have a daughter and a son and would like them to be at the same school.

I'm hoping for more than just google search results. I'd really like to hear from those who have tried one or more of them or who know people who have and have heard feedback.

Thanks!
OK, the ones I listed are top international schools in Tokyo both in reputation and in size as well.

Only coed one is ASIJ among these three.

Tuitions are about same everywhere and I think it comes down to your preference.

ASIJ obviously offers American curriculum while other two offer international baccalaureate but they are still influenced by American style education system.

My past research involves my kids but they are still young so I do not have actual insights.

Good luck!!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
acase (Offline)
New to JF

cost - 05-21-2008, 07:49 PM

The cost looks closer to $30,000 each than it does to $12,000. Where are you getting the $12k figure from?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-25-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
The cost looks closer to $30,000 each than it does to $12,000. Where are you getting the $12k figure from?
Sorry, I meant to say $21,000 just for the tuition.

With all other fees, I'm sure it'll be more.

I think the costs can be minimized if for example, you live within commutable distance using public transportation so you don't need to pay for school bus.

Good luck.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
05-25-2008, 05:18 PM

I think it would be cheaper to have them learn Japanese and go to a normal school.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
canerbasci (Offline)
New to JF

International school in Japan - 08-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Hi,

I can advise you Horizon Japan International school which has branches in both Tokyo and Yokohama. I have some friends whose children are attending to that international school and I can easily say that all of them are highly pleasant about the school's education. Although this school is new as far as I know they showed a great performance to prove themselves in a very short time as my friends mention. For your reference below is the school's website:

Horizon Japan International School - Tokyo and Yokohama

Caner,
(#9 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

08-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Hi,

If you are looking for international schools in Tokyo, check this list International Schools List | Useful Information | realestate-tokyo.com
I would recommend ASIJ (American School In Japan, Nishimachi or Yokohama purely on their reputation). You need to be a little careful as some schools use ththe name 'international' when they are really not fulfilling all the criteria - i.e. do the exams your children sit meet accreditation requirements in your home country?

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Parentaltime (Offline)
New to JF

Another Coed Option - 12-14-2009, 08:17 AM

There is actually another coed international school in Tokyo, KAIS International School, with both a junior high and high school program. It's a pretty unique type of school, a LOT smaller than ASIJ and the big ones, but it has a really good reputation for its personal bent on academics and creative programs. My friend's son went there and absolutely loved it.
Website here - KAIS International School in Tokyo

Also, in regards to the tuition discussion, international schools are indeed pretty expensive, although some, such as Kobe international, have reduced rates for families who aren't sponsored by companies. Also, some of the smaller schools like KAIS offer scholarships to some students. It never hurts to ask.