JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
zhukis (Offline)
New to JF

I have the opportunity to work in Japan for a few years but... - 05-27-2008, 10:22 PM

Good day,

As it seems, the place I currently work at has a section in Japan and I could transfer there if I had an interest to do so, but before I make any non rational decisions, I would like to gather information.

First things first, I am Lithuanian by nationality, which is more then likely a complete rarity in Japan. Would there be any issues with this? From the general perspective I gained about the current demographic of the country, it seems that the mass majority of white foreigners seem to be Native English speakers and are expected to be American.

Second my physical traits. I am a lot taller then what the average Japanese person would be. I am currently 221cm high(7.2506feet according to Google calculator for you Americans) with medium-high muscular build. Would I fit there in public transportation and the like, would it be possible for me to buy clothes or would I feel like a walking zoo exhibit?

I have a good enough grasp of Japanese for official meetings and my grammatic abilities are about only as good as to allow me to read a decent book or a newspaper, either way, I could polish my Japanese skills while actually being there, but would the official polite Japanese version be enough for the start? I have no experience whatsoever what concerns Japanese slang or unofficial talk.

Afterwards, I am nearly fluent to fluent in English, German, Danish, Swedish, French, Latin, Greek, Polish, Russian, Lithuanian, Latvian and Chinese. Would knowing any of these languages give me an Advantage while staying in Japan? (Don't ask, Languages are a hobby of mine.)

As for education, I currently have a masters degree in Bio Engineering and Bio Chemistry and a bachelors in Mathematics, would someone like me have decent abilities to get a decent job in Japan? (Lets say here if I wasn't working in my current company and wanted to get a different job, you should always have a backup plan, you never know if I'll have to look for a place to work half-time or not) Are these forms of education in demand?

I have a very unique name for a foreigners tongue, (I have yet to meet a foreigner who could pronounce it correctly) could this possibly cause any issues?

Due to work I would probably have to live near the center of Tokyo, my salary would most likely be something along the lines of ~4000 to 6000 Euro a month (Somewhere along the lines of 650 000 to 950 000 yen, how much value would that money have for a Japanese?), is that enough money for a single to live in a location like that?

And lastly, would it be troublesome for me to make Japanese friends there? If some showed up to the area thats roughly half a meter taller then everyone else, I'd be scared of myself as well.

Sorry, for the long post. Hope you can answer my questions.

Last edited by zhukis : 05-27-2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Typoes, fixes, clarifications.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-27-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukis View Post
Good day,

As it seems, the place I currently work at has a section in Japan and I could transfer there if I had an interest to do so, but before I make any non rational decisions, I would like to gather information.

First things first, I am Lithuanian by nationality, which is more then likely a complete rarity in Japan. Would there be any issues with this? From the general perspective I gained about the current demographic of the country, it seems that the mass majority of white foreigners seem to be Native English speakers and are expected to be American.
No issues. Just be used to people not knowing where Lithuania is. I don't think "expected" to be American is true. There are many Europeans living in Japan.
Quote:
Second my physical traits. I am a lot taller then what the average Japanese person would be. I am currently 221cm high(7.2506feet according to Google calculator for you Americans) with medium-high muscular build. Would I fit there in public transportation and the like, would it be possible for me to buy clothes or would I feel like a walking zoo exhibit?
I am sure the taxis, subways and buses are about the same size in Lithuania as they are in Japan. Buying clothes will not likely be possible, unless you find a tailor (and a lot of money).

Quote:

I have a good enough grasp of Japanese for official meetings and my grammatic abilities are about only as good as to allow me to read a decent book or a newspaper, either way, I could polish my Japanese skills while actually being there, but would the official polite Japanese version be enough for the start? I have no experience whatsoever what concerns Japanese slang or unofficial talk.
If you can read a newspaper and understand official meetings, then your Japanese is better than 99% of foreigners living in Japan.

Quote:
Afterwards, I am nearly fluent to fluent in English, German, Danish, Swedish, French, Latin, Greek, Polish, Russian, Lithuanian, Latvian and Chinese. Would knowing any of these languages give me an Advantage while staying in Japan? (Don't ask, Languages are a hobby of mine.)
Sure. You could be a translator or interpreter on the side.

Quote:
As for education, I currently have a masters degree in Bio Engineering and Bio Chemistry and a bachelors in Mathematics, would someone like me have decent abilities to get a decent job in Japan? (Lets say here if I wasn't working in my current company and wanted to get a different job, you should always have a backup plan, you never know if I'll have to look for a place to work half-time or not) Are these forms of education in demand?
All you have to do is say "Masters Degree" and you are in very good shape.

Quote:
I have a very unique name for a foreigners tongue, (I have yet to meet a foreigner who could pronounce it correctly) could this possibly cause any issues?
My name is very common and it cannot be pronounced correctly in Japan. If it isn't an issue for you, then it isn't an issue, but I recommend thinking of a simple nick-name.

Quote:
Due to work I would probably have to live near the center of Tokyo, my salary would most likely be something along the lines of ~4000 to 6000 Euro a month (Somewhere along the lines of 650 000 to 950 000 yen, how much value would that money have for a Japanese?), is that enough money for a single to live in a location like that?
Yes, it should be plenty.

Quote:
And lastly, would it be troublesome for me to make Japanese friends there? If some showed up to the area thats roughly half a meter taller then everyone else, I'd be scared of myself as well.

Sorry, for the long post. Hope you can answer my questions.
I think your personality, not your height will determine that.

Sounds like a great chance. I would sure take it!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2008, 12:29 AM

You may get a few looks for your height in public, but you'll be just fine at the workplace and, if its your fancy, the nightlife. Some of the quickest people to make Japanese friends I found were 1) Those that spoke (or attempted to speak) Japanese, and 2) Those that stood out.

I wish I had your drive for languages. I just might have to use you as an inspiration to study again.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Senshi (Offline)
New to JF

06-11-2008, 09:39 PM

Wow, those credentials are amazing. Like MMM said, if you have a master's degree you can get a job. I'm surprised you aren't working at a think tank or something with your abilities, it's really remarkable.

Japanese don't expect foreigners to speak their language like a native speaker, and it sounds like you're already easily fluent enough for most positions, so I think if you want to go, by all means give it a shot. Good luck!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-11-2008, 10:29 PM

I think your questions have been pretty much covered.

But did I just read this right... "nearly fluent in latin" ? Well. That's kickass... spend much time in the vatican?

Ge mig lite svenska så jag får höra ^^
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Like MMM said, if you have a master's degree you can get a job.
Don't know about that But then I gave up looking so the market may have changed since