JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Jessica91 (Offline)
Secrets should be kept...

Whats cool and whats not in Japan? - 05-28-2008, 01:50 PM

I live in England and there are some things that we say (slang wise), stuff thats cool to like and somethings that are not (Chavs, Busted and so on). Y'know, stuff within a culture that people just don't tell you about in travel guides and stuff. Just wondering, but what cool to say/do in Japan and whats not? Thanks!

Jessicaxo

(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-28-2008, 10:58 PM

As a gaijin, it's probably just safe to stick with formal/polite speech. I wouldn't try going around using slang, personally in fear of doing just what you're saying...offending them.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jessica91 (Offline)

05-28-2008, 11:59 PM

oh no, I won't be going to japan any time soon and I wouldn't use the slang or try and be "cool" I was just wondering that all!

Jessicaxo

(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-29-2008, 12:11 PM

I could be wrong, so do wait for MMM or Nagoyankee's reply, but according to my uncle (local Japanese), a lot of reponses used in J-Drama and animate are consider slang and bad/impolite form:

I understand - Proper form would be "Wakarimashita", short slang form "Wakada"

Amazing - Proper form "Sugoi", short slang form - suge

Things like that, I don't know the full list as I don't know them for the most part, and if I do use them my uncle get upset at me, so I pretty much just sticked to whats in the book.

Again, I could be wrong, given that uncle is one of those extremely old fashioned Japanese that won't even let my girlfriend sleep in the same room with me when we visited Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Jessica91 (Offline)

05-29-2008, 02:17 PM

oh so thats what japanese slang is like. Now I also know two more japanese words, amazing and I understand! But apart from shortening their phrases and words, do the japanese have other things they say? Here for example, some people put "like" in their sentences (as in "I was like, wow!") and words such as "cool" and "dude" and stuff like that... do the Japanese have that? Now I'm really curious!

Jessicaxo

(#6 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

05-29-2008, 02:23 PM

I only know okama, but don't use it because it's an offensive slang for homosexuals. It's also outdated in Japan from what I've heard.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-29-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie2590 View Post
I only know okama, but don't use it because it's an offensive slang for homosexuals. It's also outdated in Japan from what I've heard.
That is correct, but Okama also mean other things, so as long as you are not addressing someone as Okama, thats fine.

Though Okama is something that was used in comedy a lot in reference to the homosexual crowd
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Again, I could be wrong, given that uncle is one of those extremely old fashioned Japanese that won't even let my girlfriend sleep in the same room with me when we visited Japan
Nothing "extremely old-fashioned" about that. I wouldn't let my nephew sleep with his girlfriend in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica91 View Post
oh so thats what japanese slang is like. Now I also know two more japanese words, amazing and I understand! But apart from shortening their phrases and words, do the japanese have other things they say? Here for example, some people put "like" in their sentences (as in "I was like, wow!") and words such as "cool" and "dude" and stuff like that... do the Japanese have that? Now I'm really curious!
You are applying English values to a completely different language. There is no "like" or "dude" in Japanese. Without speaking Japanese it is difficult to understand.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-29-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie2590 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
That is correct, but Okama also mean other things, so as long as you are not addressing someone as Okama, thats fine.

Though Okama is something that was used in comedy a lot in reference to the homosexual crowd
I don't think it is that outdated or offensive. They use it on TV all the time.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-29-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Nothing "extremely old-fashioned" about that. I wouldn't let my nephew sleep with his girlfriend in my house.
I think in this case "old fashioned" is that mind set we got sometime over the age of 30.

Quote:
You are applying English values to a completely different language. There is no "like" or "dude" in Japanese. Without speaking Japanese it is difficult to understand.
There is really no use of "like" or "dude" such as this in English either. This particular Slang makes a bad impression on many adults in English and you certainly would make a bad impression in Japanese if there is an equivalent.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.