JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Senshi (Offline)
New to JF

Question Can you Teach English and go to School in Japan? - 06-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just happened upon it today, and saw there were Japanese here and people who like Japan.

I'm a college graduate with a few degrees, and I'm planning on doing pre-med in prep for medical school (I have degrees in a social science.) I was wondering if anyone knows whether I could teach English and attend the classes. I would love to be in Japan for a few years and get completely fluent, but with my med-school plans, it a bit difficult.

Anyone have any ideas?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-11-2008, 07:56 PM

How fluent is your Japanese?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Senshi (Offline)
New to JF

06-11-2008, 08:51 PM

I'm actually pretty rusty now. I can have a basic conversation, but a lot of my reading aptitude has declined because I originally was doing self-study and haven't had much opportunity in college because of classes. I've just recently had the opportunity to take Japanese that wouldn't conflict with my major.

I guess somewhere in the intermediate range.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
butterflymiko18 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to butterflymiko18 Send a message via MSN to butterflymiko18 Send a message via Yahoo to butterflymiko18 Send a message via Skype™ to butterflymiko18
06-11-2008, 09:14 PM

Actually, yes. It probably won't be easy, but I think you can earn extra money by teaching English to little kids if your Japanese is pretty good. I don't think you need to be fluent, but it would help.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-11-2008, 09:14 PM

Well, you know how hard med-school is for fluent speakers of English, I am just thinking the application process alone could be pretty tough.

Do you speak German? Lots of Japanese medical terms come from German.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Senshi (Offline)
New to JF

06-11-2008, 09:29 PM

True, true.

I know it would be challenging, but I like challenges, and if I can pull this off well, it would look REALLY good on my application. I just am struggling at where I should go to start. I understand admissions in the U.S., but beyond the U.S. it's feels completely different.