JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
davidvoyage (Offline)
New to JF

Thinking of moving to Japan - 07-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. For your information, I was born in Hong Kong and living in Canada right now. I graduated with a degree in computer science in one of the top University in Canada. However, right now I'm thinking of changing career to Accounting. So I guess I'll stay in Canada for 4 more years in order to get an accounting designation (CGA) first before actually moving to Japan.

I know 3 languages, Chinese, English and French.

In order to prepare for moving to Japan in 4-5 years, I need to know what I need to prepare etc... Can I find an accounting job with CGA accounting designation?

Thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-22-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidvoyage View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. For your information, I was born in Hong Kong and living in Canada right now. I graduated with a degree in computer science in one of the top University in Canada. However, right now I'm thinking of changing career to Accounting. So I guess I'll stay in Canada for 4 more years in order to get an accounting designation (CGA) first before actually moving to Japan.

I know 3 languages, Chinese, English and French.

In order to prepare for moving to Japan in 4-5 years, I need to know what I need to prepare etc... Can I find an accounting job with CGA accounting designation?

Thanks.
Nice, same background here.. nice to meet you pal The only exception is that i decided to stay in IT/Engineering and didn't change my field

I don't know my about accounting, though both my sister and my brother in law are licenses CA, and they both told me (at some point) that a CGA is pretty much useless, your best bet is to get a CFA or CA designation.

Your criteria is definitely on the "likely" list, but you will definitely need to learn Japanese first, take a few beginner course, Seneca college offer these, or if you are in the Toronto region, JCCC have a great program, it cost less than Seneca, but require a yearly membership fee

If you never been to Japan before, do take a trip there first and make sure you will truly like it there, don't go as a tourist, but try to just live there for a week or so, get out and take the same train all the commuter would take and try it out to see how you'd like the rush hour there first.

MMM pointed out one thing previously, its hard to "truly experience" Japan if you are to just go for a week or 2 and live life as if its a vacation, most people either love it or hate it, given this being such a big decision in this part of your life, your best make sure that you are truly ready and willing/want to go
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-23-2008, 01:29 PM

The accounting degree is a great idea, one of the most portable educations there are!

In Japan there are probably plenty of jobs but there has to be some reason why they hire you instead of a Japanese national. That means some sort of connection with the West. You might find opportunities advising Japanese companies on American or Canadian corporate tax law, or handling investor inquiries, that sort of thing.

You might want to take a one or two week vacation in Japan to see what your impressions are and if it's a good fit for you. Then again, you could just go over there after you get your degree - after all, if you get there and don't like it, you have opportunities elsewhere.

Good luck!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
davidvoyage (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2008, 01:10 PM

Thx guys for your replies.

Yeah, I think I should go on vacation to Japan first and see if I like it or not.