LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

Considering Going to College in Japan - 06-23-2008, 02:26 AM

Hey, I'm starting Junior year and everyone knows what that means,
looking at colleges.
I'm really interested in studying in Japan and doing an ESL thing there.
I was originally considering Germany over Japan at first because my German
is better, but my teachers (both German and Japanese) said that Japan would be the better route.
So I was wondering, what was anyone's opinion on the matter.
The only school I've really looked into is Temple University, which is
an American University in Tokyo. It's about USD $6000 a semester and
they don't charge out of state fees.
If anyone has any suggestions, other schools, information, anything, let me know!
Thanks everyone!
(^_^)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
zachart (Offline)
RahXephon Addicted

Send a message via Yahoo to zachart
06-23-2008, 02:29 AM

i would... but i want to be a pilot... USA is best at aviation... that is why i will want to go to college there...((plus i live in the USA...))
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

06-23-2008, 05:15 AM

Go to Germany.

Better life style and you would definitely enjoy traveling across Europe while you are there.

And isn't education free for everyone in Germany?

You can come to Japan later cos you would waste your time if you come to Japan for education.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-23-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommasi View Post
Go to Germany.

Better life style and you would definitely enjoy traveling across Europe while you are there.

And isn't education free for everyone in Germany?

You can come to Japan later cos you would waste your time if you come to Japan for education.
Lol.

"Better" life style?

なんでやねん!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-23-2008, 12:49 PM

Japanese live a very busy life style, if you think you can get use to the busy/rush/pack style, then Japan is definitely fun

I don't know anything about europe, my fiancee dropped it from our list of honeymoon destination, so I guess I won't be seeing europe any time soon, so I really can't say much to compare

If you can afford it, I would recommend staying in each place for a week to experieince it a bit first before closing the deal, you really don't want to just go and study somewhere that you aren't sure of
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-23-2008, 05:23 PM

Wow, how bad a reputation the education in Japan seems to have...

It`s no worse than anywhere else. The university I attended here was certainly better than that which I attended in the US. The fundamental difference is that Japanese employers have education programs for new employees to school them in company specific policies and more in depth in the field they will be working in, where in a lot of other places it seems that companies expect you to be ready to work with full responsibility the day you graduate.

My personal recommendation would be to take an intensive Japanese course to bring your Japanese level up to the requirements for a regular Japanese university, and then to look around at a number of universities that have international student programs. You will gain valuable language and life skills, and also be able to decide whether you want to spend a full 4 years studying in Japan. If you don`t, you can always apply the language credit toward something else - if you do, you would then have a much much broader selection of schools to choose from.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

06-23-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
A bunch of good ideas.
Thanks! But there's one problem...
I don't have the money to do the following:
- Go on vacation to Germany and Japan. Maybe I can go to Lincoln Square (full of Germans) and Mitsuwa (Japanese mall thing) here around Chicago. But there's no way in Hell I could afford the vacations, hotels, flight, visas, etc. For going to 2 countries AND THEN paying for college. I wish I could, though.
- As for what Nyororin said about getting my Japanese better...
Well, I'm in Japanese classes now, so I'm working on it. But couldn't I go to the American University in Tokyo for a year or two, and by living there for two years I would gain freakin' immense language skill and then try to transfer into a Japanese school?
Thanks though everyone!!

Oh, and to...whoever said that Germany is better and has free education. (Sorry, I forgot your name.)
Anyways, Germany has free education for mandatory schooling AND citizens. So it doesn't even matter.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-23-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
Thanks! But there's one problem...
I don't have the money to do the following:
- Go on vacation to Germany and Japan. Maybe I can go to Lincoln Square (full of Germans) and Mitsuwa (Japanese mall thing) here around Chicago. But there's no way in Hell I could afford the vacations, hotels, flight, visas, etc. For going to 2 countries AND THEN paying for college. I wish I could, though.
I say to stick to one that you choose. If you feel more of a connection to Germany, and feel that you would rather study there (It looks like it was your first choice) I would say to go for it.
If you`d prefer Japan after doing the research, then it`s the right path to take. It is a choice only you can make.
I personally wouldn`t hang around "ethnic" spots, as they very very rarely reflect real culture. More just showing the bits which sell to the US audience. Base your view around that and you`ll be in for a big shock when you visit the real country.

Quote:
- As for what Nyororin said about getting my Japanese better...
Well, I'm in Japanese classes now, so I'm working on it. But couldn't I go to the American University in Tokyo for a year or two, and by living there for two years I would gain freakin' immense language skill and then try to transfer into a Japanese school?
I guess I didn`t write it clearly, but I was suggesting a Japanese language course in Japan. They usually have links to various universities to smooth the entrance process.
I personally would strongly advise against the American university route if you can avoid it. It would be an incredible waste. The goal at those sort of universities is "US immersion" - 9 times out of 10, 24 hour campus life in 100% English in a simulated US environment. Great for English learners and military kids who want to be anywhere other than in another country... But NOT for anyone who wants to learn about Japanese culture or the Japanese language. Their courses are in English, identical to the courses you would take in the US.

Totally defeats the purpose of studying abroad, in my opinion.

Plus, and again this is totally my personal view, Tokyo is a real waste of chances in Japan. Everyone I know who seems to end up hating Japan did so after living in Tokyo, surrounded by (bitter) foreigners.
If you only have one chance at studying abroad, I say make the best of it and head somewhere else where you`ll be pushed into experiencing as much of Japan as you can.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
VampireGirl1314 (Offline)
~I cant leave you~

Location: Japan 日本国, Jk Jk I live in Mexicali Mexico Baja California.
Send a message via MSN to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Yahoo to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Skype™ to VampireGirl1314
06-23-2008, 11:15 PM

Yep yep im planing on going to collage in Tokyo Japan do you know a good collage there for art.>^_^<

I could never be happier.
I found my missing piece and i know he wont leave me.
song by simple plan.
+{Member of the Crusnik Clan--Crusnik 04}+
+{Codename: Abel}+
I'm sorry for acting like this...
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-24-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGirl1314 View Post
Yep yep im planing on going to collage in Tokyo Japan do you know a good collage there for art.>^_^<
You don't choose a college for what city it's in, you choose a college that meets your needs in the field of study you want to focus on.