JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Befron (Offline)
JF Regular

Conisdering moving to Japan - 06-16-2008, 11:22 PM

I am considering moving to Japan for my adult life. I don't know much about Japan's current state though. How is Japan now and how do you predict it to be in a couple years? Is it like America with its quickly declining economic status and cultural and moral status too. Overall do you think it's different enough and worth the move? I hear it's innovative and a generally cool place to be. I just want some general opinions even if it doesn't answer these specific questions I've posed. Thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
stfuKAT (Offline)
New to JF

06-16-2008, 11:50 PM

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-17-2008, 12:28 AM

I think that before you decide to move somewhere, you should seriously look into things and see if it`s even a feasible idea.

There are a number of threads on this board covering most of what you`ve asked, and countless more detailing how you can`t just up and move to Japan.

And no, Japan is not like America - as much as the western media would love to play that card.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Befron (Offline)
JF Regular

06-17-2008, 12:34 AM

I know, I wasn't planning on just going there because it seems cool on the outside- trust me I wasn't just going to go blind I do have a lot to lose, and I am starting research at least a decade before I actually need to worry about it.

I really doubted it is that bad. America may be decent freedom wise, but has no moral value, and I don't think there is any country declining as quickly as America- economically, governmentally or socially. Even if media said that, I wouldn't believe them. Personally I think at least a quarter of America's demise is the media. I do however base all my opinions and decisions and views of the world off what I hear on the news. Whatever they tell me to think believe or do, I do the opposite, and I find myself living a happier and healthier life than many people.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
AlwaysPEPSI (Offline)
JF Regular

06-17-2008, 01:05 AM

I think the hardest thing would be getting a job so you can get a work visa... especially if you're not fluent in Japanese
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-17-2008, 02:43 AM

Japan may have what appears to be a politer society, as well as a very low crime rate. However, social and moral decay does exist, just as it does in almost all highly populated, developed countries - it's rather inevitable. Japan has a major problem with suicide and bullying, for example. The suicide rate in Japan is miles beyond most other countries.

My point is this: move to Japan because you want to move to Japan, not because you want to leave the United States. I've ran into people in Japan who had a negative attitude about life and said they came to Japan because they didn't like how things were in their home country. Let's just say they didn't fair much better in Japan, either.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Japan has a major problem with suicide and bullying, for example. The suicide rate in Japan is miles beyond most other countries.

My point is this: move to Japan because you want to move to Japan, not because you want to leave the United States. I've ran into people in Japan who had a negative attitude about life and said they came to Japan because they didn't like how things were in their home country. Let's just say they didn't fair much better in Japan, either.
I am in agreement with Hatredcopter. For the first one, I myself was stuck in the train TWICE in a week due to someone jumping in front of our train, one of them was on my way to Omiya and I was in the first coach, I felt the impact and the bump. At first, the efficiency (about a 15 minutes delay) shocked me as something like this will cause a track close down for hours here in Toronto. But later on, my uncle told me that it happen so frequent that people are somewhat ignoring it and treating it as any normal accident: Conductors come out, clean up, switch condunctors, carry on.

As for the second part, Japan sounds cool, and looks cool on picture. A lot of people are attracted by its animate/manga culture, while some is intrigued by its robotics culture. While you do see an extensive exposure of the subjected culture, it is more gear towards a younger generation. Most (someone can correct me, but these are info from my uncle and cousin) Japanese live an adequette life that pretty much "allow" them to live in that fantasy manga world up to a certain age, they will snap out of it and enter the work force and work like everyone else does when they reach a certain age, but extremely long working hours.

So, agree, only go if you want to go because of something practical and sustainable...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Thorn (Offline)
New to JF

06-17-2008, 03:12 PM

What kind of bullying is Hatredcopter referring to? Is it a children in school sort of thing or more of a hard-core racketeering type of bullying? Or have I missed the point entirely?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Befron (Offline)
JF Regular

06-18-2008, 12:21 AM

Pepsi- I'd imagine... since that would probably be one of your first experiences in person with someone in Japan, so I can see why it might be difficult to be not too confident in you skills.

godwine- I understand that- You can't find anywhere without diffusion into bad influences. By the way if my purpose was to ambiguously remove myself from America, I would sut move to Britain or somewhere and save myself the time of learning another language. But I can't believe many countries are declining as quickly as America. I am attracted to Japan by the people I see who come from there. I go to a school in America that is at least 50% Asian and of the ones that are Japanese and just generally from Asia, I have found them incredibly exceptionally intelligent. Also, I read so much about technology and mathematics (because the name of my HS is High Tech, and I like that stuff) and so much of the modern (as I realise Japan was closed off for quite a while a couple decades ago) technology articles involve Japanese people. Like not just a few more, like way more, namely, my interest, electrical engineering and sound. I can appreciate a stressed importance on education.

Last edited by Befron : 06-18-2008 at 12:24 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Forbidden (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Forbidden
06-18-2008, 01:06 AM

I am not really sure, but I know someone told me it is a better place to visit, rather than to move if you don't already live there.

Jacob Black The only reason, I read a rubbish of a book like Twilight.

myspace.com/iNokken
why can't I breath, when I am around you?